Make it or Break it

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, I just watched the preview... and I have to say, it definitely has me breathing a little easier. It looks good! Yes, there are some things WE are going to pick out... but the general viewer isn't. I think we have to keep that in mind.

I'm excited for it. :D

I had my doubts about it, but I'll definitely watch it to see how it turns out. I heard that Nicole Anderson (is now in the show JONAS) was used for this, who had some background in gymnastics and was a national champion, so I'll hope to see that.

I do a lot of acting, and when I was shooting one of my commercials I saw a lot of things that had to be tweaked and changed, so I'll be a little more lenient to change :) I understand it's hard to find a lot of gymnasts who do acting, so as long as the girls are good actors it'll be okay :)

It'll take some adjusting to get used to non-gymnasts playing the role, but I'm sure I'll watch it.

just a quick thank you to all of you for your questions and comments and support and concerns. we are so flattered by your interest in our show!

ive had the most questions about casting - casting was very intense because, as i mentioned, acting might look like its easy, but as kayleigh can tell you, its really really hard. we needed girls who could play 16, 17, but were 18-21 (for work rules) who were available when we were shooting the pilot. we looked at all the gymnasts we could find, but of course anyone who is competing couldnt do it, nor could anyone in college (NCAA regulations). it was hard enough for us to find actresses we love, but we found them - all of whom have a lot of dance, and some that have gymnastics. two of our castmembers were level nine gymnasts.

we had a few months after shooting the pilot to see if we would get picked up for series and our girls went right into gymnastics training with our full time gymnastics coordinator, who was a canadian national team member. they work very closely with their doubles, which include olympians, ncaa champions and two gymnastic hall of famers. we've shot five great episodes, and in that time, have encouraged our real gymnasts to start acting training so they can be used as actors as well. we love our actual gymnasts cast members and are thrilled when they are on the set.

i wanted to mention one more thing - some have you have said how excited your little girls are for the show - unfortunately, our show isnt for the little ones. abc family is a millenium network, targeted at women and girls 15-40, and we will have one story line this season that isn't appropriate for the little ones. of course, parents should watch and if they think it is okay, its their call for their child, but we'd really really love for moms (and dads) and daughters to watch this show together because there is some great opportunities for conversation about perfectionism, accepting yourself, sportmanship, etc.

thanks for keeping an open mind. we know you guys are the experts on the sport and not everything will pass muster with you but if you give us a chance i think you will see we're a show with a lot of heart. i created the show because as fun as shows like "gossip girl" are, i really wanted to write about girls that had real dreams and were faced with real challenges meeting them. and i appreciate all your input in this process. all the best, holly

ps - i think there are two threads for this topic? maybe the admins can marry them.

Looks like just another teenage angst show! Probably more about boys, hating parents, school, backstabbing friends, and bulimia :) with some gymnastics thrown in.

I think that will be the case too. And showing the petty nasty gymnast as a "norm" I hope we are wrong because I would love to see somthing positive to do with gymnastics portraied on TV/movies.

just a quick thank you to all of you for your questions and comments and support and concerns. we are so flattered by your interest in our show!

ive had the most questions about casting - casting was very intense because, as i mentioned, acting might look like its easy, but as kayleigh can tell you, its really really hard. we needed girls who could play 16, 17, but were 18-21 (for work rules) who were available when we were shooting the pilot. we looked at all the gymnasts we could find, but of course anyone who is competing couldnt do it, nor could anyone in college (NCAA regulations). it was hard enough for us to find actresses we love, but we found them - all of whom have a lot of dance, and some that have gymnastics. two of our castmembers were level nine gymnasts.

we had a few months after shooting the pilot to see if we would get picked up for series and our girls went right into gymnastics training with our full time gymnastics coordinator, who was a canadian national team member. they work very closely with their doubles, which include olympians, ncaa champions and two gymnastic hall of famers. we've shot five great episodes, and in that time, have encouraged our real gymnasts to start acting training so they can be used as actors as well. we love our actual gymnasts cast members and are thrilled when they are on the set.

