WAG Level 9 Beam deduction/start value question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

esor

Proud Parent
Gymnast
Quick back story - my DD had elbow surgery in the fall and we thought her season was shot. But, ends up, she is going to compete this coming weekend on beam and floor at her first level 9 meet. She is so excited even though she knows she will not be super competitive because she has not been able to use her one arm, but is happy to be back out there! Floor is pretty solid and has been able to compensate for the one arm. My question is on beam. She has had to modify her series from what she was working on pre surgery (was working flip lay), so she does not have 2 flight elements in her series - she is doing a side aerial into a front walkover (ultimately was trying for side aerial/front handspring but not quite there since she has not had much time to work on it). She has her leaps/jumps, a front full dismount, and other required elements. I know she will not have a 10.0 start value but do you know what the start value would be at L9 without 2 flight elements?
Also does she get deducted for not having a backwards element?
Thank you!

A series with two flight elements is required for level nine. So, that would be .5 off the start value for it not meeting that special requirement.

It is .1 compositional deduction for not going backwards.

Level 9 routines start from 9.7. The last three must come from bonus. Not exactly sure what her other skills are so not sure about her bonus potential. Does she do a switch leap back tuck or her leap/jump series could contain a tenth or even two if it is really difficult.

Assuming no bonus then her routine would start from a 9.2 and then there would be .1 for not going backwards. Then all the other possible deductions including possible other compositional deductions that may come into play given the creativity needed to create her routine.

Again, not knowing every piece it is hard to know, but I hope this was helpful info. Good luck to her getting back into it!

That is hugely helpful thefellowsmom! She will get bonus for her leap/jump series if she hits, not sure if its .1 or .2 back - I am probably not saying this right but its a switch leap, split jump, full turn jump? (yeah, I am not good with the names of these). So if she hits what she has she is probably starting around a 9.2 or so I believe based on the above.

She really wants to qualify to state on at least one event, which is a great goal, but I told her I think floor is her best bet, as she actually has a 10.0 start value there if she hits her leap/jump combo. She would have to be near perfect on beam to have a chance at qualifying with her start value! But always good to have goals and work towards something :)

she is going to compete this coming weekend
I can't help with your question but I just wanted to say that I'm very happy for you and your DD :):):).

I know how hard it is to watch your dd on the sideline (not literally) when you know how much she wants to be out there with her team. Congrats on being able to compete!

she is doing a side aerial into a front walkover (ultimately was trying for side aerial/front handspring but not quite there since she has not had much time to work on it).
Thank you!

Can she do aerial aerial? Back tuck, back tuck? Ariel Korbut?
I don't know how much more time, but because she is level 9, I'm assuming she has a good BHS? Maybe one hand BHS?

This girl had a broken hand and competed beam (probably not the best idea....) but anyway:

Your DD could do this routine

She could also take inspiration from this for connection bonuses:

Can she do aerial aerial? Back tuck, back tuck? Ariel Korbut?
I don't know how much more time, but because she is level 9, I'm assuming she has a good BHS? Maybe one hand BHS?

This girl had a broken hand and competed beam (probably not the best idea....) but anyway:

Your DD could do this routine

She could also take inspiration from this for connection bonuses:

Yes! Can she do layout-layout? Ft-FT? A one-handed BHS is a higher value than a regular BHS, so is a 2-foot layout. If she connected a 2-foot layout to another element of high value, she can get the bonus or more bonus depending on the connection. There are lots of no-handed elements to try--get out that skills chart and find them! I begged my dd to do this when her elbow was injured, but she refused. GO esor's gymkid!

Sooo, just a follow up. DD did beautiful at her first meet back, despite the low start values. She got an 8.325 on beam with a 9.3 start value, and a 8.55 on floor with a 9.4 start value. Despite the fact her start values were low, she looked beautiful and was beaming, so happy to be back! Her teammates were wonderful as well and cheering so loud - it brought tears to my eyes! The good news is her coaches got her into another meet this coming weekend. Apparently my DD did not tell her coaches she wanted to try to qualify for state so they thought it was more of a just get back in it situation, lol. Now that they know she wants to try to qualify for state they made a few changes to her routines to get them to a 10.0 start value. We are just praying for an 8.75 on one or both events this weekend!

Sooo, just a follow up. DD did beautiful at her first meet back, despite the low start values. She got an 8.325 on beam with a 9.3 start value, and a 8.55 on floor with a 9.4 start value. Despite the fact her start values were low, she looked beautiful and was beaming, so happy to be back! Her teammates were wonderful as well and cheering so loud - it brought tears to my eyes! The good news is her coaches got her into another meet this coming weekend. Apparently my DD did not tell her coaches she wanted to try to qualify for state so they thought it was more of a just get back in it situation, lol. Now that they know she wants to try to qualify for state they made a few changes to her routines to get them to a 10.0 start value. We are just praying for an 8.75 on one or both events this weekend!

Good for her! Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back