Coaches lvl 2's getting stuck in pullovers

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

micdda

Coach
This is rec level two, so unfortunately not a lot of time available for conditioning.. These kids can get their hips onto the bar, but their pullovers stop there! they get stuck and will just hang there until someone helps them up! ive never had kids have so much trouble with this! how can i help them learn to "stand up" into a front support?? Grateful for any ideas!

A back pullover has two distinct actions; the curl (core and hip flexors) and extension (core & hip extensors). It sounds like they are missing sensivity for the last action - which is not uncommon. Have them lie down face down (with hip bones atop) across a low beam - and learn to arch up/backward. Then hop to a front support on a big beam and fold over - then arch up/backward back to a support. You've gotta do something that gets them to key into using the back extensor muscles after they have "turned the corner" (the curling side) on the pullover itself.

Then let'em loose on combining the two actions.

I can't remember what we called what Steve was talking about. Generally it was a skill they learned very early on. Something we would even do with 4 and 5yo. Start in front support, fold over the bar (with their legs not going over) and reshift back to the top of the bar.

"Light-switches"

"Motorcycle hands" and push the bar down. The main issue I've run into at that level is most of the kids are young enough to where their head weighs more than the rest of their body so it's just harder, especially if they don't have time to condition.

"they get stuck and will just hang there until someone helps them up!"

I believe that this is the crux of the problem. I have to continually remind my coaches that 'helping is hurting.' The more work you do for them, the less they will have to do, the longer before they get better. It's easy to over spot a skill like that without realizing it because such a little spot from us makes a huge difference. Since it's hard to find time to condition, I let the struggle to get up be the skill specific conditioning. I put a hand above the back of their legs so that when they exert effort they don't lever forward and flip off of the front of the bar. I then give them lots of encouragement, and when I feel they have given it their all and made it as far as they can, I will give them just enough of a spot for them to get it. Follow that with lots of praise, rinse and repeat as long as necessary!

Honestly sometimes it's the simplest thing- I have a couple like this and if I tell them to "look up" as they're trying to come up it helps immensely- helping them get in that proper body position with a simple cue. The other drills mentioned are great also.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back