Parents Level 9

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Manuel

Proud Parent
My dd is in elite/HOPES but she is doing level 9 as per coach for the meantime. Problem is her starting values are low in every events and she is doing elite elements. My question is why her scores are so low? And why her starting values are low? Is it because she is doing elite/HOPEs elements but competing for level 9. Just want to clarify. Thank you.

I don't know enough about the COP to help, but if you list her routines in terms of skills, I am sure others will be able to help. They can't really answer without knowing what skills she is doing.

Reactions: sce
My dd is in elite/HOPES but she is doing level 9 as per coach for the meantime. Problem is her starting values are low in every events and she is doing elite elements. My question is why her scores are so low? And why her starting values are low? Is it because she is doing elite/HOPEs elements but competing for level 9. Just want to clarify. Thank you.
Has she qualified for Hopes?/Elites It sounds like she is not doing skills to the hopes level as all our hopes are getting 10 start value for L 10

Yes, we would have to know the skills she is performing. In theory, if she is performing unallowable elements for level 9(more than one D per event) that could be lowering her start value while also preparing her for hopes.

If she is doing some of her higher level/elite skills she may be getting a lower start value for throwing too many high level skills. My DD was going to compete level 9 this year as well but they decided to bump her up to level 10 so that she could compete more of her higher level/elite skills without getting penalized.

Yes, we would have to know the skills she is performing. In theory, if she is performing unallowable elements for level 9(more than one D per event) that could be lowering her start value while also preparing her for hopes.
I guess you are right because all her starting values are low because of the elements that not allowed for level 9. I guess as what her coach said just for exposure. I just want to be sure and re assure my daughter that don’t get frustrated if you will have no awards. Thank you for the enlightenment.
All other advises or suggestions are open. Thanks.

If she is doing some of her higher level/elite skills she may be getting a lower start value for throwing too many high level skills. My DD was going to compete level 9 this year as well but they decided to bump her up to level 10 so that she could compete more of her higher level/elite skills without getting penalized.
I agree with you. This is what her coach trying to tell us. But can they skip Levels? From level 9 to level 10 without the required score?

This doesn't make sense to me. Why can't she compete modified routines? Are there any restrictions on L9 vault? On bars, if she has two Ds, just take one out. Beam, should be a simple matter to water down her acro if that's the problem. Floor is probably just a matter of dialing back a twist or taking out a D flipping skill. If she is competing routines that include unallowable Ds on bars, beam, and floor, why isn't the strategy to compete one meet at L9 solely for move-up purposes?

Also, even if the routines are done unmodified, is the concern that an elite/HOPES athlete couldn't make a 34 AA even with the dings for extra unallowable skills? I would think that execution could get her to that point with a hit meet even if SVs are lower. If that's the issue, there may be other things going on.

Seconded what was said above -- to get an answer to your question, you need to let us know more about what she's competing.

This doesn't make sense to me. Why can't she compete modified routines? Are there any restrictions on L9 vault? On bars, if she has two Ds, just take one out. Beam, should be a simple matter to water down her acro if that's the problem. Floor is probably just a matter of dialing back a twist or taking out a D flipping skill. If she is competing routines that include unallowable Ds on bars, beam, and floor, why isn't the strategy to compete one meet at L9 solely for move-up purposes?

Also, even if the routines are done unmodified, is the concern that an elite/HOPES athlete couldn't make a 34 AA even with the dings for extra unallowable skills? I would think that execution could get her to that point with a hit meet even if SVs are lower. If that's the issue, there may be other things going on.

Seconded what was said above -- to get an answer to your question, you need to let us know more about what she's competing.
You can compete modified routines in level 9 but maybe her coaches want her to compete her higher level elite skills. My daughter had all of her level 10 skills except for bars so they were going to have her compete level 9 with "watered down" routines but then she got her bars skills so they moved her up to 10 so now she can compete all of her higher level skills without getting any deductions.

OP says it's a problem on every event. That is why I am confused. If the problem is having too many Ds for L9 but the coaches want her to have experience competing those skills, why not score her out of 9 and have her compete 10? There may be something else going on here, but without knowing more about the routines, I don't think we can help.

OP says it's a problem on every event. That is why I am confused. If the problem is having too many Ds for L9 but the coaches want her to have experience competing those skills, why not score her out of 9 and have her compete 10? There may be something else going on here, but without knowing more about the routines, I don't think we can help.
I agree. If she has enough high level skills she should be moved up to 10.

She will be going for elite qualifying. So her elements are totally elite without any modifications. She is not expecting her to be really have a high score in level 9 competition. She just want her to feel how it is. She was off season for almost a year. Now, my other question is if my dd is doing elite can she skip the level 9 and jump to level 10? There must be some requirements for this but my knowledge is limited.
Note: She will be doing HOPES compulsory and optional for ages 10-11.

She will be going for elite qualifying. So her elements are totally elite without any modifications. She is not expecting her to be really have a high score in level 9 competition. She just want her to feel how it is. She was off season for almost a year. Now, my other question is if my dd is doing elite can she skip the level 9 and jump to level 10? There must be some requirements for this but my knowledge is limited.
She can score out of level 9, I think she needs a 34 AA to score out of 9.

I'm not exactly sure what @Manuel is asking exactly, but if you are asking if your daughter needs to compete Level 9 or Level 10 to go to Elite, she doesn't. She could test junior elite whenever she is ready (she doesn't need to do Hopes unless her coaches want her to) and just move to Elite (if she has the skills and the execution). She needs to get a mobility score out of Level 9 to move to Level 10...regardless of what she is doing on the Hopes/Elite path.

What you are describing makes no sense to me (skills & execution to qualify Hopes/Elite but can't make mobility score to move out of level 9), so I don't know if it is getting lost in translation or what. It sounds like you need to have a discussion with your coaches, none of us have enough information from you to give you more help.

I think OP is concerned about start values, not mobility scores. The low start values might be because she is penalized for doing skills that are not allowed at the level. If the coach doesn't want her to water down her routines then she needs to take the hit on SV in L9 and hopefully still hit the mobility score to move to L10 where she can compete all her skills without penalty.

I think OP is concerned about start values, not mobility scores. The low start values might be because she is penalized for doing skills that are not allowed at the level. If the coach doesn't want her to water down her routines then she needs to take the hit on SV in L9 and hopefully still hit the mobility score to move to L10 where she can compete all her skills without penalty.

But the solution to that is simple (and has already been offered)...compete a watered down routine on all 4 events to get to a SV of 10 for 1 meet and then move to Level 10. The reasoning behind not doing that, if mobility is desired, is what? Most gymnasts uptrain but only compete what is ready to compete (or able to be competed in the level). You don't see Level 5s doing a full on the floor, even if they have the skill. There has to be more to this story because as described, it doesn't make sense. I've already seen Level 9 gymnasts with multiple falls (1 or more in a couple of events) score above a 34 this season, so what is going on here?

I guess you are right because all her starting values are low because of the elements that not allowed for level 9. I guess as what her coach said just for exposure. I just want to be sure and re assure my daughter that don’t get frustrated if you will have no awards. Thank you for the enlightenment.
All other advises or suggestions are open. Thanks.

What is her execution like? Is it possible that she is getting deductions for not having a clean routine? It seems very short-sighted if the coach is requiring her to compete with skills that are sabotaging her start values. The doesn't seem like good exposure to me.

Reactions: sce
Most kids have two sets of routines, the JO routine and their elite qualifying routine. She cannot skip to level 10 without getting the score-pout score for level 9. She can go from level 9 to elite and never compete level 10 though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back