WAG Level 9 Skills - beam and floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flippingtogether

Proud Parent
I am trying to figure out for floor and beam - what would be typical for a first year L9 to compete at a minimum? (ie a competent but not a strong L9 on the spectrum of skill difficulty.)
And what would be expected skills for a L9 who has been at the level for two or three years, getting ready to move to level 10?

Level 9 is where you can really see how optionals work, in that routines can be very different from one another. You have a lot more options for variety in L9 than previous levels, so there's not really such a thing as a standard routine...you can essentially do any skill as long as it isn't a disallowed D value. I've tried to show relatively standard options but there are many more skills that you can also do (for example, on beam, a Valdez, a one-arm front handspring, a front tuck to sit). Also what is harder or easier for a given gymnast varies so one gymnast might find it relatively easy to compete, say, a side aerial on beam in her first year of L9, while another gymnast might need to work on the same skill for two years before being able to put it in her routine.

minimum VT: Tsuk or Yurchenko in tuck or pike (9.6 SV for a tuck, 9.7 for a pike)
outstanding VT: Tsuk or Yurchenko layout with great height/technique (10.0)

minimum UB:
Releases: bail or straddle back
Turning elements: HS 1/2 pirouette
Circling elements: clear hip HS, giants
Dismount:layout 1/2 flyaway, layout 1/1 flyaway, or toe on front tuck
outstanding UB:
Releases: bail to and from HS, straddle back to and from HS, Pak salto, hecht from LB to HB
Turning elements: HS 1/2 pirouette, clear hip 1/2, clear hip blind, giant blind
Circling elements: clear hip 1/2, clear hip blind, giant blind, front giant
Dismount: layout flyaway 3/2, layout flyaway 2/1, double back flyaway

minimum BB:
Acro series: BHS-BHS, FHS-BHS
Other acro skills: standing back tuck
Turns: full turn
Leaps/jumps: switch leap + split or straddle jump
Dismount: back tuck 1/2, back layout 1/2, front layout from punch, gainer layout off the side
outstanding BB:
Acro series: BHS-back tuck, BHS-layout
Other acro skills: standing back pike, front aerial, side aerial
Turns: full turn or leg up full turn
Leaps/jumps: switch leap + turning split, straddle, or tuck jump; ring jump
Dismount: back layout 3/2, front layout 1/1 from punch, gainer layout 1/1 off the side

minimum FX:
Two salto pass: front layout or pike+front pike or tuck; front tuck through to back tuck or back layout
Final pass: back 1/1; front salto 1/2 (any shape)
Jumps: switch leap+switch side; switch leap+tour jete 1/2; switch leap or switch side+turning tuck jump
Turns: 3/2 turn
outstanding FX:
Two salto pass: front lay+front lay; front lay+front 1/2 (any shape); front tuck through to back layout 1/1; back whip to back salto; back whip 1/2 to front salto
Final pass: any of the above, or back 1/1
Jumps: switch leap+switch side 1/2; switch leap+tour jete 1/1 or tour jete ring; switch leap or switch side+turning split, pike, or straddle jump
Turns: 2/1 turn; full turn with leg at horizontal

(today was a slow day for me at work...)

This is awesome, can you make 1 for level 10 with video examples??

Level 9 is where you can really see how optionals work, in that routines can be very different from one another. You have a lot more options for variety in L9 than previous levels, so there's not really such a thing as a standard routine...you can essentially do any skill as long as it isn't a disallowed D value. I've tried to show relatively standard options but there are many more skills that you can also do (for example, on beam, a Valdez, a one-arm front handspring, a front tuck to sit). Also what is harder or easier for a given gymnast varies so one gymnast might find it relatively easy to compete, say, a side aerial on beam in her first year of L9, while another gymnast might need to work on the same skill for two years before being able to put it in her routine.

