Parents MCL injury and yet another knee brace

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

buttercup

Proud Parent
Well turns out my DS doesn't stay in one piece for long! He's had about 3 weeks of full training after a wrist fracture this spring- and now he has a partial tear of his MCL in his right knee. :( He has seen the doctor, and starts physio and will be getting a brace tomorrow. This is by no means his first injury- he is 15 and accident prone (often outside of the gym). He has an alarmingly large collection of braces and supports including multiple knee braces already. It has often taken a couple trys to find one that will hold up to the abuse a strong male gynast puts it through. We know we will have to get a new one - he requires one with a hinge and bars on the sides to prevent sideways movement this time. Does anyone have recommendations for things to look for or to watch out for? We are having it fit by his PT - and we will listen to her advice - but she will give us choices in a couple price ranges all of which would be appropriate to support the knee - and could tell us which one would be perfect for a football player or a dancer. :rolleyes:
Any word of wisdom about how to find something that will work well for and hold up to a gymnast on the first try would be appreciated.
Thanks

When I partially tore my MCL in early October, I had a T-Scope, which is a full leg brace that prevented lateral knee movement. I could adjust the angles that my leg could move at (per my orthopedist's reccomendation). I was scheduled to be out of the brace come Christmas, but I was out a week before Thanksgiving. I did not need PT, and it hasn't recurred (yet), but that worked well for me. Also, daily icings, and watch out for sudden swelling or if the pain starts moving farther around the knee.
Note: I wasn't allowed to do gymnastics in the brace, not that I could have because it was so bulky, but just to keep that in mind as well. Hope I helped!

Thanks- sounds like yours was a little more involved then my DS. His brace will arrive tomorrow- and while it is bulky and stops lateral movement, he will be able to train in it. (With ALOT of restrictions of course.) Hes icing it lots- and we are just hoping it heals well and quickly.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back