Low Bar height??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm wondering how high you have the low bar. I'm 15, 5'2" and a level 8/9. I have issues with keeping my feet up on my counters. My low bar is so low right now that i can't even swing on it with my knees bent because they hit the ground. Is that bad?
So, where do you have your low bar?

I'm just under 5'2", and the low bar at my home gym hits around the middle of my forehead. My knees don't quite hit the ground if I hang, but they do hit (as I found out the hard way) if I try to do a bent-leg giant.

FIG standards are 166cm from the floor with 20cm matting for the Low bar( so 146cm from the top of the mat). Not sure how this relates to different codes but for FIG you have to apply in writing to raise the bars and it must be because your hips touch the floor when hanging.
Perhaps you should check the bar at your gym, and see if it is within 3cm of the standard (assuming FIG applies). You do not want to be training on a bar that differs significantly to what you must compete on. Although having a bar slightly lower will make competition day feel easier.
Also consider that some small kids do drag their feet on counter swings too. It could be either a technique issue or to do with strength.

Good luck

Just wanted to note that in the US for JO gymnasts, you are not required to use the FIG setting. In fact, almost no one uses FIG. FWIW, I've done straddle backs with the low bar set on FIG, and I have been able to hold my feet up. It sounds more like a technique issue if you're able to do a normal kip on the bar.

I'm going to a new gym in a couple of weeks, and because i was injured, we brought video tapes with of my counters. They have a great bars coach, and he said he would help me to keep my feet up. I have issues with keeping my feet up anyways, but because my pelvis is tipped forewards, i can't do any straight leg raisers. Meaning i can't condition those muscles at all. I haven't done a counter for about a year now, so i'm hoping that i have forgotten all of my bad habits.

Just wanted to note that in the US for JO gymnasts, you are not required to use the FIG setting. In fact, almost no one uses FIG. FWIW, I've done straddle backs with the low bar set on FIG, and I have been able to hold my feet up. It sounds more like a technique issue if you're able to do a normal kip on the bar.

I have wondered this - do they set the low bar higher than FIG? On some youtube videos they look higher than than FIG which is all we have in the UK. I have always wondered that.

At all of the meets that I've been to, most optionals have the low bar and the high bar 1-3 notches above FIG, and the bars are also usually spread wider than FIG.

I don't know if there is a set requirement but our gym has 3 sets one for shorter kids one for med kids and one for taller kids. i know at meets they do keep adjusting the bar hights and how close together the high and low bar are to each other. Our tallest girl has them set fairly high. On average it hits around the nose on most girls.

For L9/10 gymnasts, I'd say that 4 (1 above FIG) is most common, although it's not unheard of to see taller gymnasts on 5.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back