minimum VT: Tsuk or Yurchenko in tuck or pike (9.6 SV for a tuck, 9.7 for a pike)
outstanding VT: Tsuk or Yurchenko layout with great height/technique (10.0)

minimum UB:
Releases: bail or straddle back
Turning elements: HS 1/2 pirouette
Circling elements: clear hip HS, giants
Dismount:layout 1/2 flyaway, layout 1/1 flyaway, or toe on front tuck
outstanding UB:
Releases: bail to and from HS, straddle back to and from HS, Pak salto, hecht from LB to HB
Turning elements: HS 1/2 pirouette, clear hip 1/2, clear hip blind, giant blind
Circling elements: clear hip 1/2, clear hip blind, giant blind, front giant
Dismount: layout flyaway 3/2, layout flyaway 2/1, double back flyaway

minimum BB:
Acro series: BHS-BHS, FHS-BHS
Other acro skills: standing back tuck
Turns: full turn
Leaps/jumps: switch leap + split or straddle jump
Dismount: back tuck 1/2, back layout 1/2, front layout from punch, gainer layout off the side
outstanding BB:
Acro series: BHS-back tuck, BHS-layout
Other acro skills: standing back pike, front aerial, side aerial
Turns: full turn or leg up full turn
Leaps/jumps: switch leap + turning split, straddle, or tuck jump; ring jump
Dismount: back layout 3/2, front layout 1/1 from punch, gainer layout 1/1 off the side

minimum FX:
Two salto pass: front layout or pike+front pike or tuck; front tuck through to back tuck or back layout
Final pass: back 1/1; front salto 1/2 (any shape)
Jumps: switch leap+switch side; switch leap+tour jete 1/2; switch leap or switch side+turning tuck jump
Turns: 3/2 turn
outstanding FX:
Two salto pass: front lay+front lay; front lay+front 1/2 (any shape); front tuck through to back layout 1/1; back whip to back salto; back whip 1/2 to front salto
Final pass: any of the above, or back 1/1
Jumps: switch leap+switch side 1/2; switch leap+tour jete 1/1 or tour jete ring; switch leap or switch side+turning split, pike, or straddle jump
Turns: 2/1 turn; full turn with leg at horizontal

(today was a slow day for me at work...)

Couple things just to add to above post.

Beam - some sort of jump or leap connected to back tuck is pretty standard and best routines will have an additional single acro such as a side aerial or front step out.

Floor - top top routines will have a big pass double twist double back or front full or front 1.5. A back to 1 1/2 twist connected to punch tuck or pike is in the vast majority of routines and almost every routine I have seen has three passes, the 1 1/2 punch front a front front pass, usually front layout front pike or front layout front layout and a third pass of full twist with the highest difficulty routines not doing the full twist but the harder pass.

I would consider my dd as sort of middle of the road as far as difficulty goes for level nine. She has many other skills at different stages of completion but Her routines are...

Yurchenko pike

Bars - giant blind half connected to pak salto then pirouette on low bar jump to high bar then clear hip connected to double back dismount.

Beam - back handspring back layout step out, switch leap back tuck, split jump sissone and a roundoff full twisting layout dismount.

Floor - roundoff BHS 1 1/2 twist punch pike, front layout front layout, and roundoff BHS full twist. One and a half or double turn depending on the day and a leap pass with stag ring jump to to switch ring to straddle jump.

Just for perspective She has more difficult skills in the gym and barring all the obstacles that could possibly come up she is expected to move up to 10 next year.

These are not the hardest routines but all start from a 10.0 when executed properly. Start value comes into play way more in level 9 than before and deductions balloon when you miss a skill or connection. It's not simply a case of base skills vs advanced skills. There is composition and bonus and connections and skill requirements. It's bonkers!

If I have time I will come back and give an example of some easier routines by girls that expect to repeat next year. Gotta go for now :)

Couple things just to add to above post.

Beam - some sort of jump or leap connected to back tuck is pretty standard and best routines will have an additional single acro such as a side aerial or front step out.

Floor - top top routines will have a big pass double twist double back or front full or front 1.5. A back to 1 1/2 twist connected to punch tuck or pike is in the vast majority of routines and almost every routine I have seen has three passes, the 1 1/2 punch front a front front pass, usually front layout front pike or front layout front layout and a third pass of full twist with the highest difficulty routines not doing the full twist but the harder pass.

I would consider my dd as sort of middle of the road as far as difficulty goes for level nine. She has many other skills at different stages of completion but Her routines are...

Yurchenko pike

Bars - giant blind half connected to pak salto then pirouette on low bar jump to high bar then clear hip connected to double back dismount.

