Looks like H1N1 !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SO glad your DD is on the road to recovery. Terribly sad about the little girls who didn't do so well.

Wash hands, cough in your elbow and stay home if your sick. Simple and very effective advice.

Glad she's on the mend! The flu has been roaring through kids locally, thankfully we've been fortunate with parent vigilance! We have someone waiting with a giant bottle of hand sanitizer at the end of classes to give the kids on their way out. So far so good. Good luck the rest of the season!

On a related note, does anyone give their kids a probiotic supplement? I've been doing it for my daughter for the past 3 years. She gets carsick occasionally, and once had something resembling food poisoning. No flu ever though, allergies are her main problem!

Linsul,

We do probiotics sometimes, but not regularly. Only if they have a bad stomach bug, I will get some and give it to them to try to get the flora back to normal. :)

For cold and flu season, we use Elderberry syrup (Sambucol) and lots of vitamin C at the very first sign of an illness, we all start it so that it hopefully doesn't spread around. We take the daily of the Elderberry (because it usually has label for daily and intensive) 3 times a day at least. For the Vitamin C DH and I will take 6 grams (6000mg) a day (more if we don't see improvement after a day or 2) divided into 2 doses and the girls will take 2 grams (2 500mg chewables in the am/2 in the pm).

We also always have some Oscillococcinum on hand and will take a few doses of that the first day, if what we have seems like the flu as opposed to a regular cold, then we keep taking that. We take one capful of the vial (instead of the whole thing, my old homeopath said to do this) 3 times a day, so each vial usually lasts the 3 doses for the day for each person.

Vitacost has the best prices on natural stuff, vitamins, etc. And reviews to see if things taste good, etc.

The Elderberry syrup tastes sooo good, my girls love it and never have a problem taking it.

We never get the flu shot (and you would have to force me to get/give my girls the H1N1 vaccine) and we rarely get sick around here. If we do, we start our protocol and are usually better in a few days and never feel really horrible. Many times only the original person gets it and the rest of us avoid it completely. Who knows if we would have gotten it, but it doesn't hurt. :D

Hope your dd is now fully recovered. We've had 5 or 6 girls in the team program who have had confirmed cases of the H1N1. I want to beg parents, if you child is sick, keep them home from school and gym. I've been running across alot of the attitude of "its just the H1N1 and the kids don't get that sick." Well, some do get over it quickly and some get quite sick especially those with asthma, diabetes etc.

Too true.

And it's not just the other kids in your child's class who'd be exposed. It's coaches (a lot of us in the age group who are in fact projected to get slammed by swine flu, and more than you think are in the have-asthma-or-other-conditions-category), it's siblings, it's parents and grandparents who do the pick up/drop off thing. It's just not worth it.

Glad to hear she is recovering!!

That was very sad about the 11 year old. Swine flu is one of those things that goes for people who already have a problem and take advantage.

So, if you do get it but you don't have asthma/diabetes/etc. don't flip out, just go to the doc and take your meds. You'll probably be fine. But say home from school and stuff so you don't spread it to people who do have problems.

Well, DD woke up this morning with a temp of 101.3, severe headache, body aches, stuffy nose and a cough !
Because she has asthma I called her doctor who had me bring her in. He said she has the flu, and that the seasonal flu has not reared it's ugly head yet so it had to be H1N1. Because she is high risk they prescribed Tamaflu. He said that since we got her in so quickly after the onset and are getting the Tamaflu in her quickly she should be fine by Monday.
We do have to break out the nebuluzer and pulmocort for the week as well.

I am looking for some 'may nobody else in the family catch it fairies' and have just stocked up on Lysol !!
Us too!! We just finished with it after 10 days. Dr. gave entire family tamiflu and thankfully no one else got it. DD missed 10 days of school and gym. Not too bad. Hope it clears up soon for you.

It is great that you were able to get the Tamiflu so quickly. Luckily no H1N1 here, my family all has a case of the sniffles.. but no fevers. So lots of handwashing, fluids and rest.

I also try to get my kids to drink Airborne, or Best Defense from Herbalife.. I find it really helps me get over my stuff quickly.. Beetle will take it fine, Bug not so much.. she hates all meds.. she would rather be up all night with a stuffy nose than take anything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back