Marinich

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geoffrey Taucer

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Gymnast
This is more for my own curiosity than for coaching purposes, but can somebody explain to me how this is physically possible? How would one go about learning this skill?

It doesn't seem particularly useful; I don't think I'd ever bother teaching it or putting it in a routine, but it does look like a lot of fun.

They're really not that hard to throw...I always had a problem trying to roll out smoothly. Not too much room for error in this trick either. I wouldn't throw this on an off day.:dizzy:

I worked it into a pit off a mini tramp first. Then off the floor into the pit. Next into the pit with a mat on top of the foam. Then off the tumble track. The off the tumble track up to 8 or 16" of mats. Then off a spring board onto a floor level resi. Then without the springboard. You get the idea.

[youtube]p8lUViKgc0M[/youtube]

It is a "C" tucked and a "D" like shown in the video.

Attachments

• marinich.png
    marinich.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
I tried a few into the pit yesterday and couldn't get nearly enough height to finish the rotation.

Practice lots of front handsprings up to an elevated surface.

The first person to perform the Marinitch...

The first gymnast to perform the Marinitch on floor was actually Sergei Sizonhov...Sergei is now the National Performance Coach for Great Britain. Fantastic coach, and a great gymnast as well.

Yeah, I think that, as JBS said, the trick to teaching (and learning) this is doing lots and lots of handsprings to an elevated surface, finishing in an open (read: slightly arched) position, much like how you might teach a front-front on vault using elevated mats. I would probably tend to stay away from doing it into a pit, because doing that doesn't really teach the right thing (namely, an early pop or push off the floor to have enough height to do the skill). Strong heel drive on the step into and throughout the handspring is really important.

these r alot of fun i had one in my routine when i was younger there even more fun to throw rather than to just watch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back