Levering action in HS, and CW

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just curious really.

Is the levering-action (standard lunge entry) of the handstand, cartwheel, etc. considered an intergral part OF the skill itself or as a preliminary step TO the skill?

I ask only because at competitions and while observing my DD practice, I see many-a-gymnasts do either a pretty lever-action, while others that just seem to bend at the waist and reach down. The coaches don't seem to care either way. At least, not at the lower levels.

Thanks in advance.

Im curious too as we don't see the straight legged 'T' lever used in the Uk. What do coaches feel are the benefits of this as opposed to a bent leg lunge or just a reach in? Some girls do a very distinct pause in the position before cartwheel or handstand. What do the coaches feel is the benefit to this pause rather than a smooth entry?

it is a deduction to not lever into your handstand and your level 4,5,and 6 dismounts.
at my gym, we are taught to pause slighty in each position: lunge, level, handstand, then lever out of it as well.
oh yeah, if you don't lever out, it is a deduction as well ): sorry..
i am a level 6 and i don't lever into any of my skills on beam...i just take the deduction for it becaus i am scared :) haha
and i am not sure if you are supposed to lever into a cartwheel or not...hummm.......

It is a requirement for the lower level compulsory routines. I also find that it not only looks prettier, it helps to control the skill...(gymnast has to stretch & squeeze to complete it correctly).

It is a requirement for the lower level compulsory routines. I also find that it not only looks prettier, it helps to control the skill...(gymnast has to stretch & squeeze to complete it correctly).

You don't think the pause looks stilted? I thought it was really weird the first time I saw it on youtube. Most children drop the leg slightly after the pause and 'hop' up to the handstand/cartwheel. Is this a deduction?

I teach them to lever through, but not a significant pause (they need to hit the position). Dropping the leg is a pet peeve of mine and I correct that. Similarly coming out of things and not holding the back leg up as the chest rises is another big pet peeve and I think it looks terrible for the girls to do BWO like that especially in a floor routine. Chest needs to rise quickly relative to where the leg is moving.

Breaking at the waist indicates to me not contracting the back muscles that are important for the kick into the RO and FHS and a lack of balance. At the lower levels it's important to me that they show they can pass through those positions with good alignment and balance. This is a huge balance and control issue for many of my lower levels. I work on lunge, back lever kick (no HS), lunge a lot. This is similar to getting slightly higher beginning levels (say 5 and 6) to BWO starting with their leg up. It helps develop balance and control.

I don't teach a true lever hold into the CW though, just a strong back kick (so they pass through). Whether I emphasize the hold with HSs or walkovers depends on the level, they should pass through though, especially on beam the quick chest rise and lever out is important in developing good series. I said in another post on floor that CW lever OUT is hugely important to me, it is important that the RO be a late snap with the chest and arms leading.

I do not teach the straight leg T-lever action. I teach it with a bent knee. The lever line is kept straight from heel to wrist though. It's probably a bit tougher especially with the weak or inflexible as the knee is dynamic rather than having the leg be static.

I teach this from the lunge to HS to the chagrin of most of my tumblers and gymnasts. I'm really a nazi about it. Lever in and lever out or I won't really care if you want to work BHS and RO. Failure to be able to do this means you're RO is gonna suck and you won't understand a critical action fundamental to tumbling and gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back