Parents Likelihood of College Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jillc

Proud Parent
So my DD just started team and will compete for the first time this fall. When I tell people this they automatically start asking about the Olympics or maybe even college gymnastics -- which annoys me.

But it has gotten me thinking (as a math fan)...
What do you think the odds are of a kid starting USAG meets and actually making to to college gymnastics? I'm thinking it is likely lower than 1%.

I know the answer for the Olympics-- it is practically 0%.

Reactions: sce
63 D1 programs, with 12 girls each = 756 girls. 68,797 girls in USAG (2009 numbers). 1% chance. I can't find more recent stats specifically on WAG, but overall USAG athlete membership is up 33% since 2009, so the odds are likely even worse, unless most of that growth came in MAG.

63 D1 programs, with 12 girls each = 756 girls. 68,797 girls in USAG (2009 numbers). 1% chance. I can't find more recent stats specifically on WAG, but overall USAG athlete membership is up 33% since 2009, so the odds are likely even worse, unless most of that growth came in MAG.
This is great! Thanks!

Likely lower still, considering the D1 programs also pull gymnasts from other countries.

Out of all sports, 1% of high school graduates receive athletic scholarships each year.
So yep, less than one percent.

The probability also changes depending on how old the child is when they start.

When people say that to me about the Olympics, I usually laugh and say "yeah, no...but hopefully we can go to watch someday!"

For college I tell them "it's her dream, but for now the goal is getting through this season....she's only 8 years old"

Likely lower still, considering the D1 programs also pull gymnasts from other countries.
Yep and add in or rather subtract schools are looking for someone strong on an event that is not the gummies thing.

Reactions: sce
When people say that to me about the Olympics, I usually laugh and say "yeah, no...but hopefully we can go to watch someday!"

That is a great response to the Olympics question! For college gymnastics, I tell friends she needs to be a level 10 to start seriously thinking about D1 aspirations. DD is focused on doing well this season and we just take it one year/season at a time.

Our state has some colleges with club teams so I am happy there are options other than a Division 1 school. The number of division 2 and 3 teams seems so small. I wish there were more options to those wanting a collegiate experience.

Asking if she's going to the Olympics always makes me laugh. My response is usually that your son/daughter has a much better chance of being in the NFL, NBA, NHL, etc. where there are a lot more players than just a few girls every 4 years. They often understand after I say that.

It really depends on what you mean by "starting meets" The higher up the levels you begin, the greater the chance of making it to College gym. I had figured it out a while back from old L4 and it was around 3%. Of course, if you include gymnasts all the way down to rec, it is significantly smaller - way under 1%

Remember that there are Division II and III schools as well (a total of 82) and almost all the colleges carry 15-18 gymnasts on their roster - so nearly double at 1230-1476. But still a very small number of gymnasts make it, especially considering that the colleges recruit from other countries as well.

The Olympic questions certainly are entertaining for sure, but at the same time it's super cute and my DD even though she knows the odds are far fetched still daydreams of someday making it big. Does anyone know where in the country do they still have HS gym programs?

The Olympic questions certainly are entertaining for sure, but at the same time it's super cute and my DD even though she knows the odds are far fetched still daydreams of someday making it big. Does anyone know where in the country do they still have HS gym programs?
The HS DD will go to has a HS program, many of them around here do. I'm in IL. And as far as I know it's mostly upper level gymnasts. There are state and regional competitions through the HS.

Washington has hs gymnastics but these are not college track kids. Some upper levels that stopped doing JO and lots of xcel gymnasts. Xcel is really taking off in our state and the quality is elevating. We are at a gym where it is very difficult to make the JO team and the xcel program is very strong. I'm amazed what these girls can do. Nothing like other gyms we were at. They are going to make very successful high school gymnasts. I'm sure there are exceptions but actively competing JO gymnasts do not typically compete high school around here.

But this doesn't count D2 and D3 teams.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back