WAG Made the jump! But ended with broken elbow

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ydd was working on her jump to the high bar at practice the other night. She was getting very frustrated with herself that she kept jumping and missing because all the other girls were making the jump and doing the high bar kip. It was her last turn before they had to rotate to beam, I really didn't think anything of it I thought she was just going to try and jump, but miss the bar. She made the jump and managed to get her finger tips around the bar, but it wasn't enough to keep her on it and she flung forward onto to back and elbow off the bar. She never really cries when she gets hurts, but this time she did so I took her to emergency, they told us that she broke the bone in her left elbow, and a partial dislocation in her shoulder. They told her that she's going to be out for 6 months to 8 months depending the next x-ray after the swelling goes down. She says it doesn't hurt to much and can go to gym tonight and do conditioning but I'm not letting her go for a couple days, she need to rest it. Her next x-Ray is in 2 weeks, let's just hope they say it can be casted, and once it comes off physio.

That is just awful. I am so sorry to hear this. When DD broke her humerus a few years ago, she was never casted, but she had two surgeries and was out for three months. It absolutely stinks.

Oh poor thing!
This is why I am always over cautious when teaching jump to high bar!
Hope she heals quickly and that it hasn't put her off!

:-( So sorry to hear this! My DD (age 7) is training squat on's they jump but have not yet been allowed to go for high bar.

That's my biggest fear for dd. she is doing squat on, jump and of they can reach, they "high 5" the high bar. They aren't allowed to catch yet . Thankfully she hasn't reached it yet.

I'm sorry she got hurt, but I would definitely make sure she goes to someone who specializes in athletes and kids - my older dd broke her elbow when she was younger requiring pins, surgery the whole she-bang, but wasn't out of activities anywhere close to 6 months. Good luck and I hope she feels better quickly!

Oh the poor thing, what a horrible thing to happen. That jump to the high bar is a scary thing and not as easy as it looks.

very sad, :( let her walk in tonight and see everyone if she is up for it, just for a few minutes. she will probably really like that.

Hmm.....that should not have happened.

What your DD did is a hugely common issue when kids first learn to jump to high bar. It takes time to work out the right distance and timing to get the perfect catch. Lots of kids break arms this way.

If a child is attempting to jump to high bar and not catching or not consistently catching the coach should ALWAYS be spotting them. Even if the child has just been instructed to high 5 the bar, so,e will catch by accident and as they were not expecting it there is even a greater likelihood they will slip off.

This skill causes more injuries than any other, coaches need to teach it with vigilance.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back