Parents Maybe we need a little roll call

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd is 9 years old and is currently training level 8/9. She will be competing level 8 in December. I have 3 other children who are in cheer, baseball and swimming.

I have coached gymnastics for over 20 years (during college, law school, and as a fun activity once I had a full time job..) but this is my first year as a parent of a team gymnast. My dd is 8 and is just starting level 4. So far I am not sure how well I am handling the transition...three weeks into the summer and I just remembered that she now has a mail box I should be checking every practice. I do not usually coach her team, which is good because according to dd I am not nearly as fun as the level 4 coaches! So far she seems to enjoy it and on the positive side it gives me an excuse to coach 3 nights a week instead of 2.

Mom of DD, age 7, first comp season this fall as L4, going into 2nd grade...she is a fearless, unpredictable little gymmie and we love her to pieces (when she's sleeping;)).

I'm a mom to two DDs (20 and 18) and a DS (I actually had to do math on this one... but 33). I also have a DGD (9). I'm a special ed teacher and ski bum and instructor. My oldest DD has been involved in gym since she was 3, went through L 10 and had to pass up elite training for family issues. She's the one who brought me to CB and is fairly active. Younger DD lives for dancing and just moved out on her own, forgoing college to be a studio company dancer for our state's ballet. Mixed feelings there. DS played a few sports like cross country and tennis but now spends his time working in politics. My DGD is just starting her gym journey with the help of my oldest DD. She's L 5 and loving it so far. Never expected to be sucked into this crazy gym journey when I enrolled DD in hot shots classes for social and physical development. Now I'm in it for multi-generations! Welcome all the new gym moms, just remember that taking a walk outside the gym in the fresh air away from the craziness inside the gym can be good for you (literally and figuratively)!

I'm a newbie too. DD just turned 6, has been taking rec classes since 3 1/2. DS is 9 and is active in scouts and starting golf.
DD was asked to join the pre-team class last month, which caught us off guard. We didn't expect or desire for her to do anything other than rec, but she's very self-motivated and loves it, so we said yes. The other parents have been great! However, I miss the interaction with the coaches that we had on the rec side. Like KarenUK, I just want to know stuff, but don't want to be a fussy mum.

Hello,
Our little DD is 8 years old and training level 6. She started almost two years ago and has had to play catchup with her teammates almost everyday of her gymnastics "career." :) We are located in Wisconsin but just switched to a gym in Illinois so this will be our first time competing in Region 5 so we are excited and nervous at the same time!

Dan and Janie

My DD is 10, we are in NJ, she is training 6/7. She is going on her 5th year of team gymnastics and still loves it just as much as day #1. She does dive team in the summer and softball in the Spring. I also have two boys, one in HS that does baseball & marching band, and one in MS that does band, all star baseball, soccer and wrestling. It's a crazy busy life, but I love it!

:confused:..hmmm. I would have swore I did this already. LOL. I started reading back from page 9, planning on going back to the page where I had posted. (thinking thats how many posts on this thread I had missed). But I just kept going back and back and back. And found myself on page 1...lol.

So, lets see..

DD is 5 (will be 6 next month), she is training L3. She has been doing gym since 2 1/2, when she started in a mommy and me class..she dropped the Mommy a long time ago..lol
DS is 4, and does a preschool gymnastics class. There really are no "boy" gym classes at their gym, but he is happy with the preschool class. He is more interested in football. (he will be able to play on a town peewee flag football team next summer)

Been around for what seems like forever. I have a 16 year old DD who is a 2nd year level 10. She still loves gymnastics as much as the first day when she was 6. She is hoping to get a college scholarship to a D1 school. I have a 14 year old DD who is a swimmer and a self proclaimed nerd. I also have a 11year old DD who is a level 7. She just got her first floor routine done and boy can she dance...who knew!

What gym did you friend move to? We have quite a few gyms in the area that people move from all over. Surprises me.. mom's with just their daughters and leaves the rest of family just to train.[/QUOTE]

She moved to Chows. The family separation was for one year only so their oldest could finish up senior year in H.S. She took the 3 girls with her and they made a lot of trips back and forth over week-ends and such. They are a great family, very close and also have extended family in Des Moines. They are all together now in Des Moines as of last month:)

I am new here today....I have 2 boys. My oldest is 11. He did parent-tot gym, and hated it. He is more a chess club/robotics/Boy Scout kinda boy.

My youngest just turned 9 and competed level 5 last season. He is training level 6 and while he is getting close, he still needs several skills to move up.

S

Your oldest is like my son who is now 19 he was the computer geek, chess, robotics, currently an Eagle Scout but also loved Gymnastics so much that he now coaches the boys team he use to be a part of.

I can't imagine my oldest ever liking gym that much! We live far enough away that he sits thru many practices, plus meets. However, with his personality, I can totally see him being a judge....hmmm...maybe we should start training him now! LOL!

Hi! My DD is 8 and started when she was 18 months because she kept leaping off all of the furniture saying, "look Mom, I can fly!" Figured I had better get her to a padded environment! She's loved it ever since. She competed L4 last year and was state champion AA, floor, beam and bars for her age group and 2nd for all L4's in the state. She's doing L5 next year and pretty much has all of her skills except for the Kip, which she had at one point and now seems to be missing but I know she'll get it again. Our season doesn't start until Dec. with the Judges cup and then the next meet is in Jan. So she has plenty of time to find the kip again!
Heidi- Southeast Idaho

I have a 9 year old who's a prep-op this year. She's training a mix of L6 & L7 skills. She started gymnastics when she was maybe 3 and a half. She likes gymnastics a lot and is really excited to be doing the prep-op thing this year. She also likes doing other activities like swimming or CYO sports through our church, so we definitely stay busy. I also have 2 older girls: 17 and 13. The 13 year old used to also do gymnastics, but she quit a couple years ago.

I'm starting to get the impression my sister has told everyone our entire family history but I'll introduce myself anyway. I'm a single dad to a 9 year old girl who has just started to train with a level 5 group. She's very excited about this and very excited about starting 4th grade in August. Because both her mother and I work full-time (though I now have full custody) she's done every activity under the sun through her after school programs and city youth outreach. She's done some dance, some soccer (and poetry... at the same time, good old DC public schools), some track, some basketball, some pom poms, some softball and some swimming. She's also done some various summer camps that have done a wide variety of educational things in the city. She's convinced gymnastics is her favorite thing in the world right now. Behind even snowboarding, her old number one, something her grandma taught her.

We have 2 kids: a 14-year-old son that loves baseball and a 12-year old gymnast. The baseball player is on a traveling team that plays mostly tournaments. He is actually switching from our small town school to the bigger town just down the road in order to play baseball in high school (and participate in other activities he loves - like debate - that our small town school just doesn't offer.

Flipper, the gymnast, competed level 8 2 years ago, broke her foot at the start of the season last year, came back for 6 weeks and broke the other foot (heavy sigh!). She was working level 9, but competed a couple of meets at 8 between breaks. She has only been back in the gym for a couple of weeks and is determined to be a 9 this year, but might need to be 8 for a bit longer. While the injuries have been discouraging, when put in perspective, that is 2 injuries in 8+ years of gymnastics (and the second one was from trying to rush back because Flipper was DETERMINED to compete at the state meet and qualify for regionals - she did, but missed them when she had the second break).

We drive an hour each way to gym 5x a week. I remember looking at other parents who did this type of thing for their kids and feeling that they had lost their minds. It is possible we've lost our minds, but we've also come to understand that this is what the litter bugger loves and what she wants to do. Her goal is a college scholarship - and what parent can argue with a goal like that?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back