Management jobs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Billy

Can anyone tell me how to find administrative/ management jobs at a gym? I am GREAT at office/ administrative skills like organizing, paperwork (ie. meet registrations, etc) and stuff like web content and newsletters. But I haven't been able to find these kinds of positions. I have searched online, including the classified ads on USAG, but the only ads I can find are for coaches and I am definitely not coach material. Any suggestions on where else to look?

sounds like an office/ office manager position! Usually the meet entries, etc and that type of organization is handeled by head coach or a parent rep.

The bigger the gym the more need for an office manager- you might just need to strt at the bottom and work you way up!

sounds like an office/ office manager position! Usually the meet entries, etc and that type of organization is handeled by head coach or a parent rep.

The bigger the gym the more need for an office manager- you might just need to strt at the bottom and work you way up!

I can do that. Do you mean just being a parent volunteer or what?

Hi,
Im just thinking starting working in a gym's office, then showing how good you are at the administration thing, and maybe it will bloom into an office managers position!
Good luck!

Hi,
Im just thinking starting working in a gym's office, then showing how good you are at the administration thing, and maybe it will bloom into an office managers position!
Good luck!

I don't have a problem with that. But, I haven't been able to find ANY gym jobs at all, except for coaching.

Shawn,

Would you consider writing out a resume highlighting your skills and sending it with a cover letter to the gyms in your area that you would consider working at. Some jobs just never get advertised and also if you don't get your name out there people won't kow that you are looking.

Just a thought.

Bog

That's a great idea. Thanks for the tip, Bog.

One question, though. Do you guys think it would be a problem working for one gym while DD trains at another?

Absolutley not, I work for one dentist and my husband has another practice in the same office.

I do remedial work in the local school and my kids attend another one, it's all good.

It's all about networking, 80% of jobs are not posted anywhere. Make personal business cards with your contact information (you can order them online or at a place like Kinkos). Next, talk about what your looking for to EVERYONE you know. If there are any professional organzations in your area relating to management or gyms attend a meeting as a guest and network there.

I am one of three moms at our gym who do things like that. Our gym is 2 years old and has really taken off this year so the coaches/owners have created office positions for this type of stuff so that they can concentrate on coaching.

Barb

I think many gym owners may balk at the idea of hiring an office manager whose child goes elsewhere if they are on team somewhere else. If you have a rec kid just taking classes somewhere because it's near your house I don't think that'd be a problem.

I think many gym owners may balk at the idea of hiring an office manager whose child goes elsewhere if they are on team somewhere else. If you have a rec kid just taking classes somewhere because it's near your house I don't think that'd be a problem.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking, too. And my DD is on team so it may be a problem.

Hey Shawn, all gyms are different. At 1 gym our gymmie went to, they would not allow the mom to work at the same gym her daughter competed for. At another gym, they only wanted office help who's kids were on team at that gym

That's a great idea. Thanks for the tip, Bog.

One question, though. Do you guys think it would be a problem working for one gym while DD trains at another?

Yes, that would be a problem in most places. The customers at the gym you're working at would wonder why the gym wasn't "good enough" for you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back