i wanted to mention one more thing - some have you have said how excited your little girls are for the show - unfortunately, our show isnt for the little ones. abc family is a millenium network, targeted at women and girls 15-40, and we will have one story line this season that isn't appropriate for the little ones. of course, parents should watch and if they think it is okay, its their call for their child, but we'd really really love for moms (and dads) and daughters to watch this show together because there is some great opportunities for conversation about perfectionism, accepting yourself, sportmanship, etc.

thanks for keeping an open mind. we know you guys are the experts on the sport and not everything will pass muster with you but if you give us a chance i think you will see we're a show with a lot of heart. i created the show because as fun as shows like "gossip girl" are, i really wanted to write about girls that had real dreams and were faced with real challenges meeting them. and i appreciate all your input in this process. all the best, holly

ps - i think there are two threads for this topic? maybe the admins can marry them.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket Holly, and best of luck with the show. My 12 year old and I were talking about it last night when we saw the add on our Canuck feed. She said she wants to watch it with me which is great to have her want to do anything with me.

I can imagine it is incredibly hard to create a show with mass appeal that deals with one specific sport.

Perhaps when the show has been on for a few weeks we could try to do some kind of interview with you and/or the main characteres? It would be fun for the members here to connect with the show and it would be easy to write up some leading interview questions. Let me know if you would be into the concept. You can PM me if you'd like.

i wanted to mention one more thing - some have you have said how excited your little girls are for the show - unfortunately, our show isnt for the little ones.

I think this is really, really, sad, especially considering the sheer number of gymnasts who are little girls. There are so many 7-10 year old gymnasts out there who are probably really looking forward to finally having a show about what they do. It's really disappointing that I have to tell my daughter (she's 7) that she can't watch the "gymnastics show." And if she can't watch it, I don't really see much point in my watching it. I was looking forward to watching it with her but it doesn't sound like something I'd like as an adult.

If you really want something worthwhile to watch ...

I think this is really, really, sad, especially considering the sheer number of gymnasts who are little girls. There are so many 7-10 year old gymnasts out there who are probably really looking forward to finally having a show about what they do. It's really disappointing that I have to tell my daughter (she's 7) that she can't watch the "gymnastics show."
Seriously, if you have a young gymnast, the best thing that you could have her watch is a college gymnastics meet. I know that the season is over, but think about it beginning next January. If you happen to have a college team nearby (which is problematic because most schools don't have gymnastics, especially Texas and Florida, power gym states which only have one program each) many schools either charge nothing (e.g., Stanford, Yale) or a nominal entrance fee. The team atmosphere is a really positive reinforcement of the joy of gymnastics, and I don't think that that it is ever too early to start getting your kids to think about college.

What is it rated? My mom is really picky on what I watch, so I have to know if it is okay. I love gymnastics and I'm am really looking forward to seeing it unless it is not age appropriate.

Seriously, if you have a young gymnast, the best thing that you could have her watch is a college gymnastics meet. I know that the season is over, but think about it beginning next January. If you happen to have a college team nearby (which is problematic because most schools don't have gymnastics, especially Texas and Florida, power gym states which only have one program each) many schools either charge nothing (e.g., Stanford, Yale) or a nominal entrance fee. The team atmosphere is a really positive reinforcement of the joy of gymnastics, and I don't think that that it is ever too early to start getting your kids to think about college.

LOL... thanks for the tip. We're covered. We live very close to UGA and are Gym Dogs season ticket holders. My DD has known for the better part of a year that she wants to be a Gym Dog. LOL!

Welcome to the Chalkbucket Holly, and best of luck with the show. My 12 year old and I were talking about it last night when we saw the add on our Canuck feed. She said she wants to watch it with me which is great to have her want to do anything with me.

