Looking for a group of gymnasts to attend Karolyi sleep-away camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As a parent of a 7 year-old gymnast who wants to attend sleep-away camp, I am very nervous.. Any others out there? anyhow, if a small group is coordinated, the group organizer can attend.... please let me know if anyone is interested in attending... we are looking at the early June 11 session at the Karolyifs lease PM me if you are interested... thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My DD hasn't been to that camp but some of her friends have and its a wonderful place to go. All mom's and dad's sending their lilttle ones to their first overnight camp are nervous and worried no matter who is going. When my DD was 7yo and went to her first overnight camp there was a group going but I was still nervous.

Instead of trying to get a bunch of folks from here that you really don't know how about organizing a group from the gym your DD goes to. Talk to the owner and see if they will let you do a campaign through the teams and rec classes. That way they will at least be parents and kids from your own gymnastic group and the person that can go could be the team coach so there is a coach too the kids will know.

I edited your post to remove the email address, putting it out on the Internet is asking for nasty spam. PM works great here.

Thanks

That's a great idea... in our state, school doesn't let out until the end of the month, so that week won't work for any of the other girls.

My DD hasn't been to that camp but some of her friends have and its a wonderful place to go. All mom's and dad's sending their lilttle ones to their first overnight camp are nervous and worried no matter who is going. When my DD was 7yo and went to her first overnight camp there was a group going but I was still nervous.

Instead of trying to get a bunch of folks from here that you really don't know how about organizing a group from the gym your DD goes to. Talk to the owner and see if they will let you do a campaign through the teams and rec classes. That way they will at least be parents and kids from your own gymnastic group and the person that can go could be the team coach so there is a coach too the kids will know.

Do you live close to the camp? My only thought, as a parent of a 12 year old who still isn't big on sleeping away anywhere, is that depending on your child, you may want to pick a camp as close as possible to your home. Just in case (or just because knowing you are 2 hours away may be better than 8 hours away!)

Unless you plan on staying at a hotel close by? We have a friend who went to WOGA day camp a few years ago and apparently girls come from all over and stay at a local hotel. I believe I read somewhere (here, maybe?) that there are a couple of gyms in the midwest that do similar types of camps.

And you mention the specific week you are looking at but say most other kids in your area don't get out of school until later. So perhaps you are able to switch weeks so as to pick a group of kids who your daughter knows?

Just a thought (or two)

7 is to young. that's all.:)
I agree with this. I used to go to a 2 week gym camp each summer from ages 10-14. I was the only one from my gym. (Gym was in NH and camp was in WA.) The first year was very difficult. My 8yo reads about Woodward and the like and has asked if she can go. I told her once she is in "double digits," (10 or over,) we will talk. Until then, she needs to spend her summers focusing on being a kiddo, not a gymnast. They really do grow up so fast. Hold them close while you can.

My gym last year had been in the habit of sending a group of girls and coach but last year after starting to hear from parents if we were going to support, it was decided not to. I hear the kids love it (except the food but maybe that's just picky Bay area kids) but a few of our coaches didn't think it was all that stellar. A handful went anyways. We ended up recommending our girls go to Stanford's camp for a variety of issues being cost, it was still in the Bay area and quality of instruction and I think one of our coach's didn't want to go or was going on vacation for a few weeks in summer (and I was sorta being looked at to go instead). In parting, I'd look to gather up girls and a coach/parent from your gym. If there isn't enough demand or any in your gym, I'd scout around locally and see if other gyms in the area are going and possibly about adding your DD to the mix.

Thanks. If I bring the group, I can stay at the camp as the group leader. I don't want to send her alone to sleep-away camp just yet... she's 7, but a very young 7. After mid-June, my work won't allow for me to go...

Do you live close to the camp? My only thought, as a parent of a 12 year old who still isn't big on sleeping away anywhere, is that depending on your child, you may want to pick a camp as close as possible to your home. Just in case (or just because knowing you are 2 hours away may be better than 8 hours away!)

Unless you plan on staying at a hotel close by? We have a friend who went to WOGA day camp a few years ago and apparently girls come from all over and stay at a local hotel. I believe I read somewhere (here, maybe?) that there are a couple of gyms in the midwest that do similar types of camps.

And you mention the specific week you are looking at but say most other kids in your area don't get out of school until later. So perhaps you are able to switch weeks so as to pick a group of kids who your daughter knows?

Just a thought (or two)

Thanks. If I bring the group, I can stay at the camp as the group leader. I don't want to send her alone to sleep-away camp just yet... she's 7, but a very young 7. After mid-June, my work won't allow for me to go...

If your not comfotable yet having her go to sleep away camp unless you go too then I would say look for a day camp option to go to until both of you are ready for her to go without you. Being at an overnight camp for a week with out parents is one of the biggies of going to an overnight camp. It also fosters independance and allows your child to learn they can do things without mom or dad.

If you go to a Woodward camp a parent can go and work at the camp (if approved, would need to act fast on this), which is what I did when my dd was 9 (almost 10). I went with her. Actually if she goes again I will go too. My 7 year old talks about going, but no way, I thought 9 was a good age with me there. The older ones were fine without a parent (for the most part) and the younger ones were a little lost and unmotivated without a parent. 10-14 is the perfect age really.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

If you go to a Woodward camp a parent can go and work at the camp (if approved, would need to act fast on this), which is what I did when my dd was 9 (almost 10). I went with her. Actually if she goes again I will go too. My 7 year old talks about going, but no way, I thought 9 was a good age with me there. The older ones were fine without a parent (for the most part) and the younger ones were a little lost and unmotivated without a parent. 10-14 is the perfect age really.

Hmmmmm... thoughts that instantly come to mind when reading your post:
1. Have you checked with your gym?
2. Is there a group of girls from your gym that "know" you that you may be able to gather together to go?
3. Is Karolyi Camp near your home (like 2-3 hours or so away) or will you and her have to fly, or drive a long distance?
4. You are new here- just a few posts- what do you want to take responsibility for some *unknown* kids and what do you think people on an anonymous message board would be interested in forming a group?
5. Is there a closer day camp hosted by a big name Elite gym or College program she could attend as a day camper for this summer- to get her feet wet?

No need to answer them out loud on this board- just things to ponder. Best wishes with whatever you decide to do.

Yeah, Geddart's and Jack Carters camp basically are day camps with evening activities and out of towners stay at a local hotel. Probably more bang for your buck but not a Fantasy camp.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back