Parents Level 9 routines bars and beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Momma Bear

Proud Parent
My dd is training level 9. Wondering if what’s she’s working towards will give her high enough starting values. She’s not 100 percent certain what her routines will be but this is what she’s working on.

Bars- kip on low bar, squat on jump to high bar, Kip cast handstand, pirouette, overshoot (hopefully to handstand), Kip, squat on, jump to high, clear hip or toe on to handstand, giant, giant, double back tuck dismount

Beam- switch leap connected to tuck 3/4, split jump tuck jump, full turn, back handspring back handspring, back tuck hopefully connected to some jump (I think), possibly a side aerial (if she gets it consistently) and either round off full or front full dismount.

I think these are what she has told me! Thanks for any advice!

My dd is training level 9. Wondering if what’s she’s working towards will give her high enough starting values. She’s not 100 percent certain what her routines will be but this is what she’s working on.

Bars- kip on low bar, squat on jump to high bar, Kip cast handstand, pirouette, overshoot (hopefully to handstand), Kip, squat on, jump to high, clear hip or toe on to handstand, giant, giant, double back tuck dismount

Beam- switch leap connected to tuck 3/4, split jump tuck jump, full turn, back handspring back handspring, back tuck hopefully connected to some jump (I think), possibly a side aerial (if she gets it consistently) and either round off full or front full dismount.

Bars should be just fine. The beam and floor is where I get lost. My daughter is also working on a front full dismount for beam. I never hear of anyone doing that one. She has just never had a great round off.

Bar routine is classic level 9. All good

Beam routine. Sounds like your coaches are being creative to get around the fact that she only has the BHS BHS. That’s great news!

Switch to tuck 3/4 is a CC connection .2 bonus
She would need to connect a B jump/leap to her back tuck for .1 bonus to get all her bonus and a 10.0 start value. A split jump would work just fine.

I did question the split jump tuck jump in addition as it isn’t really necessary. I would think that they either are building in back up for her big dance series in case she misses the connection or they are using it to work toward a split jump back tuck which would sure up the routine.

The side aerial is necessary to be up to level to make up for the easy series. If she doesn’t get it it is just a .15 deduction. Not ideal but not the end of the world.

Either dismount works just fine.

Sounds like she is doing great and heading in the right direction. And awesome that her coaches are working it out for her and giving her time to upgrade her series in her own time.

The one big shocker for us when arriving at level 9/10 was that losing connection bonus and getting up to level deductions are pretty normal. It is also pretty shocking when the miss one skill and it blows up the whole routine. I remember my dd fell on her pak in level 9 and the rest of the routine was clean and well executed and she score in the 7s. I was totally freaked out but you lose the skill and connection and the start value and and and. Try not to worry too much

Good luck!

Bar routine is classic level 9. All good

Beam routine. Sounds like your coaches are being creative to get around the fact that she only has the BHS BHS. That’s great news!

Switch to tuck 3/4 is a CC connection .2 bonus
She would need to connect a B jump/leap to her back tuck for .1 bonus to get all her bonus and a 10.0 start value. A split jump would work just fine.

I did question the split jump tuck jump in addition as it isn’t really necessary. I would think that they either are building in back up for her big dance series in case she misses the connection or they are using it to work toward a split jump back tuck which would sure up the routine.

The side aerial is necessary to be up to level to make up for the easy series. If she doesn’t get it it is just a .15 deduction. Not ideal but not the end of the world.

Either dismount works just fine.

Sounds like she is doing great and heading in the right direction. And awesome that her coaches are working it out for her and giving her time to upgrade her series in her own time.

The one big shocker for us when arriving at level 9/10 was that losing connection bonus and getting up to level deductions are pretty normal. It is also pretty shocking when the miss one skill and it blows up the whole routine. I remember my dd fell on her pak in level 9 and the rest of the routine was clean and well executed and she score in the 7s. I was totally freaked out but you lose the skill and connection and the start value and and and. Try not to worry too much

Good luck!
She meets the special requirements with the series, but she will lose .15 in composition for not having a C flight in her acro series. The back tuck fulfills the C salto requirements, I don’t think an aerial is necessary after that.

She meets the special requirements with the series, but she will lose .15 in composition for not having a C flight in her acro series. The back tuck fulfills the C salto requirements, I don’t think an aerial is necessary after that.

Level 9 acro up to level is...

1. Acro series with 2 flight, one a C
2. One Salto/aerial
Or
1. one D/E acro flight

So wouldn’t the side aerial meet that requirement? Then without the aerial she has the .15 up to level deduction?

Level 9 acro up to level is...

1. Acro series with 2 flight, one a C
2. One Salto/aerial
Or
1. one D/E acro flight

So wouldn’t the side aerial meet that requirement? Then without the aerial she has the .15 up to level deduction?
You copied it wrong.
1. Acro series with 2 flight, 1 a C....AND...
2. One salto/aerial
OR
2. One D/E acro/flight
(if acro series contains a salto or aerial, additional salto can be a C)
There MUST be an acro series with a minimum C flight AND an additional salto/aerial.

That “or” and the #2 clarify it. Look at the numbers and the conjunctions between them.

Here’s the chart

Attachments

• 5C85B4CF-13EF-42B4-861B-A3F45147BBFB.jpeg
    5C85B4CF-13EF-42B4-861B-A3F45147BBFB.jpeg
    194.8 KB · Views: 69
Can I also ask hijack a second to ask if they need a sideways or forwards skill too? This confused me last year on 8. I know a round off dismount fulfilled that, but my daughter won’t do the round off. Would a front full dismount meet the requirement?

