Limited workout for preschooler?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

guest301

I just read lots of posts here about not letting kids do back bands for example till they are 5 or 6. And other things. Well.... My 3 1/2 year old girl can do cartwheels, hand stands against the wall, kick over from the mat. She can do vault - squat jump or straddle landing. She pretty much can do anything that is teachable for her level. The only thing she can't do is backward roll on the floor. She can do on the mat though. So my question is she is 3 1/2 she will be so bored doing all that over and over for another 2 years... What to do?

I think it is partially dependent upon the child. My dd was doing things along the same timeframe as yours. Then, she started level 3 team as a young 5 and level 4 team as a young 6. Talk to her coach about it.

I saw that too when I first came on here. My 4 1/2 year old can do a back walkover, bridge to kick over too and I've stopped her from doing them in the house (she's constantly flipping somewhere) there is so much they work on in gym (pullovers, hip circles, vault, round offs, beam, etc) all that are age/skill appropriate, that doesn't include these and I think the coach knows what's best for them. They will still occasionally work on bridges but just once or twice. Now I only let her do handstands around the house but she's learned some cool walking on the hand stuff lol. She won't get bored, too much to learn and do! :)

3 year olds love to have fun and use their imagination! I have yet to meet a bored 3 year old in a quality preschool program. Would your child automatically be bored in general PE or on the playground? Nope, not if it's fun! Gymnastics is the same thing - the only focus doesn't have to be on skills.

1. I don't think you should consider whatever class they have for a 3yo, or 3-4yo; a workout. It's not really a workout if it's rec. Now if they get into developmental, it's a little bit more of a workout but it's still pretty low key. Exploring but more work done and challenge.

2. I don't really expect a 3 1/2 yo to do a backward roll on floor. I'm pretty jazzed if they can do it on a wedge. Big heads in proportion to their bodies doesn't help and some kids arms just aren't that strong at that point.

3. There is still plenty to learn such as basics on a low or medium beam and there is so much they can learn on bars, besides not being scared of them. Upside down, support and casting, rolls, pullovers with a block, by themselves, skin the cats spotted and back hips spotted and hanging or hang walks (not really swings at this age, but who knows).

4. And of course, maybe even trampoline work on a tumble-trak or tramp. Even basic stuff like seat drop, bouncing in table, turns, positions, etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back