Parents Level 8 to 9 upgrades....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sounds like a busy summer for your daughter! Good luck with level 9. We just changed gyms and the new coach is still "evaluating" my dd, but I'm pretty confident she will repeat 8, and that's fine with me. She did get new music (YES!) and of course she will get new leo and warm ups and bag. She will be working on perfecting the tsuk, and maybe double back dismount on bars. On beam, I think straddle jump and floor going from a full twist to 1 1/2.
Good luck!!

GLM - I feel your pain, dd has to do the same type of crap on bars. It seems that some nights all she does is cast handstands. She gets very frustrated with the coach, she came out last night with her face all red and the first words out of her mouth is, "I hate him!" Obviously, her last rotation was bars!

GJ - Great things going on for your dd, it does sound like it will be an interesting fun summer.

VGM - Sounds like all is going well at the new gym. Even if she does do 8 again, it sounds like she is doing a lot of uptraining!!!!

As for my dd, last night she told me that HC told her that she was working very hard (yeah, compliment!!!) on beam. HC wants her to try to work side aerial into switch leg BWO. It's hard to explain, but very interesting - something like the way the BWO is done it is upgraded to a C skill (I don't nkow, this is what dd is telling me, but I'd like to assume that HC knows what she is talking about).

Dd also told me that I won't see her doing pike Yurchenkos in practice anymore, HC wants her to work tucks. HC said that when she pikes she arches her back and if she continues to do that, she will never progress to layout, which is ultimate stretch goal. So, she is working tucks with rounded back which is the correct progression to LO. As for competing though, until she gets the LO, she will continue to compete the pike.

On floor, dd was showing me all the crazy turn/jumps/leap combinations that HC wants her to be working last night while we were watching So You Think You Can Dance. You can just see the fire in dd's eyes - she is loving every minute of everything!!!! HC also has mentioned again that dd is due for a new routine, I wish she would tell me either way so I can budget the routine into my finances... :eek:

I'm a little behind here from your original post, but I just wanted to say WOW, I can't believe the skills your dd is working!! I don't even know what half of that stuff is! I don't know how you high level moms watch those routines without having a nervous breakdown...what amazing talent your dd has to reach such a high level in such a tough sport! Hope she has an awesome summer training and gets all of her wish skills!!

Funny! Before you know it you will be saying things that other people believe you know what you are talking about too! ;) I try my best to keep up with her, but when she starts talking the names of the jumps, turns and leaps - she pretty much lost me.

As for watching, it is such a slow progression that when she actually does the skill in competition I know she confidently has it (at least that is what I tell myself :eek:.)

I'm a little behind here from your original post, but I just wanted to say WOW, I can't believe the skills your dd is working!! I don't even know what half of that stuff is! I don't know how you high level moms watch those routines without having a nervous breakdown...what amazing talent your dd has to reach such a high level in such a tough sport! Hope she has an awesome summer training and gets all of her wish skills!!

it's true about learning the moves. iT's kind of like when you have a 5 year old you can't imagine how you'll deal with a tween or teen. Then it all comes about naturally and there you are understanding the age and the level skills.

I've heard from parents how tricky the yurchenko layout can be. One mom was telling me last year that her dd got downgraded a lot from a LO to a pike in her SV because she wasn't straight as a board flying over. Our HC has also mentioned that a lot of the girls are very flexible in the back and that makes them tend to arch a lot. Your DD must be able to do some wonderful dance and flex moves!

We have changed gyms 2 weeks ago and so far I have seen dd work on doublebacks on tumbletrack,started yurchenkos which are new for her(did some timers on real vault).
Improved her giants alot,practices handstands on bars(to perfect them.Started on blind changes on bars(very early stages).
On beam she is starting to work on bhs layout stepout and fronttucks.
They also have been doing several different leaps on floor and beam.
This is all I have seen so far.Don't know what other skills she will be upgrading or perfecting.Since going to the new gym the coaches have already seen some things she has been doing wrong or has been taught wrong.
They told her she was shifting her hands twice on her giants an showed her a diffrenet handplacement on the beam so she can get more block when she upgrades to a bhs lo.
She deffinately wants to repeat Level 9 and her coaches want her to do that also.
She said she really wants to improve her skills and score good next season.
Now this is something she came up with by herself.I think that is pretty smart for an eleven year old.

Your dd did great this yr, making it to Nationals and all. I am sure with her fine tuning she will be amazing next yr.

I don't know why I thought your dd was older. I thought she was the same age as my dd, but my dd is a yr or 2 older than her. Doesn't matter, just something that caught my eye.

She is a very wise 11 yr old! ;)

We have changed gyms 2 weeks ago and so far I have seen dd work on doublebacks on tumbletrack,started yurchenkos which are new for her(did some timers on real vault).
Improved her giants alot,practices handstands on bars(to perfect them.Started on blind changes on bars(very early stages).
On beam she is starting to work on bhs layout stepout and fronttucks.
They also have been doing several different leaps on floor and beam.
This is all I have seen so far.Don't know what other skills she will be upgrading or perfecting.Since going to the new gym the coaches have already seen some things she has been doing wrong or has been taught wrong.
They told her she was shifting her hands twice on her giants an showed her a diffrenet handplacement on the beam so she can get more block when she upgrades to a bhs lo.
She deffinately wants to repeat Level 9 and her coaches want her to do that also.
She said she really wants to improve her skills and score good next season.
Now this is something she came up with by herself.I think that is pretty smart for an eleven year old.

Granny - It is amazing, I dont log onto CB for a couple weeks and kids are doing amazing things! Your DD will be a L9 for sure. She could move her old L8 routines to L9 with the changes and do great! now she has all these great new skills she is working on.

I am going to do a seperate post with Beetles Progress or should I say lack of progress.. oh boy... it has been a rough couple of weeks...

kristilyn - I was wondering how you and beetle were doing, haven't seen you around much! I'll have to go find your update post, but post here too because I know beetle is also one of those girls going from 8 to 9.

As for dd, well all she can do is try to get the 9 skills and hope that the coaches put her to 9. I know for sure if the rules were to remain the way they were this past season that she would of definitely done 8 again (and she would have been ok with that), but with the new rule changes who knows what's going to happen. :confused:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back