Parents Meet #1 of 2 this weekend done

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

flippersmom

Wow. What a day.

We attend the Pink Invitational yesterday. We had the 8:00 am schedule. Drove up night before, snow not too bad. Got to bed around 10:30. Both DD's were hogging the bed, woke up around 2:00, didn't really get back to sleep. Got in the shower 5:30 am, text start coming in, Session Cancelled! (Snow!) Oh no. DD woke up at 6:00 anyways, was so bummed I couldn't get her back to sleep. Found out they were trying to squeeze us in first at Saturday night (and our 2nd meet this weekend is back in MD Sunday morning), then it changed to Saturday - sometime. Tried to get us in early session, ended up getting scheduled for 8:00 pm. Had to check out of hotel rooms. We were able to keep 1 of 4 rooms, but had 4 girls, 3 parents and coach all hanging out in a very small space! Spent a good part of the day on the hotel computer getting updates. Got lunch. Hung Out. Had lots of time to do hair. Got to meet very early. Girls hung out somemore. Sessions were all combined. Other gyms from session got added to other L6 sessions, we were combined with Pre-Opt. Made awards smaller, but they did a great job going out farther than 50%. Girls did well, in spite of the fact they finished competing at about 10:45 pm. They had two gym, other gym was just finishing around 11:30 pm I think. 3 Girls stayed elsewhere and had rooms for next day and got naps, and I think that helped them. DD did place 4th on Vault, 1st on bars (which she laughed at, because she knows she did do great and got lucky there!), was maybe 3rd of Beam and 2nd on Floor, 1st AA. Like I said, we got lucky, we only had about 6 of the original 14 or so teams in our session. Team got 1st. Coach was happy for them, they were so tired and were the parents. Got home last night about 2:30 am - felt so good to sleep in my own bed it was worth it. Gym did an amazing job trying to accomdate everyone at a meet that they donate money from! We hope the rest of the weekend goes smoothly for them!

2nd meet in less than 24 hours . . .

Wow, that was long!

Talk about drama. SO glad she placed so well considering all that uncertainty.

You are a stronger woman than I, I think I would've gone home!

Some teams didn't stay. Coach was fine staying. This was the one meet DD was really looking forward to. We didn't get to go this last year, and DD has been hoping since them to go! So we figured what's a little lack of sleep!

They really do a great job. Everyone girl receive a pink tank leo with breast cancer logo from GK that they compete it and keep - it does make it hard to find your kid when they move around though! They get a bag with health information and stuff in it. Photographer was there to take pictures - after the meet they mail a cd with pictures of each girl to the gym for them to keep. Good amount of vendors. Awards are great. They do a really great job. Ever girl who receives a 9.0 or higher gets a pink ribbon with their name, event and score, which they tie on to a string during awards. For every pink ribbon, their youth group who raises money all year donates $1.00 towards breast cancer. The organizer from their gym is a survivor. Everyone time a parent started to complain, I tried to remind them of why we had done this meet and for them to stop and think what the host were going through - and they were donating all profits. One parent said she wouln't want to go back, but the coach was impressed and would probably go back. Can't control the weather, but other than that it was great.

What a great idea for a meet! I love the leo and the ribbon, it is very good for young girls to become aware and a sports event is a great venue for education.

Oy!! What a hectic 24 hours:eek: Good job to your DD, sounds like she did awesome! Like Bogwoppit said, it was a wonderful idea for a meet.

so glad you guys got to compete! You were probably smart to go the day before...two girls from our gym never made it because even with a later start time they couldn't get out up here.

My DD is going to that meet tomorrow night.

Glad your daughter did well! It good for kids to compete in less than ideal circumstances...teaches them to deal with changes. Sorry to hear you were all stuck in one room!

Great job, and congrats on having first place team!

Snowbound

Lots of snow problems everywhere! Glad her team got to compete--even if it was really late. Did she have a good time? Sounds like she did well!

She did great, even with all the craziness. That sounds like a really cool meet.

Good luck with meet #2!

Wow! First congrats to your dd on the 1st places!! Way to go!

I love the whole idea of this meet. To give all the profit to a worthy cause is awesome. And it sounds like they have really great prizes for the girls also. My dd would love that leo (although you're right, I bet is was hard to keep track of where your dd is with everyone wearing the same leo - hope your dd had a note worthy hair do lol).

Glad she did well and so did the team--Way to go :) As for the circumsance, sometimes we have to count our Blessings and even if the journey isn't a smooth one the at least we can enjoy the company of the people we are with:D It was a good cause and good for you to remind others of why you were there:eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back