Maggie Nichols Retires from Elite

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gabby and Aly will probably be all done competing before Maggie has her first NCAA meet. I hope she gets fully healthy and has a wonderful college gym career. On the bright side, we all may get to see her dozens more times over the next four years rather than a couple more routines - lucky us! She is one strong kid, hats off to her on her amazing comeback!

Wonder will she try to make a comeback for Tokyo, can she once she announces retirement? Such a pity about her injury. She was a lock in after worlds last year

Wonder will she try to make a comeback for Tokyo, can she once she announces retirement? Such a pity about her injury. She was a lock in after worlds last year
She CAN come out of retirement to go for Tokyo, but I doubt she will. She has admitted that she is "fragile" and injures easily.
-----------------------------------
Plus, elite training is crazy hard.
From the USAG website:
The optimal plan for training elite athletes would be to conduct two workouts per day, six days per week.
The content of the morning workout: 2 - 3 hours duration
  • Endurance and conditioning
  • Vaulting
  • Beam Basics
The content of the afternoon workout 3 - 4 hours duration
  • General Warm-up
  • Basic Acro
  • Bars
  • Beam
  • Floor
  • Short conditioning program
Include full tumbling, flexibility and dance in the afternoon. In addition, a dance professional should conduct a dance session a minimum of two times a week. The sessions should be one hour long and spaced within the week.
----------------------------------
The US has such a depth of talent that coming out of retirement for the chance to make the Tokyo team, she may end up as an "also ran" - one of the girls that they don't even bother showing at all on tv.

I think she will focus on having an amazing college gymnastics career and becoming a fabulous nurse. :)

I hope Maggie can truly appreciate what she accomplished and understand that we all see it, even if it takes some time. She truly left it all out on the floor last weekend and I was astounded at her comeback. But there's nothing else she could have done. It was already so amazing. She has a lot left to offer the sport of gymnastics and has already left her mark. I hope she knows.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back