Beam - back handspring back layout step out, switch leap back tuck, split jump sissone and a roundoff full twisting layout dismount.

Floor - roundoff BHS 1 1/2 twist punch pike, front layout front layout, and roundoff BHS full twist. One and a half or double turn depending on the day and a leap pass with stag ring jump to to switch ring to straddle jump.

Just for perspective She has more difficult skills in the gym and barring all the obstacles that could possibly come up she is expected to move up to 10 next year.

These are not the hardest routines but all start from a 10.0 when executed properly. Start value comes into play way more in level 9 than before and deductions balloon when you miss a skill or connection. It's not simply a case of base skills vs advanced skills. There is composition and bonus and connections and skill requirements. It's bonkers!

If I have time I will come back and give an example of some easier routines by girls that expect to repeat next year. Gotta go for now :)

Thank you.
If you do have time to shed light on some of the easier entry-level routines that you've seen at level nine, that would be incredibly helpful as well. Level eight I thought was crazy, but I can see level 8 pales in comparison to level 9!!

Ok, so I know a couple of girls that have more basic routines without all the bonus and just meeting the basic requirements. Their routines are not starting from a 10. It has been a rough season for these girls. They both had great level 8 seasons (37+) and made the decision to struggle through this season rather than repeat, feeling that given the way their gym trains they would be better set up for a successful level 9 second year next season. Both of these kids are talented gymnasts and should be killing it next year!

Sample routines -

Bars 1 - mount to high bar, cast not to handstand to pak salto Kip cast pirouette Kip jump to high bar giant giant double back dismount. I believe this routine meets the basic requirements but has no bonus so starts from a 9.7. It also takes a big hit for the low cast.

Bars 2 - Kip jump to high bar cast handstand pirouette to bail, Kip cast jump to high bar giant giant double back. This is a pretty standard low level 9 routine. Bonus in the pirouette to bail and starts from a 9.9.

Vault - one does a yurchenko tuck and one does a tsuk pike.

Beam - both do a back handspring back handspring and they both do an isolated additional acro without connection bonus. One does a back tuck, one does a side aerial. They both do a switch leap connected to a turning jump and a front layout dismount. I believe both routines start from a 9.8 with the bonus in the leap/jump combo.

Floor 1 - roundoff to 1.5 twist, front layout front layout and a full twist are three tumbling passes. Standard turn and leap pass. Starts from a 9.8 with bonus from the front pass.

Floor 2 - front full, front layout front pike and a roundoff full are her passes. Standard turns and leaps. Think this starts from a 9.8 as well. She had an arm thing and has been hands free. At state she attempted a whip 1.5 that brought her to a 10 start value but she fell :(

Hope this helps. Good luck!

For level 9, here are routines most gymnasts compete:

Bars- cast to handstand, 1/2 pirouette, connected to an overshoot, or pak salto. You can also compete a straddle back. Giants, clear hip to handstand connected to a double back dismount.

Beam- full turn, back handspring back layout, you can compete, any two jumps connected- split jumps and sissones have to reach 180. switch leap to back tuck, round off back layout full dismount

Floor- roundoff back 1 1/2 layout front pike, front handspring front layout front pike, round off back handspring back full layout, switch leap, switch leap 1/1, 2/1 turn.

Vault- yurchenko or tsuk layout, but a lot of people compete yurchenko 0r tsuk pike for 9.7 sv

This is all so helpful. My DD is solidly ending her 1st year at L8, but her difficulty isn't on the high end of the spectrum.
(note: her execution is textbook so she scores very well at this level - she actually was a L8 AA state champ - her vault was 10.0 start value, bars 9.7 and floor and beam were both 10.0 start but the latter two were not on the more difficult end of the spectrum. At State I saw higher difficulty from others, but lots of deductions for form breaks.)

It seems like she should repeat and ramp things up as much as she can with difficulty (which will be hard - she is a fearful gymnast). I can already see if she were to move to 9 next year, she'd really really struggle next year. That would be a blow to her confidence she's worked so hard to build.

The whole thing that makes repeating a bit weird is she won AA at State - but she really should repeat. I guess at this level this might not be uncommon? I know in compulsories it would be considered sandbagging.... but this seems so different.

(What a crazy sport!)

