WAG Level 8 tumbling requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
I was wondering if someone could explain the tumbling requirements for level 8 when only 2 tumbling passes are done. Specifically pertaining to composition deductions. I have read about composition deductions occurring if only 2 tumbling passes are done unless both passes have directly connected salto salto skills.

I was wondering if someone could explain the tumbling requirements for level 8 when only 2 tumbling passes are done. Specifically pertaining to composition deductions. I have read about composition deductions occurring if only 2 tumbling passes are done unless both passes have directly connected salto salto skills.
Yes, in a 2 pass floor routine, to have no "up to level" deduction for acro, there need to be 2 directly connected saltos in both passes. BUT at least 1 of the saltos in EACH pass has to be a B.

Yes, in a 2 pass floor routine, to have no "up to level" deduction for acro, there need to be 2 directly connected saltos in both passes. BUT at least 1 of the saltos in EACH pass has to be a B.
Thank you! Ok so to further clarify (sorry I am not great at the terminology) do the 2 directly connected saltos have to be aerials or does connecting it to round off back handspring count? For example would a round off backhandspring full and a front hand spring front lay front pike meet that requirement?
best

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! Ok so to further clarify (sorry I am not great at the terminology) do the 2 directly connected saltos have to be aerials or does connecting it to round off back handspring count? For example would a round off backhandspring full and a front hand spring front lay front pike meet that requirement?
Saltos are no handed skills.
Front Handspring - Front Layout - Front Pike would work. The layout and the pike are both B saltos.
Roundoff - Back handspring - Full would NOT work because there is only 1 salto in the pass (the full). It should be only a 0.05 UTL deduction, so if that's what she has, that's what she would be competing.

Now, if she has room for a 3rd pass, she could do a Front Tuck-Front Tuck (or Pike or Layout) and then the other 2 passes would work.

The up to level deduction for the full is .15 I believe. for a two pass routine they really want two salts in each pass, preferably directly connected and with Bs in each pass but indirect in one of the passes would be .05 or .1

the Roundoff back handspring part doesn’t count for difficulty, special requirements, or composition

Some examples of each type of pass would be...

direct connected -

front layout front pike - BB
front tuck Front pike - AB
back 1.5 front tuck - C(B)-A - 1.5 is C skill but allowed upgrade that counts as B
whip back full - the whip counts as a salto so replacing the back handspring with a whip would work.

Would this whip be an option for her? Whips lead to great bonus down the road. My dd is doing a whip double back this year and it is worth 3 tenths bonus.

indirect connected -

These are the passes where you do like a front tuck step out before the Roundoff.
ex. Front tuck step out Roundoff back handspring back full - AB

i think with the composition deductions they are trying to say if you are going to do only two passes the have to be hard. So like they are looking for the 1.5 punch front and a front front pass. some level 8s at our previous gym did the two hard pans routines, but they were tops/hopes kids.

this is true for level 9 and 10 too for two pass routines to be up to level. In level 9 both passes must contain a C and bonus connection and in level 10 you have to have an E pass.

good luck finding something that works for her!

Attachments

• 2D7A1DAA-57BB-45EE-BD74-71B48D0F26C8.jpeg
    2D7A1DAA-57BB-45EE-BD74-71B48D0F26C8.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 92
Ok so if there are 3 passes then what are examples of passes that count? Including the 2 passes she is already doing what could be added as a 3rd pass? She is working 1 1/2 punch front so that might be her second pass
The up to level deduction for the full is .15 I believe. for a two pass routine they really want two salts in each pass, preferably directly connected and with Bs in each pass but indirect in one of the passes would be .05 or .1

the Roundoff back handspring part doesn’t count for difficulty, special requirements, or composition

Some examples of each type of pass would be...

direct connected -

front layout front pike - BB
front tuck Front pike - AB
back 1.5 front tuck - C(B)-A - 1.5 is C skill but allowed upgrade that counts as B
whip back full - the whip counts as a salto so replacing the back handspring with a whip would work.

Would this whip be an option for her? Whips lead to great bonus down the road. My dd is doing a whip double back this year and it is worth 3 tenths bonus.

indirect connected -

These are the passes where you do like a front tuck step out before the Roundoff.
ex. Front tuck step out Roundoff back handspring back full - AB

i think with the composition deductions they are trying to say if you are going to do only two passes the have to be hard. So like they are looking for the 1.5 punch front and a front front pass. some level 8s at our previous gym did the two hard pans routines, but they were tops/hopes kids.

this is true for level 9 and 10 too for two pass routines to be up to level. In level 9 both passes must contain a C and bonus connection and in level 10 you have to have an E pass.

good luck finding something that works for her!

ok, so she would need either a A-A connected or a B pass.

so as @raenndrops said even just a front tuck front tuck would work. Or a front layout is a B so she could do...

1. Front tuck front pike
2. Front layout
3. Back full

or

1. Back 1.5
2. Front layout front pike or front pike front tuck or whatever.
3. Either back full or front layout.

they can do the same skill twice within a routine it just can’t be in the Exact same way.

or a back layout with a 1/2 twist would work. This is a B. Connect that to a front tuck and that is awesome progression to a 1.5 punch front for level 9.

or basically any tuck/pike/layout with a half twist either starting backward landing forward or starting forward landing backward is a B.

there are lots of possibilities. I’m sure she And her coach will figure it all out.

But remember theses are just small deductions. .1 deduction is what it is for the last pass being just a layout and .1 is the same as a bent leg or an angle deduction on a leap or something, maybe even less than that so she should do what she can execute the very best and work toward getting rid of that last tenth by adding a skill by state or regionals just like you work to eliminate the tenth for a bent leg or amplitude or whatever. A well executed routine will score better than a poorly executed difficult one (to a certain point of course).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back