MAG MAG college bound gymnasts during Coivd 19

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
There was a thread started in the awesome college group, which i felt needed to not be lost.

How will the current covid 19 situation affect your college bound gymnast, or you current college gymnast?

Not sure about college bound like, this fall. It is all going to depend on whether or not they get to start in the fall. I truly just hope they get to have a season.

As for those going thru recruiting now, it is tough! there is nothing to send, no progress, no nationals. It is going to make the recruiting process even more difficult than it already was. PLus, i only hope all the current MAG college programs survive this. :(

Not sure about college bound like, this fall. It is all going to depend on whether or not they get to start in the fall. I truly just hope they get to have a season.

As for those going thru recruiting now, it is tough! there is nothing to send, no progress, no nationals. It is going to make the recruiting process even more difficult than it already was. PLus, i only hope all the current MAG college programs survive this. :(

Exactly this

My son was shooting for a walk on spot at his dream school trying to impress at state, regional, national all canceled. Now everything seems so unknown. He was signed up to do the summer session classes (and this then would allow gymnastics training there) but they moved to online only and of course gym facility closed. So he's still at home and instead he is taking a local community college online course and trying to find a job without any luck. He was working as a life guard and had just quit it a few weeks prior to the lock downs since he would miss many days of work because of last few important travel meets and senior prom/grad/activities. This was all before we really knew the world would drastically change. Could not have even imagined this.

The school did send out the other day that they will be having in person classes and dorms open for fall. I was surprised they determined this so early, of course it could change. Maybe they felt like giving people reassurance or hope, but it doesn't. I'm watching closely the news about what college football does since that is the money maker and could forebode how they will handle the other sports. I at least hope gymnasts get to train even if no competition season. My son even mused how they could do "competitions" virtually against other teams or just having their own intra squads to keep up pressure and goals and feeling of achievement.

It has been so hard for every aspect of this sport no matter the level, all changed- Olympic, college, JO, rec. I really want gym owners, college programs, and boys club gymnastics survive this.

My son was shooting for a walk on spot at his dream school trying to impress at state, regional, national all canceled. Now everything seems so unknown. He was signed up to do the summer session classes (and this then would allow gymnastics training there) but they moved to online only and of course gym facility closed. So he's still at home and instead he is taking a local community college online course and trying to find a job without any luck. He was working as a life guard and had just quit it a few weeks prior to the lock downs since he would miss many days of work because of last few important travel meets and senior prom/grad/activities. This was all before we really knew the world would drastically change. Could not have even imagined this.

The school did send out the other day that they will be having in person classes and dorms open for fall. I was surprised they determined this so early, of course it could change. Maybe they felt like giving people reassurance or hope, but it doesn't. I'm watching closely the news about what college football does since that is the money maker and could forebode how they will handle the other sports. I at least hope gymnasts get to train even if no competition season. My son even mused how they could do "competitions" virtually against other teams or just having their own intra squads to keep up pressure and goals and feeling of achievement.

It has been so hard for every aspect of this sport no matter the level, all changed- Olympic, college, JO, rec. I really want gym owners, college programs, and boys club gymnastics survive this.

I did not realize your son was already graduating! That is tough. I hope things are going well for him.....this is all so tough :(

An update, but still so many unknowns ahead! We dropped my son off to college, met with gym coaches, and he has met the other team guys. First official practice is Monday. He's so excited and in gymnastics heaven! It is great to see him so happy and the biggest smile ever. My son just hopes that they are allowed to continue to train the whole year even if no meets, which hasn't been determined yet. My son had a covid test just to be allowed on campus, and then athletes will be tested regularly. My son is only hanging out with the other team guys and he has his own dorm room, and half his classes are online. I am nervous since other big colleges just closed after opening. I can't imagine going to pick him up, so much has been taken from this senior class, I really hope freshman college year isn't taken away too. I wish you all the best with training and the upcoming season! Say a prayer for men's college gymnastics.

An update, but still so many unknowns ahead! We dropped my son off to college, met with gym coaches, and he has met the other team guys. First official practice is Monday. He's so excited and in gymnastics heaven! It is great to see him so happy and the biggest smile ever. My son just hopes that they are allowed to continue to train the whole year even if no meets, which hasn't been determined yet. My son had a covid test just to be allowed on campus, and then athletes will be tested regularly. My son is only hanging out with the other team guys and he has his own dorm room, and half his classes are online. I am nervous since other big colleges just closed after opening. I can't imagine going to pick him up, so much has been taken from this senior class, I really hope freshman college year isn't taken away too. I wish you all the best with training and the upcoming season! Say a prayer for men's college gymnastics.

How exciting! Where is he going? (you can pm me if you want) Cannot wait to hear more about how it goes!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back