making the switch.. prep op to levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This year was the first year i have competed, and I was a prep op novice (equivalent to level 4/5 USAG). I am 13, almost 14, so that's why i went with prep op in the first place. But I want to do levels (if that's not what they're called, i have no idea what else to call them.), but how would i go about with the switch from prep op to level 5? do i just talk to the level 5 coach? she's seen me in practice and knows what i can do. I can do everything a level 5 can do, and more on floor and bars, but the one thing stopping me is my kip. should i go for level 5 or 6? all these changes for moving levels down due to 8b are confusing me too. :confused:

THANKS GUYS, i really appreciate it. :)

ask your coach.:)

Is this another example of that tongue in cheek coach humor you mentioned in another thread? I thought this place was here for people to ask questions and receive information????? If the answer is just going to be "ask your coach", this place doesn't seem like it would be very valuable in terms of learning and information gathering.

Besides, I was under the impression that a lot of you coaches don't like it when people, especially parents, ask you questions about levels. So what's a person to do???? :confused:

I agree with dunno. Different gyms handle prep-op/usag in different ways and may have specific rules and requirements regarding competing USAG v. Prep-op. Some gyms use prep-op as a recreational league and others use it in within their USAG program (use it to skip level 6 and move on to optionals to give an example). It would be best for her to address this with her HC and reading this post, I assume she is a gymnast. To the OP, sounds like you know what you need to do. I'd find out what their requirements are to compete USAG and see if they would allow you to move over. Good luck!

I agree with Dunno.

We don't know your skills and haven't seen you in competion. Every state has different rules for PrepOp/Excel program so its hard to give advice on moving from the Prep Op Program to the Junior Olympic (JO) program. Yes they are both gymnastics but they are different programs and the requirements are different. Every gym is different on how they handle Prep Op and how they use the program in their gyms.

The only ones with the right info to your question will be the coach of the gym you want to be at so to say go ask your coach is really the best answer anyone could possibly give to you. They will know you and your skills and will be the best ones to advise you on what needs to be done or if you are better off in the PrepOp program or if the change to JO would be a good choice for you.

At 13 - 14 I would say stay in prep op as most your age in JO program are in the optional levels (L7 - L10), usually L5 has more younger girls, in my area on average 7-9yo. Very few 13+ in those levels. But if you don't mind possibly bing the oldest at the competition at that level then go for it. Another issue to look at is many gyms don't have girls that age at those levels and won't let you start at your age. There are just so many factors so asking your coach and discussing this with them is your best course of action.

You will want to talk to your parents too because the JO program usually means alot more hours at the gym, alot more days, and alot more money. If they aren't on board with this then there is no reason to persue it.

Is this another example of that tongue in cheek coach humor you mentioned in another thread? I thought this place was here for people to ask questions and receive information????? If the answer is just going to be "ask your coach", this place doesn't seem like it would be very valuable in terms of learning and information gathering.

Besides, I was under the impression that a lot of you coaches don't like it when people, especially parents, ask you questions about levels. So what's a person to do???? :confused:

Sometimes Dunno's single line answers can be really irritating to the original poster who wants more info, but they are almost always correct and frankly, if you stay here long enough, you'll learn to appreciate Dunno's brevity.

Take this question for example - over the next few days there will be several people who will reply and I guarantee that at least 85% will say "ask your coach" - they'll just do it with a lot more words. (including me)... Dunno cuts through all that and just gives to you straight...

Bl1ndd: Seriously, talk to your coach and let him/her know you want to compete JO (that's the name of the levels program). It can't hurt to ask. If you are going to move over, you won't be able to go to L6 until you successfully compete L5 - including a good kip.

At our gym, you can't go to 5 at all without a kip on the high and low bar. It does not matter rather you have all the other skills. The kip is the deal breaker.

i'll talk to her (my coach) at one of the next practices. and yes, i understand you haven't seen me compete and don't know much about my skills, but thanks for answering most of my questions. another question gymgal has me wondering is: do i have to compete level 4 too? because if i do, i'll just wait a couple years and go with something i found in the USAG guidelines or whatever. it said that if i had level 7 skills and was a freshman (i will be), i could skip to level 7. so i could just do that a couple years from now. ignore what i just said if i confused you, haha sorry!

but yes, my mom does know about the extra practice (which i would LOVE) and costs. so that's taken care of.:)

EDIT: i'm working on my kip right now, so i'd have more experience with it/HOPEFULLY have it by meet season. aka september. then i'd be all set for level 5.

Ask your coaches. :) They will best be able to guide you. I think at your age you need to sit with the coaches and your parents and map out your gymnastics goals. Ask yourself, where do I want gymnastics to take me and how do I achieve that goal-collge gymnastics, regionals, etc?

Besides, I was under the impression that a lot of you coaches don't like it when people, especially parents, ask you questions

about levels. So what's a person to do???? :confused:

like i said, you have to be around here awhile. some of these questions in their context can ONLY be answered by their coaches. PM Bog and she'll explain.:)

another question gymgal has me wondering is: do i have to compete level 4 too? because if i do, i'll just wait a couple years and go with something i found in the USAG guidelines or whatever. it said that if i had level 7 skills and was a freshman (i will be), i could skip to level 7.

No, you don't have to compete level 4. Only 5 and up is required. I don't recall ever seeing what you are talking about with L7 and high school but it may be something I skipped over because it doesn't pertain to my daughter. But also remember that competing a certain level doesn't necessarily mean compete the whole season. You could compete one meet, get the mobility score and then compete the next level at the next meet - if your coach felt you were ready to move up the levels.

This year L4 isn't required - many gyms don't even compete L4
As gymgal said you do have to do L5 and up but you only have to get the mobility score to go to the next level (and have the skills for the next level).

With the changes coming in Fall 2013 who knows what will be required. I haven't seen any of the new rules and I think we will have a year that will be a guinea pig year as to what will be what. L5 this year will be L4 next year

I am fifteen and in level 5, and there are a few other level fives that I know who are 13 and 14. You will be one of the oldest, but it's worth it to experience the fun off gymnastics and competitions. The only thing that sometimes bothers me is when your judging group is very small, and you do not have much competition.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back