Level 9 Bars Connections w/ front giant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
I'm looking for possibilities for connection bonus for a level 9 bar routine. We're looking at front giant 1/2-opvershoot handstand, and clearhip-toe shoot to high bar as her connections right now, but she's a bit inconsistent hitting the handstand on the clearhip, so we're trying to put in an additional connection just in case.

SO

If she adds another front giant in the first sequence (ie front giant-front giant 1/2-overshoot), how does that work as far as connection? Would she get connection points for the front giant-front giant 1/2?

Question 2:

Would she get a composition deduction if all of her connection bonuses are right at the start of the routine?

Last edited:
Blind change, front giant 1/2, bail would give her all the bonus she needs. (C pirouette + C pirouette + C release = .2 + .2 = .4)

Front giant, front giant 1/2, bail would also give her all of the bonus necessary. (C no turn/flight + C pirouette + C release = .1 + .2 = .3)

I would not take a composition deduction because she has pirouetting and release elements in her routine, and she has elements doing forwards and backwards.

So then the routine we're looking at would be:

Mount to high bar from between the bars, facing out
Cast handstand hop to reverse grip
Front giant
Front giant 1/2
Overshoot (hopefully eventually to handstand, though it's not consistently there yet)
Kip
Toe shoot to high bar
Kip
Giant
Giant
Double back

Any issues with this routine as far as composition goes?

Cast hop is also a C if she hops both hands at the same time, and it's considered flight. She could do hop to reverse grip, front giant 1/2, bail; in L9, it's worth the same as hop to reverse grip, front giant, front giant 1/2, bail.

But, no, I don't see composition issues.

Cast hop is also a C if she hops both hands at the same time, and it's considered flight. She could do hop to reverse grip, front giant 1/2, bail; in L9, it's worth the same as hop to reverse grip, front giant, front giant 1/2, bail.

But, no, I don't see composition issues.

Wouldn't that only give her a 9.9 start if she doesn't have that other C-C connection? (unless, of course, the overshoot catchis in handstand -- it sometimes does, but I wouldn't yet bet the routine on her hitting that consistently)

Cast hop to reverse is C flight; front giant 1/2 is a C pirouette; bail from a handstand is a C or D, depending on her angle when she catches the bar. That's C flight + C turn + C flight = .2 + .2 = .4 (for L9 only!).

Also, it doesn't matter if she catches the bail in HS (theoretically, for bonus purposes in L9).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back