WAG Losing skills due to growth

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Haha. Speaking as a five foot tall woman there were times in my life when I would have done anything for another few inches. Of course, I get to watch everyone else suffer being scrunched up on airplanes, so I guess it balances out in the end.

If she is 5’5” and 11, it sounds like she is not even close to being done with her growth spurt. I am in agreement with reanndrops. It seems crazy to do level 6 for a 3rd year because of a missing giant. Can she clear hip to handstand?

I sat here for a bit coming up with excuse after excuse as to why my kid is still a level 6. There is no excuse it’s freaking insane. Even with foot fracture after foot fracture.

She wasn’t even given the option to level up when we came to the new gym. Zero work on any bar but strap bar for giants. Their goal was to retrain her under their philosophy.....blah blah. But it seems to be working on all other events. Bars seems to be taking the longest. So now, I’m not sure what the new excuse is. I have disengaged. I drop her off and come back 4 hours later.

We don’t really have any other option but to quit. and she is 100% not ready for that.

So while she is repeating again, she is safe, happy and doing what she loves. After seeing her old team mates compete this past weekend, I’m 100% sure we are better off here than there.

I honestly thought with all the injuries and setbacks we would be done by now. But she’s more determined than ever.

Grrrr. If she is "only missing a giant" then there is no LEGIT reason she shouldn't be allowed to compete Level 7 after 2 years of L6. A giant is not REQUIRED for the level (except by rigid gyms that don't understand that every gymnast is different and alternate skills that meet the requirements can score just as well).
And I understand the continual growth spurt ... YG has been going through one since spring / summer 2017. Bars are definitely affected. Lost a few skills. Had to relearn her kip and is is still hit or miss in practice but USUALLY there for competition. Lost her clear hip and her squat on ... but she only had the squat on for a couple weeks until her torso caught back up to her arms and legs.

Good luck to you and your DD.

To the original poster. My daughter is a 2nd year L9 and struggling with this same thing. She has grown so much. Her skills are harder this year so between that and the growth she is actually doing worse her second year than her first. I keep telling her to hang in there but I have no idea how much taller she will get. She's grown 3 inches in 4 months!

As a tall woman, I promise taller is better for most things in life. Maybe not gymnastics. I hope my daughters are at least as tall as me.
YG is taller than her mother already ... at 5'5.5 inches (her mom is 5'4). She is only an inch or so shorter than OG. Their dad is exactly 6' tall. Projections are that she will end up between 5'5" and 5'7.7" tall.
We only want to slow her growth because she doesn't grow evenly ... and it stinks that the tough part of almost all of her growth spurts have come DURING or just before competition season (for the last 4-6 years). We want growth spurts to come in July and end in July, lol!

Just so curious now, what sorts of things in life is it better to be taller (besides the obvious reaching for things)?

I am 5'0" and I guess we all value our own experiences as I would have said beimg short has a lot of advantages.
I agree with you ... and I am "tall" for a girl in my family at 5'3.25" ... I have female cousins that are anywhere from 4'10" to 5'6.5" (2 cousins). Since Grandma (4'9.75") and my aunt (4'10") passed away, you are not an adult until you are taller than my 4'10" cousin. YG has been an "adult" in my family since she was almost 10, lol.

Unfortunately there were no references or suggested resources provided. (I would have loved to get a list of articles.) I will pm you the name of the program.

Ooh can you please PM me as well? I'd love to get something like this started in my community!

Sometimes the growth spurt is later than age 12....mine FINALLY grew at age 14 and she grew a ton. She is a first year L9 this year which makes for a VERY frustrating season thus far that will continue on through. She has lost skills, refound them, only to lose them again. As long as she is happy we will continue....but hopefully now that she is 14 her major growing is done! It took long enough!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back