WAG Long practice and hunger

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our kids get water breaks but no snack breaks. I really think they adjust to 4 hours without food. I do make my kids eat well before practice. My dd doesn't love a big breakfast but will drink a power packed smoothie in the morning, so that may work for your gymmie. They are both starving after practice and ready for a substantial meal after their workouts.

I'll try to talk to the coach about it next practice. Most of the girls are older, there are only a couple younger girls, so maybe they will work a quick snack break in for the little ones. It is definitely harder to keep sugar level stable on a 45-50 lb little girl, vs. a 100 lb older girl. Honestly, she has actually been pretty good for the practice, only the morning practices have been a problem, since she's not a big morning eater. But I wonder if she'd stay stronger until the end at ALL her workouts with a little snack half-way through.

I would talk to the coach and if you have to send the note of a doctor or nutritionist. There is no valid reason to ban a small snack of healthy food over four hours, esp if breaks are worked in. If it was two hours then I think they do fine (my 6 year olds do 2 hours with no formal break, if a parent approached me that the child needs a snack for whatever reason they would get it). Four hours is double that and too long. Even three hours too long.

For now send her with a drink of a Pediasure or flavored milk that isn't too high in sugar.

I'll try to talk to the coach about it next practice. Most of the girls are older, there are only a couple younger girls, so maybe they will work a quick snack break in for the little ones. It is definitely harder to keep sugar level stable on a 45-50 lb little girl, vs. a 100 lb older girl. Honestly, she has actually been pretty good for the practice, only the morning practices have been a problem, since she's not a big morning eater. But I wonder if she'd stay stronger until the end at ALL her workouts with a little snack half-way through.

I was wondering the age make up of the group.you may have you answer there. The coach may not realize the different nutritional needs of the little ones or may not want to address it since then the older ingress will complain. Personally, I think all the girls should be allowed a snack because the energy level is definitely depleted after about 3hrs of heavy workout.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

My ds eats non-stop. I can't imagine not having something for them. Applesauce works well for D, and we do use the squeeze ones that EastCoastMom was talking about. As for gatorades, I only let D have the clear ones. The others are loaded with dyes and we try to avoid those at all costs. We buy the little clear ones. His coach actually recommended them to help prevent his migraines. He also has a snack handy, although he doesn't always eat it. Bananas are one of his favorites, or a pb&j or a granola bar.

Good luck!

I think everyone has hit this problem at some time or another. when it hit for us a rule was put in place - no food no gymnastics. DD has to eat something or she can't go to practice. At the gym during the water breaks she goes where her stuff is and has chocolate milk and a quick bite of some crackers or fruit slices. Chocolate milk is really the best drink for the gymnasts.

Talk to the coach and explain this issue your DD has on Saturdays and most coaches I know are great people and will listen. Most try to make accomodations especially if it means a stronger gymnast and a safer practice.

Chocolate milk is really the best drink for the gymnasts.

Can you elaborate on this? Would white milk work too? Bella only reluctantly drinks chocolate milk but likes white skim milk.

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

Can you elaborate on this? Would white milk work too? Bella only reluctantly drinks chocolate milk but likes white skim milk.

Studies have shown that chocolate milk has a very good ratio of protein, carbs, and fats, and it gets digested easily (for those not sensitive to lactose, that is), which helps athletes recover from workouts faster that a meal with similar ratios but harder to digest (meat, complex carbs). There's a lot of info about it on the internet. people have latched onto it because it its fast, easy, and most kids love it. we don't use it. One of my kids is severely lactose intolerant and the other two usually have milk only on cereal, occasionally for dinner.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

My son likes the expensive organic vanilla milk that only comes in juice box form. I have that and a piece of fruit in the car ready after every practice or take my chances of his crabby alter ego coming to visit. He only has 3.5 hr practices so he does ok with that as long as he eats something right after. Our big issue was school because he was hardly eating lunch because it was such a short time and so loud and crazy. he's doing better now but sometimes I feel like it is a full-time job just trying to feed him enough to maintain his weight!

According to studies and my DD's Dr:

Compared to plain milk, water, or most sports drinks, it has double the carbohydrate and protein content, perfect for replenishing tired muscles. Its high water content replaces fluids lost as sweat, preventing dehydration. Plus it packs a nutritional bonus of calcium, and includes just a little sodium and sugar -- additives that help recovering athletes retain water and regain energy.

My DD has issues with Low Iron and Dehydration during meet season and would get nauses and dizzy during practice the Choc milk really helped.

My son likes the expensive organic vanilla milk that only comes in juice box form. I have that and a piece of fruit in the car ready after every practice or take my chances of his crabby alter ego coming to visit. He only has 3.5 hr practices so he does ok with that as long as he eats something right after. Our big issue was school because he was hardly eating lunch because it was such a short time and so loud and crazy. he's doing better now but sometimes I feel like it is a full-time job just trying to feed him enough to maintain his weight!

