Liukin's performance and scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I saw a few deductions but I think they took them. Some I didnt see anything major. BTW what did the page say can you translate it for us?

Oh and welcome, are you a gymnast, fan, coach or parent? You really should go introduce yourself in the introduction section for starters.

Okay...this confirms a thing or two...Nastia's sheep jump is really, really bad...and so is her switch ring. So bad that they really don't deserve credit. Her head releases and her leg, or legs get maybe to shoulder height...but never at the same time. Her head is way forward by the time she hits the top of the jump.

She does bend her knees significantly every time she taps forward or backward...

and the dismount is really horrific technically as well as form-wise.

There...I said it.

i think this picture caught Nastia's sheep jump at the wrong time. If you've seen other pics of her sheep jump i would say it is one of the best if not the best.:)

A couple of those videos remind me of a conversation going on when I walked into my gym the other day, we had a former elite saying how Marta ALWAYS gave her crap about "cowboying" her legs on her dismount, but didn't give Nastia much trouble about doing the same thing. It really does look ugly.

~Katy

i think this picture caught Nastia's sheep jump at the wrong time. If you've seen other pics of her sheep jump i would say it is one of the best if not the best.:)

The picture of the Chinese gymnast (I think it's Li Ya) doing a sheep jump shows a position that Nastia couldn't get herself into if her life depended on it...that is what a sheep jump is supposed to look like.

Nastia does not release her head and lift her feet past shoulder height at the same time, and she never has. she never even gets close. If you have such a picture, I would sure love to see it.

excuse me?

sheepjumpAA.jpg

Nastiasheepjumpstill.jpg

and her switch ring deserved credit, she released her head a little early, but she did release it

switchring-1.jpg

and as if the Chinese don't have their own problems with piking everything down and cheating leaps

chestlowondoublepike.jpg

lowlandingonfull-in.jpg

JYYscheatedleap.jpg

they both have their faults, but that web page is just completely unnecessary pointing out her every flaw

It think this whole thread was sour grapes. Yep and Nastia would be even more flexable if she was 12 *ahem*

This thread is an anti -Nastia thread with a purpose. Forgive me if I offend by saying that

excuse me?

sheepjumpAA.jpg

Nastiasheepjumpstill.jpg

and her switch ring deserved credit, she released her head a little early, but she did release it

switchring-1.jpg

and as if the Chinese don't have their own problems with piking everything down and cheating leaps

chestlowondoublepike.jpg

lowlandingonfull-in.jpg

JYYscheatedleap.jpg

they both have their faults, but that web page is just completely unnecessary pointing out her every flaw

The definition of a sheep and ring position are shown on page 29 of the FIG code. This first photo shows a lack of head release in the position. Nastia releases her head as she jumps and pulls it back forward before she ever gets into the sheep/ring position. If a gymnast from another country with a lesser reputation did this, they would not receive credit. The second photo is taken from below, and we all know what that does.

The ring shown is way better than most. The switch ring performed in the Olympic AA was her most obvious switch leap with no ring at all, to which she was given credit.

If you want to compare landing positions from double back saltos, it's kind of hard because Liukin can't do a double back...

Stop!

Ok you two so need to stop. You're being riduclous on how you rant on. Nastia's scoring is decided by the judges not us. They thought the scoring they did was fair and she still did amazing. Only Shawn beat her on beam and she got gold in the all-around. So PUH-LEAZE stop!

Ok you two so need to stop. You're being riduclous on how you rant on. Nastia's scoring is decided by the judges not us. They thought the scoring they did was fair and she still did amazing. Only Shawn beat her on beam and she got gold in the all-around. So PUH-LEAZE stop!

NastiaFan101 and I both have the right to our own opinions. I actually appreciate the visuals...which is what I was interested in. It's a conversation about two different views, and I can respect what NastiaFan has to say. I don't think Nastia is in danger of losing her gold medal over this, and I'm sure NastiaFan101 has every intention of still loving Nastia because she is a beautiful and gifted athlete. I can't argue with that.

The Olympic AA Champion isn't perfect...and the Chinese article pointed that out when there were complaints that the Chinese were being overscored. I think that they had a valid point, illustrated by the photos and animations in the article. Nastia has always had questionable issues on her sheep/ring jumps/leaps and bar dismounts. They are much better than they were in the past, and they obviously weren't bad enough that she lost the AA, but they still exist.

The conversation wasn't about Shawn Johnson or the Olympic judges. While I respect your right to post, I'm not clear on your goal...to silent other people's opinions and tell them to stop discussing?:confused:Are you a moderator?

Last edited:
I think her point was that it was getting dangerously close to a heated argument. I was thinking the same thing, too.

I think her point was that it was getting dangerously close to a heated argument. I was thinking the same thing, too.

Exactly my point. And sometimes stating your opinion will get you in trouble on here... and anyways there is no point in arguing in something like this. And again, it all depends on the picture angle..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back