I can imagine it is incredibly hard to create a show with mass appeal that deals with one specific sport.

Perhaps when the show has been on for a few weeks we could try to do some kind of interview with you and/or the main characteres? It would be fun for the members here to connect with the show and it would be easy to write up some leading interview questions. Let me know if you would be into the concept. You can PM me if you'd like.

Hey how about a forum set up where the cast members and production staff could connect with gymnasts, parents, coaches etc?

Hey how about a forum set up where the cast members and production staff could connect with gymnasts, parents, coaches etc?

Can't do that here I'm afraid, but if I can make the interview happen I will be asking for input from parents and gymmies. You will probably get more detailed info when you don't have a ton of early teens doing the msn omg ttly every two lines!:D

Link to 10 minute preview, haven't watched it yet. I imagine my 10 year old will watch with us, she is the third child with the oldest being an almost 17 year old boy and we are very open about all things so I cannot imagine any issue will come up that she doesn't know about. Hopefully there are no guns and knives!!! LOL

My dd, who will be 13 in September, will be watching it as will I. I don't know if we will get the chance to watch it together all the time, due to her training schedule and the fact that my dh and ds will not want to watch, but we both will be watching. ;)

She's old enough to separate the drama from the gym. Hey, if she watch the Secret Life of an American Teenager - how worse off can the story line be (drama/storyline-wise. :eek:)

Link to 10 minute preview, haven't watched it yet. I imagine my 10 year old will watch with us, she is the third child with the oldest being an almost 17 year old boy and we are very open about all things so I cannot imagine any issue will come up that she doesn't know about. Hopefully there are no guns and knives!!! LOL

I've seen the preview. For a teen drama it looks like it will be ok and Teens are gonig to go for it like the American Teen show. As for the story lines well my 12yo daughter who was 11 when americn Teen started watched that and loved it. If she can handle teen sex and pregnancey as a story line I can't imagine what other story line would be worse that it would be inappropriate for younger girls.

From a gymnastic stand point well......

Lets see I know these are done to advance the storyline but....

*You have 2 girls leaving the floor one going to parents in the stands and one going to a parent in the office - Would NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER happen in real life as it is against the very strict rules and every gymnast and parent knows this.

* the leotards well they are nice but I don't think I've ever seen a team compete all in different Leos - maybe somewhere in the country this happens but I've never seen it in my area. If they are a team i would think they would have all the same leos AND they would be skin tight. Some of the ones we see are a bit saggy and ill fitting no gym I know of has team uniforms that are saggy in anyway.

* I also don't know of any gymnast no matter how vengful would change a vault table hight. And any elite gymnast vaulting that I've seen would notice a 5 inch height difference and double check their equipment. I Know my DD at L7 knows exactly what her vault settin is and can look at the table and know the difference between one vault setting and another before she vaults especially a 5 inch difference. I know they also show a clip board with all the vault settings for the gymnasts but every coach i know of who works with their gymnasts know just by looking at the gymnast what her vault setting always is.

Just my opinion here.

Holly,

Thanks for coming onto CB and talking with us about the new show! I plan to watch this with my dd (she will turn 11 in Jan). She watches some of the Nick Teen shows and I think she is emotionally mature enough to handle this type of show. She has already been through the "girl drama" both in school and at the gym regarding jealosy, back-stabbing and just run of the mill "mean girls" so if this show has this type of drama, it will be good for dd to watch it and more importantly watch the outcome and how this drama is resolved. I think that this type of show will be good for the "tween age set" to watch WITH parents just so that we can interject our own opinions and clarify some things if our dds have questions.

Last edited:
I know they also show a clip board with all the vault settings for the gymnasts but every coach i know of who works with their gymnasts know just by looking at the gymnast what her vault setting always is.

I completely agree. Our vault coach has a "cheat sheet" just in case, but she still pretty much knows everyone's settings by heart.

However, I am excited to at least check this show out and I hope that it will be good. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back