Limbers OK?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been reading some threads about bridges and how they're not recommended for preschoolers ... I don't want to get into that discussion here, but it got me thinking about limbers.

In Australia, the level 2s have to do a limber in their floor routine, and it's pretty much the hardest part of the routine for most kids, especially trying to stand up again. It looks stressful on their backs to me, but then again, these kids are mostly 7-10 years old - so maybe not so bad? But they do have to train it over and over (and over and over!) to get it right.

They don't do a hingeback, which looks much easier on their backs. What are your opinions on limbers?

This used to be in the USAG level 4 routine. Now we have a handstand bridge kickover.

I think there needs to be appropriate physical prep and instruction, but at that age I don't see anything inherently wrong with it as a skill. I prefer the arch back, walk down the wall, walk back up. Shoulder flex needs to be stress over lower back use. Hip flexors need to be stretched.

Australia has a minimum age limit of 5 turning 6 in the year of competition. In order to compete in any WAG Level. So there wont be any kids below the age of 5 doing these skills. By 5-6 bridges are much safer.

I was actually wondering about limbers not bridges.

And since starting this thread, I've seen a couple of youtube videos that are calling different things limbers. What I'm talking about is standing, then bending backwards into a bridge, then standing back up again (not kicking over) - so basically your feet stay where they are the whole time.

The bending back bit doesn't worry me, but the standing up again seems to put a lot of strain on their backs. Kicking over looks less of a stressor.

The reason I mentioned bridges is that a limber contains a bridge. How safe the limber is will be directly correspondent with how safe the bridge is. But I am looking at the new level 2 routine proposals now and there is no limber. It says a Bridge kickover? Is she doing the national development program?

Yes she is ... do you mean 2009 has a bridge kickover or 2010? Because she's been in level 2 this year and they have been doing a limber (as have the other level 2s in our region).

And I have no issues with the bridge position at her age, it's just the standing up without moving her feet that seems to be hard on their lower backs. I think a bridge kickover sounds better!

Yes, I was talking about the new routines for 2010. They have a bridge kickover in level 2. Is she doing level 3 in 2010?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back