Little DD told not to come back to class

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The way they acted does not surprise me. I think it's natural to see someone leaving your gym to go somewhere else as a personal insult to your gym. If it was another business like your were using a new mechanic or electrican and they found out they would also be offended, but the way they acted was unprofessional. I think it is really hard in this situation some of the other girls on my daughters team left and went to another gym and were not upfront about it and other ones left to go to a closer gym well the ones who were honest I believe left on good terms. Me personally I feel I would owe it to the coaches and owner to be honest. I think in the long run you will be better off having both girls in the same gym.

As someone who moved her daughter's gym this past fall, I can see exactly where you are coming from. I informed my daughter's gym mid-month of the intended move and the gym's reaction was totally inappropriate and unprofessional...the coach walked into the gym and announced to all that my daughter would no longer be coached here by anyone and that they (the gym) was "better off without her" ...this is all as my daughter is sitting right there!! I had paid through the end of the month but we never went back after that. This move came after MONTHS of pleading with her coaches to do some actual coaching. There had been a lot of attrition of the coaches who could actually coach the big skills she needed and the gym's position was that "any of our coaches is capable of coaching every level", and they were not. We are now at a gym that is capable of coaching higher level (9 & 10) gymnasts and she is getting the training she needs...she has actually gotten 10 new skills since the switch!! My bottom line on not informing the gym is that if I had to do it over again, I would have kept my mouth shut and just left. My daughter was horrified to think that her former coach could behave in this manner towards a child because it was actually MY decision as her parent to move her to the new gym. Gym coaches and owners have to remember that as parents , we are the consumers , and if we feel like you are not delivering a quality product, we will take our money elsewhere.

That was terrible for your daughter and will have hurt her enormously. You tried to be honest and you had tried to sort it out beforehand. There is probably something in their small print about giving a months notice before removing children from class. There usually is. I think you ought to write a letter documenting this incident to the clubs owners with a copy to the welfare officer (do you have them - every club has to in UK -to look after the childrens wellbeing) also a copy to your state gymnastics body. Very unprofessional of the coach. Very unpleasant for you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back