WAG LV 7 floor front tumbling

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mOm2gymnast<3

Coach
Proud Parent
What else can my dd do besides front handspring punch front? For some reason her knee and hip hurts when doing punching forward on floor and right now she's ok just doing front aerial at lv6. However, they do upskills and she's not able to do these forward tumbling passes.

A front tumbling pass is required in level seven. It says it must be two connected front skills where both have flight and one is a salto or aerial.

So maybe a front handspring front aerial?

She will need to keep working toward the punch front though as it becomes a very prevalent part of floor as the levels progress.

Front handspring + front tuck (or pike/layout)
Front tuck + front tuck (or pike/layout)
I suppose she could do a front half, but I've never seen that done in level 7. Still have to punch into it, but the landing would feel a bit different..,

What about an onoidi (sorry if I spelled that wrong) to a layout stepout backwards? Does that not fill the requirements? If it did it would be low impact?

Edit: I realized after posting that an onodi turns the wrong way :D Silly me. Maybe an onodi to a side ariel?

I've been searching up possible combinations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a front still you start facing forwards, no? That's all that you need for a from skill? Some of these use side ariels, but everything has a front start. Anything that isn't completely fronted, I'll not bold.

• Front ariel side ariel
  • Front tuck to AMAZING dive roll with or without twists
  • Front tuck step out to ???? front handspring, roundoff, etc.
  • Front half to back tuck??? I'm not sure this fills the requirements for "front'
  • Front layout to front tuck
  • RO to arabian??? I'm not sure this fills the requirements for "front'
  • Half in to back tuck???I'm not sure this fills the requirements for "front'
  • And of course, whatever this is:
    Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 11.55.32 AM.png

Just kidding :D

Also, I found this handy pdf
from the FIG with lots of front tumbling options.

I have wondered about using a front aerial as the "salto" in the L7 front pass myself - however, after full season of watching L7 meets, I can say that I truly never saw a L7 floor routine w/o a front tuck, pike or layout in it for that requirement. Who knows though - could just be a coincidence.

Seems like I can't edit my message again, but I think the best, low impact pass would be......

Front ariel + front ariel to sit
giphy.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlQh0OGtnxKpDOg/giphy.gif (in case you can't see it here)

Yes, my photoshop skills are amazing ;)

I think this would be best because you'd have no danger of not sticking the landing, and if she has a front ariel this will be a super easy upgrade.

Disclaimer: I've never competed level 7 so check with your coach.

Have you considered having her checked out for the hip/knee? May be an easier fix than finding an alternate tumbling pass... which I'll assume she needs next year? While my DD will have occasional 'normal' aches, if it's persistent, then I usually have her in to have it looked at.

To my knowledge, all of the girls competing L7 at DD's gym are doing front handspring + front salto (some of each: tuck, pike, layout). For L6, there's generally more flexibility with skills. I'd ask coaches to see what they require and suggest for your DD as you look towards L7.

Have you considered having her checked out for the hip/knee? May be an easier fix than finding an alternate tumbling pass... which I'll assume she needs next year? While my DD will have occasional 'normal' aches, if it's persistent, then I usually have her in to have it looked at.

To my knowledge, all of the girls competing L7 at DD's gym are doing front handspring + front salto (some of each: tuck, pike, layout). For L6, there's generally more flexibility with skills. I'd ask coaches to see what they require and suggest for your DD as you look towards L7.

Yes- she had an X-ray done, etc.... doc said for her hip, it's just a pulled muscle and her knee it's Osgoods.

Yes- she had an X-ray done, etc.... doc said for her hip, it's just a pulled muscle and her knee it's Osgoods.

That's good!

Then I'd consider chatting with coaches to see what they suggest. My DD thankfully has avoided Osgood Schlatter's, so I don't have any advice there, other than to ensure coaches are aware and maybe ask them to be empathetic and creative. :) I can't think of any other passes other than what's been mentioned above, but I'm certainly no expert!

Good luck to your DD. Hope her pain improves quickly.

I would say to keep working on front handsprings and front punching skills onto softer landing surfaces. She doesn't need it now, so no sense rushing to hard landings if they cause irritation. But she will need it, so it would be beneficial to keep working on it however she can- Tumbltrak, into pit, trampoline, onto mats, or even just drills for those skills if the hip and knee need a total break from forwards pounding.
Osgood Schlatters is a pain, but it will eventually get more manageable. Follow the protocols given by the doctor and rest as able, a trip to a PT might even be beneficial as there are some stretching/strengthening that can be done to help alleviate some of the pain as well as braces/taping techniques. http://gymnastcare.com/how-to-fix-osgood-schlatters-disease

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back