I'll have to look into that. I'm always looking into options. Bella also leaves her school hungry as an ox. I pack her lunch but every now and then she eats school lunch. No matter what, it isn't enough to last her through the day.

Bella gets to my classroom about 30 minutes before my last ends. While I'm teaching, she goes behind my desk and gets snacks/drinks that I keep in containers and the refrigerator. She can even use a hot plate a 500-mL beaker to boil an egg or two for herself. I have a microwave if she wants to warm anything up.

Then we go to gym and she works out for 3.5 hours with a ten minute snack break. During her snack break, she eats a handful of something or other. Even with all of that, when we get home, she is ready for a hearty dinner.

Compared to plain milk, water, or most sports drinks, it has double the carbohydrate and protein content, perfect for replenishing tired muscles. Its high water content replaces fluids lost as sweat, preventing dehydration. Plus it packs a nutritional bonus of calcium, and includes just a little sodium and sugar -- additives that help recovering athletes retain water and regain energy.

Very interesting. Thanks for the additional info.

We do smoothies for morning practices too, otherwise nothing gets eaten! I put juice, frozen fruit, a banana, yogurt, and peanut butter or wheat germ in there.

As for the "no food" rule, I don't get it. If you have to, have her pediatrician write a note that she has to have a small snack every time practice is longer than 3 hours so her blood sugar doesn't plummet. Common sense, really.

My DD has issues with Low Iron and Dehydration during meet season and would get nauses and dizzy during practice the Choc milk really helped.

So what do you use to make the chocolate milk? What type of milk and what type/brand of flavouring?

So what do you use to make the chocolate milk? What type of milk and what type/brand of flavouring?
Not sure about brands, but I would say look for one with as little in the way of additives and artificial junk as possible (though you might not have that problem in Aus). Just check the labels. Here in the states Organic Valley is supposed to be good as far as minimal other stuff added, they also have it in single serve sizes. You might be able to come up with your own chocolate milk powder/syrup with a little google-ing. I also found this- Organic Chocolate Syrup by Santa Cruz Organics
As far as milk type, I guess it depends on what your family chooses. Lots of people support low-fat milks, but I'm a big proponent of whole milk. But milk with some fats help the body to absorb the nutrients in the milk.

I quite like the rule one poster said about 'no breakfast, no practice' in theory, however as a child I would have hated it!

I am not a big morning eater now, and was even less of one when I was younger. Eating before I was ready just made me feel sick, then I probably wouldn't have wanted to go to practice anyway!

Now, as an adult, I am obviously more in control of what I eat and when. I know that I generally can't eat until 2 hours after I've got up so making sure I'm up early enough for my stomach to wake up too is useful unless that would be a ridiculous time! I like to have a variety of breakfast foods in the house because I can also only eat what I fancy (I'm really not a fussy eater any other time of the day!) but I generally have the following available: cereal, bread, crumpets, eggs, English muffins, fruit, yoghurt.

On days where it would be silly to get up 2 hours early, I try to take something with me like a banana.

I think a lot of coaches tend to ban gatorade/powerade type drinks because they are so sugary and we want to promote healthy lifestyles. They also stain if spilled! We only allow water at our gym - we have a water machine so gymnasts don't even need to bring their own or leave their bottles behind!

As far as snacks, our developmental gymnasts aged between 5-7 all have a 5 minute snack break for every 2 hours they are at the gym (it must be something healthy)

For gymnasts training longer hours we discourage snack breaks however wouldn't ever ban them altogether and if a gymnast needed a snack for any reason they would be allowed to have one. Our longest sessions are 4 hours long - some gymnasts do train 6 hours on a Sunday but with a proper lunch break.

I think most clubs/coaches are pretty reasonable - some just need educating - not all coaches have their own children or know/understand about little ones needing to eat regularly! Speak to your HC and explain the situation, you never know until you ask!

Not sure about brands, but I would say look for one with as little in the way of additives and artificial junk as possible (though you might not have that problem in Aus). Just check the labels. Here in the states Organic Valley is supposed to be good as far as minimal other stuff added, they also have it in single serve sizes. You might be able to come up with your own chocolate milk powder/syrup with a little google-ing. I also found this- Organic Chocolate Syrup by Santa Cruz Organics
As far as milk type, I guess it depends on what your family chooses. Lots of people support low-fat milks, but I'm a big proponent of whole milk. But milk with some fats help the body to absorb the nutrients in the milk.

Thanks, I've never bought any of the premade flavoured milks as they are far far too sweet and full of sugar for us.
But I might do milo as a pre-gym snack (it's barley based choc powder) though as that's healthier than chocolate powder.

Really appreciate all the feedback and ideas. We'll definitely send her with some chocolate milk for half-way through practice, she LOVES chocolate milk :) Hopefully they'll let her have a small snack with the milk too.

I buy the Hershey Chocolate milk already made in the bottles. (dd's favorite). I know its more expensive but I get the single serving size so she can just grab one and go.

I get Hood milk if we mix in but any brand will do and as for Flavoring its Chocolate milk

IF we do a mix in it's Hershey suryp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back