Thanks for the info! I’m really not sure why her coaches aren’t having them practice the layout because she did the double back handspring last year. I guess they are willing to take the deductions this year. In my mind, knowing this now, it would make more sense to work on the layout series and save the aerial for level 10. Who knows!

Can I also ask hijack a second to ask if they need a sideways or forwards skill too? This confused me last year on 8. I know a round off dismount fulfilled that, but my daughter won’t do the round off. Would a front full dismount meet the requirement?

I was wondering this also!

Thanks for the info! I’m really not sure why her coaches aren’t having them practice the layout because she did the double back handspring last year. I guess they are willing to take the deductions this year. In my mind, knowing this now, it would make more sense to work on the layout series and save the aerial for level 10. Who knows!
I don’t know if this is at all helpful, but my daughter on 8 started the season with walkover bhs (recovering from injury) and by the end did the bhs bhs. The deduction was really small for the walkover bhs series at the early meets. Could they be planning to work your daughter up to the layout series by the end of the season?
Yep, I’m super confused about the forwards sideways thing. My daughter is doing a back tuck like yours, but I wonder if they have your daughter doing the aerial to fulfill the sideways requirement.

I don’t know if this is at all helpful, but my daughter on 8 started the season with walkover bhs (recovering from injury) and by the end did the bhs bhs. The deduction was really small for the walkover bhs series at the early meets. Could they be planning to work your daughter up to the layout series by the end of the season?
Yep, I’m super confused about the forwards sideways thing. My daughter is doing a back tuck like yours, but I wonder if they have your daughter doing the aerial to fulfill the sideways requirement.

I really have no idea. My daughter says they really don’t practice the layout that much at all. I do know 2 of the older girls do aerial roundoff as their series. Maybe that’s what they are thinking they’d rather our girls eventually do instead of the layout?

These higher levels get so confusing! I used to be decent at knowing what was going on, lol. Now, I feel like I’m pretty clueless!

Level 8s do not need C’s at all. If you look at the chart, for no composition deduction, they need a series with 2 B flight skills (BHS-BHS, or any combo of 2 Bs with flight.) And 2 other acros, 1 of which is a B. Layouts and tucks are C skills. Acro skills can be a 2-second held handstand, round offs, walkovers, front and back handsprings, cartwheels.
As for the direction, they need a backwards skill and a forwards or sideways skill. Again, there are several to choose from to meet this requirement.

Level 8s do not need C’s at all. If you look at the chart, for no composition deduction, they need a series with 2 B flight skills (BHS-BHS, or any combo of 2 Bs with flight.) And 2 other acros, 1 of which is a B. Layouts and tucks are C skills. Acro skills can be a 2-second held handstand, round offs, walkovers, front and back handsprings, cartwheels.
As for the direction, they need a backwards skill and a forwards or sideways skill. Again, there are several to choose from to meet this requirement.
Thanks, this is really helpful! I think at the very beginning of level 8 season my daughter got a small deduction because she did back walkover handspring before switching to the bhs bhs. The walkover might be an A skill rather than B skill? Is that wrong? Do you know if doing a front full dismount fulfills the forwards/sideways skill, or does the forwards/sideways skill have to actually be on the beam? On level 8, she did a front walkover, and that fulfilled the sideways/forwards skill. She just added a bunch of things to her beam routine to fulfill all of the requirements, and it seems like the more things in the routine, the more there is to get deductions on. So hoping to have a more simplified routine this year.

Just an FYI since no one mentioned, but that bar routine has a 9.9SV for level 9. It's meets all the special requirements and has no composition deductions but has only 2 tenths of bonus (connecting the pirouette to the bail). Connecting a toe hand AND a clear hand would add a tenth, so would connecting one of those circles to the double back dismount. A 9.9 start value at level 9 is very common, though. Bonus at level 9 can only come through connection and it's sometimes not worth adding more to get that tenth, or the coach might make the choice of adding a D instead of going for that extra tenth, which can be more progressive.

Thanks, this is really helpful! I think at the very beginning of level 8 season my daughter got a small deduction because she did back walkover handspring before switching to the bhs bhs. The walkover might be an A skill rather than B skill? Is that wrong? Do you know if doing a front full dismount fulfills the forwards/sideways skill, or does the forwards/sideways skill have to actually be on the beam? On level 8, she did a front walkover, and that fulfilled the sideways/forwards skill. She just added a bunch of things to her beam routine to fulfill all of the requirements, and it seems like the more things in the routine, the more there is to get deductions on. So hoping to have a more simplified routine this year.
Doing a front full dismount knocks the lack of fwd/swd skill deduction down from 0.1 to 0.05. Skill has to be on the beam to fully fulfill the requirement.

Just an FYI since no one mentioned, but that bar routine has a 9.9SV for level 9. It's meets all the special requirements and has no composition deductions but has only 2 tenths of bonus (connecting the pirouette to the bail). Connecting a toe hand AND a clear hand would add a tenth, so would connecting one of those circles to the double back dismount. A 9.9 start value at level 9 is very common, though. Bonus at level 9 can only come through connection and it's sometimes not worth adding more to get that tenth, or the coach might make the choice of adding a D instead of going for that extra tenth, which can be more progressive.
Don't know if this makes a difference but my dd's back half is giant, giant, toe to hand, double back tuck dismount so a little bit of a different order which might be giving her another connection bonus??

Don't know if this makes a difference but my dd's back half is giant, giant, toe to hand, double back tuck dismount so a little bit of a different order which might be giving her another connection bonus??
Yep! She gets the 3rd tenth of bonus from connecting the toe hand to the dismount.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back