WAG Mary Lee Tracy Named New Elite Development Coordinator

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I read a blog recently from a former elite at her gym discussing severe diet restrictions and referring to the medical scale in her office behond a group of gymnasts. I can’t remember who wrote it. I hope she’s changed.

She's the one in the comments on an article about the ranch saying it wasn't luxury but it was a great learning experience, and totally backing up Kelli Hill.

Alyssa Beckerman Posted a picture of herself + others in MLT's office at CGA and mentioned the scale in the background.

Dominique Mocheanu - Remember when MLT used to make us strip down into our leotards and weigh us in front of each other (with the entire team standing in front of her office desk), and then she'd call our weight out loudly so everyone could hear? I was the heaviest at the time struggling to gain my self-confidence back and working so hard to lose weight so Bela wouldn't yell at me for being fat at camp.

Obviously that's old stuff, but her comments after the Nasser thing broke were a total dumpster fire that didn't make me think she was much different now.

Are you being serious or sarcastic?
If this was aimed at me I was being serious, I posted this unaware of the statements that she had made in the past. Trust me, I have been well schooled and informed all over social media. I'm still of the mindset though that hopefully people can change and learn from their past mistakes. I can't imagine her trying to pull anything like weighing girls, calling them names, etc...in this day and age with every single parent (and hopefully coach) watching everything that USAG does like a hawk.

Like, I know basically everyone in USAG has a past. Tom has a less than stellar track record, but nothing recent, and by all accounts he is doing a great job.

But MLT was doing this crap like, last month. Kelli Hill was outright defending USAG and calling the former elites liars, and MLT was coming along right behind her saying "I totally agree, Kelli" and "Thanks Kelli for putting it so well!" And that's AFTER defending Nasser and saying he couldn't have done it.... I just...WOW. A slap in the face is right.

The truth is, the girls seemed to like Rhonda and she was a casualty of the fact that she didn't report the abuse to the police, only her boss, right? So they let her go and are replacing her with a Nasser apologist whose former elites talk about how miserable they were and how many eating disorders came out of their gym...Of these two choices Rhonda seems far and away the better one...wish they'd thought that through a bit more. :(

Ah, got it.

I just don’t know what they were thinking with this hire. Even if she has changed (and I hope she has), this is just bad optics and a PR nightmare that USAG really doesn’t need to add to their plate right now. She has a history of defending Nassar, body shaming, weighing girls and humiliating them about the results, pushing religion on her gymnasts, injury mismanagement, playing favorites, shaming/discrediting/minimizing victims on social media, etc. I hope things have changed but she is definitely from the old guard and it’s just not a good look, you know?

If this was aimed at me I was being serious, I posted this unaware of the statements that she had made in the past. Trust me, I have been well schooled and informed all over social media. I'm still of the mindset though that hopefully people can change and learn from their past mistakes. I can't imagine her trying to pull anything like weighing girls, calling them names, etc...in this day and age with every single parent (and hopefully coach) watching everything that USAG does like a hawk.

Yes, I was asking you... I honestly couldn’t tell. Thanks for explaining your thoughts.

But doesn't the highest profile program in the organization deserve to have leadership from someone better than a person who we are hoping has learned from the past and who will need to be watched like a hawk? I mean, it's one thing not to rush to judgment against someone because that person was slow to abandon Nassar or previously behaved in ways that we now recognize are damaging to athletes, but it's quite another to put someone like that in charge of a very visible, high performance program.

I'm not a coach or an insider, but this looks to me like yet another serious, self-inflicted wound on the part of USAG. It's astonishing to me that absolutely no institutional learning appears to be occurring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back