This is all so helpful. My DD is solidly ending her 1st year at L8, but her difficulty isn't on the high end of the spectrum.
(note: her execution is textbook so she scores very well at this level - she actually was a L8 AA state champ - her vault was 10.0 start value, bars 9.7 and floor and beam were both 10.0 start but the latter two were not on the more difficult end of the spectrum. At State I saw higher difficulty from others, but lots of deductions for form breaks.)

It seems like she should repeat and ramp things up as much as she can with difficulty (which will be hard - she is a fearful gymnast). I can already see if she were to move to 9 next year, she'd really really struggle next year. That would be a blow to her confidence she's worked so hard to build.

The whole thing that makes repeating a bit weird is she won AA at State - but she really should repeat. I guess at this level this might not be uncommon? I know in compulsories it would be considered sandbagging.... but this seems so different.

(What a crazy sport!)
Once you get to level 8 and beyond it should no longer be called or considered repeating. I would call it"second year" or "third year" at a level. Skills can be varied, many upgrades possible so not repeating. Injuries, growth or fear issues can set in making things more complicated.

@thefellowsmom dpes the roundoff 1.5 twist gets a connection bonus in L9 ? for some reason I thought my daughter had told me so. :)

Ok, so I know a couple of girls that have more basic routines without all the bonus and just meeting the basic requirements. Their routines are not starting from a 10. It has been a rough season for these girls. They both had great level 8 seasons (37+) and made the decision to struggle through this season rather than repeat, feeling that given the way their gym trains they would be better set up for a successful level 9 second year next season. Both of these kids are talented gymnasts and should be killing it next year!

Sample routines -

Bars 1 - mount to high bar, cast not to handstand to pak salto Kip cast pirouette Kip jump to high bar giant giant double back dismount. I believe this routine meets the basic requirements but has no bonus so starts from a 9.7. It also takes a big hit for the low cast.

Bars 2 - Kip jump to high bar cast handstand pirouette to bail, Kip cast jump to high bar giant giant double back. This is a pretty standard low level 9 routine. Bonus in the pirouette to bail and starts from a 9.9.

Vault - one does a yurchenko tuck and one does a tsuk pike.

Beam - both do a back handspring back handspring and they both do an isolated additional acro without connection bonus. One does a back tuck, one does a side aerial. They both do a switch leap connected to a turning jump and a front layout dismount. I believe both routines start from a 9.8 with the bonus in the leap/jump combo.

Floor 1 - roundoff to 1.5 twist, front layout front layout and a full twist are three tumbling passes. Standard turn and leap pass. Starts from a 9.8 with bonus from the front pass.

Floor 2 - front full, front layout front pike and a roundoff full are her passes. Standard turns and leaps. Think this starts from a 9.8 as well. She had an arm thing and has been hands free. At state she attempted a whip 1.5 that brought her to a 10 start value but she fell :(

Hope this helps. Good luck!

@thefellowsmom dpes the roundoff 1.5 twist gets a connection bonus in L9 ? for some reason I thought my daughter had told me so. :)

No, the roundoff 1.5 dismount does not receive bonus. Yes, it is a B+C but dismounts are excluded in two skill connections. In order for the dismount to be included for bonus it must be in a three skill connection such as a BHS BHS double down 1.5

The roundoff 1.5 is a nice level 9 dismount though with good difficulty.

@thefellowsmom and @Jard.the.gymnast thank you. How about on floor? does the roundoff 1.5 on floor get a bonus?

No, the roundoff 1.5 dismount does not receive bonus. Yes, it is a B+C but dismounts are excluded in two skill connections. In order for the dismount to be included for bonus it must be in a three skill connection such as a BHS BHS double down 1.5

The roundoff 1.5 is a nice level 9 dismount though with good difficulty.

(What a crazy sport!)
At L7+ JUST winning state does not equate to sandbagging, ESPECIALLY if they did not have a 10.0 SV on every event.
To be considered sandbagging at these levels, you would have to be maxing out the difficulty on all events at the current level and scoring 9.3+ AND have the ability to max out the difficulty level at the next level with scores in the 9.3+ range on ALL events and still repeat.
Because you can meet the minimum requirements and still be considered "not up to level" in Level 8+, it makes these levels a totally different beast than compulsories (and even Level 6 and Xcel Bronze-Gold).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back