maybe it IS time to quit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

"wow that is really terrible.... did they yell at her for switching to artistic gymnastics or for being "too old" for level 4?"

They thought that she was to good to be a L4. She is very talented and made huge progress as her L4 season progressed. It was a real loss to our program. I have a question for all of you.

Do you think it is appropriate for a gymnast to respond to a parent who has made derogatory comments? I can say with certainty that if a parent made a nasty comment to my daughter, it would be the parent who would be in tears and I would support her to my fullest capability. She wouldn't take that kind of garbage from anyone, and neither should any of you. While it is important to be respectful, you have every right to defend yourself from any unwanted malicious attack from a psycho parent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think it is appropriate for a gymnast to respond to a parent who has made derogatory comments? I can say with certainty that if a parent made a nasty comment to my daughter, it would be the parent who would be in tears and I would support her to my fullest capability. She wouldn't take that kind of garbage from anyone, and neither should any of you. While it is important to be respectful, you have every right to defend yourself from any unwanted malicious attack from a psycho parent.
Well said Team Dad, and its true even parents can say some mean things sometimes but you cant let that bother you. To become a good gymnist everyone takes their share of falls, and even though sometimes those falls are worse then others you need to get up and keep trying. And once you can block those voices out of your head and keep trying then you will have truly put yourself on the path to greatness.

"wow that is really terrible.... did they yell at her for switching to artistic gymnastics or for being "too old" for level 4?"

They thought that she was to good to be a L4. She is very talented and made huge progress as her L4 season progressed. It was a real loss to our program. I have a question for all of you.

I absolutely think the gymnast has a right to defend themselves, respectfully of course. I know my parents would unconditionally back me up in a situation like that.

As I said in a previous post here, I think next time a parent does that to Rachelle she should ask them if they could do better. But as for the situation TeamDad described, which falls into maliciousness instead of mere taunting, I would get my parents or coach immediately and "have those parents dealt with". My mom once defended me from a somewhat malicious soccer teammate's mom when I was about 6 years old, and when my coach flatly refused to get involved, mom yanked me off the team. I was glad she did too because I hated that team and I was too afraid to say it, but I found another, much better, club team after that.

I think they may defend themselves but they shouldn't have to. Not all children have the personality to do so.

If you witness such behavior I think anyone should feel free contact the owner or meet director of the facility or event immediately or as soon as possible. If that is not possible don't hesistate to inform them after the fact, as well as any coaches or the child's parent. Behavior such as you described is unacceptable at the meet and should be unacceptable under any individual team's policy. People may be asked to leave the premises and the child should be informed by the appropriate sources (parents, coaches) that these adults are incorrect and it is none of their business. This is a community where everyone is on their own honor to behave with respect and integrity and I know of many gyms who would (and in fact, have had to) dismiss families from their team program for such behavior at a gymnastics-related event. People need to understand this is taken extremely seriously.

It is no one's job but the coach, parents of the child, and the gymnast to decide what level is appropriate for her to participate at, provided they are within bounds of the rules set forth by USA Gymnastics. It is not considered acceptable meet behavior for parents to make comments to or about other gymnasts, coaches, or judges and I can assure everyone that as you move up the levels and there are no longer a million participants, you WILL gain a reputation with people you barely even know if you continually fail to conform to acceptable standards of meet behavior.

Remember that no matter what your decision, it's not final. You make the best decision for you at this point in your life and if later in life going back is the best thing for you, that's what you do. I took about five years off from the sport and am now back just playing around and judging and coaching. I'll never be that good, but I'm having a great time.

"I think they may defend themselves but they shouldn't have to. Not all children have the personality to do so."

All a gymnast needs to say is "I'm really not comfortable with the way you are talking to me. If there is a problem, please discuss it with my parents."

"If you witness such behavior I think anyone should feel free contact the owner or meet director of the facility or event immediately or as soon as possible."

That is exactly what happened. Regardless, the gymnast quit.

In the case that the OP mentions, the pack/gang mentality of the parents making comments and laughing it up is inexcusable.

" i had a few mean remark from the other parents saying "ur such a drama queen" and "are you over your melt down??" and they kept laughing at me
and after that night i realized how far im behind"

I'd like to address this specifically. My dd is also a slow starter. It takes her longer to get skills than it does other gymnasts. Last season, at her first L5 meet, she was having a bad day. She ran as fast as she could straight into the vault table. She stomped her foot and started to get real upset. My wife got up from her seat, walked down to the floor and seeing that no-one was addressing this behavior walked onto the floor and took dd by the hand to a private place to discuss it.

She basically told her to do the best she could and that this behavior is not acceptable and she needs to act professionally as she is also representing her team. It was still her worst meet ever and according to her, "the worst day of her life".

Rachelle, I'm not sure what your season is, but just remember that some kids get skills faster than others. It's a long season and how you are doing by the end is what is really important.

In our case, each meet was a little better and dd finished the season strong. Everyone has an off day and it can be emotional, but if you keep working hard you will be where you need to be in your own time.

Hang in there, gymnastics is a tough sport and it takes alot of courage to get up in front of the judges and perform perfectly. There are alot of kids who could not even get to the competition level. I agree with gymdog talk to the owner and coaches about the other parents behavior it is unacceptable. The other parents should be upset that you were upset and encouraging you not making things worse for you. I am appalled that more than one parent is acting this way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back