Parents Maybe a dumb question...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

...but do boys and girls compete at the same meets or are they separate? I know they don't compete against each other but do they have male and female events at the same meet?

Dumb Answer: I have never seen boys of the same level at meets with my girls. It's dumb because I don't know if that was circumstance or if it's officially verboten!

The meets that I've seen that include boys & girls teams have different sessions for the b/g. I've never seen them competing at the same time but I only have limited experience. Our boys team has only been with us about 8 months.

I have seen boys compete at Gasparilla Meet and we host a meet the Sports Fest,which at gasparilla when we went the floor had 3 different events going at the same time were you also had boys and rythmic going on also but the tropicana field is pretty large.The one we host the sports fest consists off many different sports gymnastics, karate,cheerleeding,tramp,boys ,dance and more in a large arena I beleive there is 3-4 events going on the same time .I always like going to these and watch some other events also.

Last edited:
There are develomental meets here where they compete at the same time. Also our Provincials has Rythmic, T&T, WAG and MAG all at the same time in one huge facility.

We do a meet in WI put on by Salto Gymnastics that is boyos and girls. It is held at this great venue with a cat walk you can observe the meet from. Boys ar on one side girls onthe other.

Also MN is getting few like Peermint Twist in Decc and Northern Lights this year in February both put on by TCT Gymnastics.

So I think if the venue is big enough to accomodate both they do it to raise more $$ to pay expenses. Big venues also come with big proce tags.

Our boys team is going ut of town with us this year for the Salto meet. Should be fun except for the fact lots of the kids are getting to be teenagers. That should be interesting.:confused: These kids have been in the gym together for years some of them and are great friends. There is a dance so they shoud all have fun I'm sure.

Sorry for the long post:eek:

Yes... there are several meets in Virginia where boys and girls compete at the same time. Differing levels, different sections of the floor, etc. It really makes for an interesting meet!!! It's fun to watch something that you don't get to normally see... and some of the upper level boys are fascinating!

-L

I have not been to any meets that had both boys and girls competing. Here, I believe that boys compete during the same (spring) season as optionals. All the meets that we have been to have been compulsory only, so maybe they do compete together at some meets.

We had a boy at our gym that was level 8, and he was amazing:)! He did these push ups without his feet touching the ground, they were straight out behind him:eek:! I am sure there is a name for that, but I don't know it! He took 1st place at regionals a couple years ago, and then quit:( - too bad.

Girls compulsories run during the fall and are usually finished by December....The Boys compulsories run from Dec to April along with the Girls optionals....

Most gyms, the compulsories are switching levels during the spring and sometimes don't compete during these meets like Gasparilla.
But some gyms do compete ...It just depends....

Most gymnastics meets are for girls....there are less for boys....most boys meets need to invite girls too just because it wouldn't make sense from a cost point.
For example, girls compulsory state meets usually take place on different meets different weekends TONS of competitors...Boys State meet takes place one weekend all levels...I am in Florida so take this into account.

Hope this helps:)

Around here, most of the big invitationals in the spring are boys and girls. The ones we do usually have two set ups with simultaneous sessions, so there are often boys and girls competing at the same time. Theses meets have compulsory sessions too. This gives the boys' parents the opportunity they would otherwise miss to hear the same compulsory music over and over again. ;)

Same here in Virginia... the compulsory and optional season runs from fall to late spring... so there are boys and girls meets running at the same time.

Last edited:
We have been to several big invitationals that have boys and girls meets going on at the same time. Kind of weird to watch a girl on beam and a boy on rings at the same time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back