Coaches Meet day nutrition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what would be the best meal for my daughter (breakfast) on a meet day. She would typically be rising at 6:30 am and beginning warmups at 8:00 to compete at 8:30. She is not generally a picky eater, so any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day!

In order of importance:
-Something she likes
-Something without a lot of sugar
-Something with lots of carbs

Anything that she likes that's low in sugar and high in carbs. And yes, the part about her liking it is important, especially for girls; what sort of mood she's in leaving the house can have as big an impact on how she does as anything else.

I always had blueberry pancakes before leaving for state meets; my dad makes the most delicious pancakes, as well as this absolutely amazing sauce to go on top of them (I don't know the exact recipe, but I know it involves yogurt, bananas, honey, and orange juice -- I know it doesn't sound that appetizing, but it's absolutely declicious).

The night before...pasta.

The morning....Cheerios and bananas.:)

The important thing is that she is eating something.

I always felt I needed some protein, I would eat plain scrambled eggs, toast, and Orange Juice. If it is a long meet it is good to have some snack with them also- such as a Banana, or Orange. Staying away from sugar in the morning is best.

Never thought of nutrients for kids in that way. We don't have generally long meets, and we can bring bread, or whatever. But when I think of her Saturday morning trainings, yesterday she was so grumpy after an hour, she still had a half hour to go, was tired, they really had them work yesterday. So maybe I should give her something else in the morning to eat.

She doesn't like cereal though and isn't crazy about banana. She usually has 2 slices of bread with chocolate spread. So not sure what else I should give her to have energy.

She usually has 2 slices of bread with chocolate spread. So not sure what else I should give her to have energy.

You could add some peanut butter to the bread. A peanut butter and chocolate sandwich...sounds good to me.

Ahhh, nah, she hates penut butter too. She is quite picky. lol I actually love peanut butter. I bought a few peanut butter biscuits and M&M's, which you can't get here in Holland,:( in Germany while visiting an American Army base and I couldn't get her to taste it.

To be honest chocolate spread and PB, doesn't sound appetizing to me either. But 10 years ago, when I was living on a missionary ship, I never thought I would like PB and jam sandwiches either and now I do.:)
Any other suggestions?

Fruit and yogurt?

It's really not that important...as long as she's eating something. Just eat junk food in moderation. In the US, we are known for having unhealthy youth. Healthy eating is a lesson that will last a lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
As JBS said the most important part is that they are eating, just keep in mind sugar will give a quick rush, and then a quick drop causing a loss of energy.

As JBS said the most important part is that they are eating, just keep in mind sugar will give a quick rush, and then a quick drop causing a loss of energy.

So maybe I should give her something else on her sandwiches, that has no sugar in it. Cause she was fine early on, but totally slumped, after an hour.

Thanks for all the great advice...at yesterday's meet she started at eight and wasn't finished until after 1:00 in the afternoon and she definitely was running out of steam by the last event. I was thinking along the same lines as the banana and cheerios but may try some of the other suggestions as well. Thanks again!

Just wanted to add that hydration is as important as the food they put in their tummies. Since we're at 6800 ft., it is very important to make sure the girls drink quite a bit before the meet(yeah, then the whole issue of multiple potty breaks!) and get some water during the meet. I would say stay away from the "sports" drinks like Gatorade. They are loaded with sugar and are meant more for atheletes who are in constant motion--runners, soccer, basketball etc. The best drink is plain water, but most kids get tired of it quickly. Try adding a slice or 2 of lemon or lime---will give it some flavor. I've also caved and put in powdered Crystal Light mix(artificial sweeteners). As long as that will get her to drink it. Once they complain they're thirsty, they are already very mildly dehydrated.

As for food, beef jerkey in the gym bag seems to be the snack of choice. I have found out that meets like the school cafeteria is a time for swapping snacks. What you may pack as a nice wholesome snack may end up being eaten by a teammate. If we have a drive of over an hour and then the girls have the traditional warm up, I usually throw in a Lunchable. At least she can nibble the crackers, meat etc. Usually she eats on the light side the day of a meet and they are all famished when the meet is over.

We always used to have homemade beef jerky at the meets, too. Totally agree with the water.

We also had little snacks (like cheeseburgers) hidden in our gym bags for the meets. What can I say, teenage guys are pigs.:D

A long time ago, in a magazine article(one that my mom reads), it said that lunchables were on the top ten worst things to pack in your kids lunch list.

things like Lunchables have extra sodium and preservatives in them, they help them stay good longer. Of course they are not as good as a homemade snack, if it was a choice of a turkey sandwich, or a lunchable with turkey, cheese and crackers of course the sandwich is better. But if a Lunchable will get eaten before the sandwich pack the Lunchable.

I would love for my child to eat nothing but healthy snacks and meals, but in the real world I know it won't happen. She is not a sandwich kid--just doesn't like them, so taking a lunchable or something like it along for her to nibble on seems to work, so she has something in her stomach that isn't too heavy before the meet.

I would love for my child to eat nothing but healthy snacks and meals, but in the real world I know it won't happen. She is not a sandwich kid--just doesn't like them, so taking a lunchable or something like it along for her to nibble on seems to work, so she has something in her stomach that isn't too heavy before the meet.

We all wish they would pick the healthy snack, but even as adults do we do it. As has been stated giving them something they will actually eat goes a long way. The snack that stays in the bag doesn't do anybody good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back