WAG Meet score

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastics

Gymnast
Hi everyone! I’m a level 6 gymnast and very disappointed in my scores, which are sevens and eights. Beam is usually exactly an 8 unless I don’t make my handspring which I am starting to get mental blocks on (so help with that please!)

I would’ve gotten an 8 at my bars, but I can’t connect my free hip kip to the squat on and only sometimes connect my kip to free hip on high bar. I’m also loose no matter how hard I try!

I always get a 7.8 on vault (half on).I’m kind of afraid at running full speed bc my steps aren’t exact and I can’t count as I go to a ymca and we take down after every practice. I’m just not powerful enough.
I have districts coming up soon, in about a month and might have a competition before that. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you all so much!

How many hours a week are you practicing? A private lesson with a coach might be helpful as they can help identify specific deductions you are getting and tell you more precisely what to work on to improve your scores.

How many hours a week are you practicing? A private lesson with a coach might be helpful as they can help identify specific deductions you are getting and tell you more precisely what to work on to improve your scores.
I’m a ymca gymnast. I have to take down the gym afterwards. With that in mind, I have 2 hours on Tuesday, 2 on Saturday, and 3-4 hours on Saturday depending on if there’s extra practice or not. Other gyms have open gym but it’s far away from my house.

You don't need free hip on both low and high bar.
My daughter's L6 routine was kip, cast, free hip, kip, squat on on low bar.
Then kip, cast, flyaway on high bar.
She scored mostly in mid/high 8s because of her casts (never hit handstans and I also believe her form was not tight/hollow enough on her casts)

For vault, this video might help you. What the judges are looking for. Tsuk starts at 6:58

Also, you can look for videos of vault drills.

For beam, if you struggle with back handspring you can do either series (carthweel-carthweel is the most common but I think handstand-back walkover would work too) or roundoff for flight.

She scored mostly in mid/high 8s because of her casts (never hit handstans and I also believe her form was not tight/hollow enough on her casts)

For vault, this video might help you. What the judges are looking for. Tsuk starts at 6:58

For beam, if you struggle with back handspring you can do either series (carthweel-carthweel is the most common but I think handstand-back walkover would work too) or roundoff for flight.

T

thank you! For bars, I asked my coach why I have two free hips and she said incase I don’t make one of my free hips, but my low bar free hips are good! Maybe I’ll ask again.
The vault video should help- I appreciate it.
for beam, I’ve made it on high beam before at a meet but am suddenly getting mental blocks. Mine are really good on the lowest beam- then I go up and lose form and get scared.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back