Off Topic Making my first Leotard. Help & inspiration needed :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lovelything

Coach
Gymnast
I'm about to embark on a little project making my own leotard. I just wondered if anyone had any tips or potential problems I might come across. It would be great to see any pictures of leotards you guys have made to help reassure me it's not as hard as I think :)

I'm wanting to start making them for my DD too...

That link takes to 'how hard is the transition' .... I don't know how to search yet but I'd be interested in that leotard making group.

I'm wanting to start making them for my DD too...

That link takes to 'how hard is the transition' .... I don't know how to search yet but I'd be interested in that leotard making group.

I do not understand, it takes me right to the group.

I would be interested in joining the group as well. I like the create kids couture pattern for leotards it was really simple and I even embroidered the top of one I did for my DD.

Hey!! I know you ;)

Come and talk to me at comp today, I have many tips! In fact, I have my second commission coming at me :)

Reactions: COz
Thanks for all you interest guys, whilst the group is more than happy to accept new members we do share photos of work/gymnasts etc which can make members very identifiable.

We therefore require new members to have a proven posting history on the main boards, or be known to an active member IRL before membership will be accepted and non-active members will be deleted (but are always welcome to re-apply)

Hope that clears it up

'Margo

Okies understandable.....I'm a long time lurker, recent poster & I've not even got my new sewing machine yet (fingers crossed I can pay the balance off in July ) and then get started properly, so hopefully I'll have posted more by then too.

Thanks for understanding.

By the way, to address your original enquiry:

If you haven't used a sewing machine before, get to know it first before starting your leotard. YouTube will probably help with this,
Make sure you can sew a seam to join two pieces of material together both straight and along a curve.
Learn how to change to a zig zag stitch and figure out if your machine has a stretch stitch or not. If not, you can sew leotard seams on your narrowest zigzag setting.

Have a look at Jalie.com for patterns. They also have some videos to show you how to assemble things.

Good luck!

I went to college last year and did two courses 'sewing basics' followed by 'garment making' I've got a v old machine at the moment which is pretty unreliable but I've got a lovely one reserved in my local shop and the day I pay off the balance she gives me a half day lesson on using it . Thanks for the link to look at for patterns.

Thanks for all you interest guys, whilst the group is more than happy to accept new members we do share photos of work/gymnasts etc which can make members very identifiable.

We therefore require new members to have a proven posting history on the main boards, or be known to an active member IRL before membership will be accepted and non-active members will be deleted (but are always welcome to re-apply)

Hope that clears it up

'Margo

I was deleted from the group, but was wondering how I can be re added. Do I need to post more?

Thanks for understanding.

By the way, to address your original enquiry:

If you haven't used a sewing machine before, get to know it first before starting your leotard. YouTube will probably help with this,
Make sure you can sew a seam to join two pieces of material together both straight and along a curve.
Learn how to change to a zig zag stitch and figure out if your machine has a stretch stitch or not. If not, you can sew leotard seams on your narrowest zigzag setting.

Have a look at Jalie.com for patterns. They also have some videos to show you how to assemble things.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help! I'm looking forward to having a go and I'm trying to decide what sewing machine to buy to make it easy for myself. I shall make sure it has a stretch stitch facility.

Reactions: COz
...I shall make sure it has a stretch stitch facility.
It's not necessary, I just figure if it's there you might want to use it.
I have a cheapie Singer from Aldi with only basic stitches and it does the job fine.
All you need is a straight stitch and an adjustable zigzag and you're set.

@CAGymmie , the group members talked about it and and people who hadn't been active in the group and who we didn't really 'know' were removed.
It's not about the number of posts, it's about us feeling like we know you. That will happen gradually as you interact with more people on CB.
People who participated in discussions about sewing, not just a couple of comments stayed in the group.

In the meantime, people will still answer sewing questions out here, the group is for us to share things more privately, and that only works if we are sharing with people that we 'know'.

You're welcome to reapply at a later date when we know you better. One of the group moderators will probably chime in if I have missed anything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back