MAG Meet Time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, the first meet is done! YAY! I forget how exhausting they can be :)

D had a solid meet. Stuff to work on, stuff to add to routines, etc.

The scoring was different. I think the highest I saw was like 11.2. I think the judges, coaches, and gymnasts are all feeling out the new routines, new judging. Our coach got tickled because one of our boys only did 1/2 of the elements in the hb routine. His SV shoudl have been around 6. He scored a 7 ;) So, I am sure there are still bugs/ and kinks to work out. One of our boys fell 3 times on floor and got a 3. :( I truly question those super low scores as beign helpful, but he bounced back nicely.

D managed 8th over all. Didn't hit his giants on HB, did his mushroom routine wrong, and onyl stuck 1 landing. SO....definite room for improvement, but it was so exciting to see how far he has come!!

Sounds like a great start to the season! Are his routines different, since he is starting the season in 6?

He is doing the 6 routines with bonuses where he has them. He just did the wrong thing on pommel! LOL!

Oh..here are what the scores looked like:
Floor: 9.8
Pommel: 10.2
rings: 9.1
Vault 8.8
PB: 9.8
HB: 7.9

AA 55.6

SO you can see they are quite a bit different. Last year he was pretty much high 14 -15s with aa around 89. Bit of a shock, but not too bad.

I heard Scoring was much different this year. Not out of 15 or 16 w bonus. So...is it out of 12? 13? yes, I see where it gets confusing!!!

He did great! I'm guessing the new routines will throw some kids off at the beginning of the season. Last year my son's goal was always double digits. It will be different this year.

I think the max on most events is a 12.2 with all the bonuses, all the virtuosity points, and a stick, so yes, it probably will look really weird at first. I mean, who is thinking to her/himself, "go for the . . . 11.7!!!"? But wow, a 3? That seems kind of ridiculous. (Though I'm remembering the meet last year where one judge was handing out 6s on pommel like he had a candy dish of them.)

That is great, though, that D did so well. Wow, if he was over a 10 with a major mistake on his mushroom routine, he ought to kill it next time! And those giants will come. Having been at a girls' L7 meet yesterday, I can testify to that high anxiety moment when the kid goes up, up, up . . . will s/he make it around?? Your next one isn't for a while, right?

So, I think it is out of like a 12.5. So kids are shooting for AA like 60-65 I think. But who knows. We have about 2 months before our next meet (and it is a big invitational). Hopefully D will get bonuses, etc in :)

Oh..the anxiety of the giant is fun! Way more fun than the kip anxiety! LOL!

I uploaded the video we got yesterday with scores if you guys want to see how it looks.

His routines looked really good! Looks like the scoring will be confusing at first! Ryan doesn't compete until January (level 5). I will have to look for some of the new routines on youtube. Thanks for sharing!!

The lowest score we saw at our first meet was a 2.7. My son got a 3 on the p-bars but he is small and I really think that if the bars were closer together he would be able to handle it better. At this point, he dosen't even attempt the dismount. It was an honest score and the best he can do right now. I think some gyms wouldn't compete him on the p-bars but our coach thinks that they should go and do the best they can, better to let him compete with the rest of the kids than have him sit an event out. Eithor way works for us.

He'll get it...even tiny. I remember when D was a 4, how hard those pbars were. He will surprise you by the end of the year!

I watched his videos, and I thought he did great! My level 4s are doing Judge's Cup in a couple of weeks. It should be interesting.

My son's meet is coming closer....like in two weeks. I am getting nervous thinking about it! I wish we weren't going to such a big meet first!

Good luck at meets today! Can't wait to hear how they go!!

We are now official veterans of the new scoring system! DS and his team had their first L5 meet yesterday. I think it went pretty well, although not quite everyone left with a medal, boo. Lowest score on our team, awarded on floor, was a 5.0 and highest was a 10.5, but we saw both lower and higher posted.

We started on floor, which went . . . not well. Only a couple of our guys have one floor bonus, so the ceiling wasn't going to be very high anyway, but after the rotation was over, the coach found out they had a text error in their routines. DS didn't quite break 7 on floor, thanks to a sort of flailing FHS, a truly ugly BHS, and a lot of additional little things. The rest of the team also struggled on floor and the highest score anyone got was an 8.2. On pommel, his mushroom was great with 5 1/2 circles pretty darn clean, and then on pommel, he kind of lost it in the middle of the routine and ended up sitting on the horse. The bonus enabled him to score a mid 8, but he was not a happy camper. One of his teammates got over 10, though, with just the one bonus.

On rings, a couple of our guys had great back lever holds and one had both a good muscle up and a back lever hold and got over a 10. DS did the muscle up and his usual back lever wilt, but still got a low 9. He managed not to sit his vault, which I will take as a victory, for a mid 8, which is where most of his teammates were. Parallel bars was the best rotation for our team and my son's best event by far -- he did a great V seat and big swings, and while he didn't have the handstand at the end quite well enough to hold it, he still got over a 10 and was thrilled (especially since he did it with just the one bonus). The lowest score on DS's team for that event was over an 8, so their coach was delighted.

High bar went about as well as could be expected from a team on which only one guy has a kip and only two guys can keep their legs together for the turn. Still, DS got a low 9 and was pretty pleased. If he can figure out the kip, he could have a pretty good year on that event.

Three of this young team of seven boys, only two of whom are second year L5s, managed to place all around, and two guys tied for second on different individual events. They didn't make their coach crazy, and only two of them came remotely close to killing themselves at the meet (one almost back headspring, unfortunately during competition, and one ugly P bars crash during warmups). So proud of these guys!

So that's about it. I have his routines up on Youtube and will share the link if you PM me.

Sounds like a good meet! I think we will get used to the scoring in time :) Always good to have that first meet out of the way!

Thanks for sending me the video. Looks like he did well. Im a bit more scared then I was. What was the 'text error' on floor? My son watched the routine and actually said something like, he didn't do that right..... I think it was in the cartwheels to the corner. Are our coaches reading that part wrong, or is that 'the text error."

The error was actually right after the pushup, at around :40-:45. There was an update, and the routine now goes, "Lift leg rearward with ¼ turn (90°) either direction to cartwheel or ½ turn (180°) to cartwheel, up to 3 steps forward to assemblé with a ½ turn to corner facing (B)." Our guys all missed the turn and went straight into the cartwheel.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back