Parents meet timing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just found out my job for the meet our gym is holding this weekend. Each year our gym holds a meet usually a state competition and the parents are required to help out all weekend I have no problem doing this since we usually make alot of money which goes back to the girls for their competition fees and stuff. I volunteered to do timing/scoring since I timed warm ups last year and I usually time the swim meets for my older daughters swim teams. Alot of the parents do not like being stuck at the judges table for 3-4 hours during the competition but I enjoy watching the girls compete. Well I got stuck with bars and I had no idea that I have to time the girls if they fall off the bar and they have 30 seconds to get up to finish their routine. I hope nobody falls off and if they do I hope they get up. I am not looking forward to doing this job, it does not sound like fun. Wish me luck, my daughter finds this amusing because I can barely watch her do bars, she said sure mom you will probally close your eyes if someone falls.

What level states is it? Hopefully it's an optional level and won't be the same routine over and over again! :eek: Good luck!

Actually, I like working bars. Usually the routines go quickly although warm up can be a pain with all the coaches doing bar adjustments. I rarely had any girl come close to the 30 second max. Usually they take a few seconds to chalk up again, talk with coach and jump right back up.

For the first time ever we saw a girl time out on bars....at westerns no less. She fell off and then was warned that she only had 5 seconds left. She walked to the bar stopped, adjusted her grips and the judge said time...you are done. She had timed out and was not allowed to finish. I only caught part of what happened but it was the talk of the bleachers!

For the first time ever we saw a girl time out on bars....at westerns no less. She fell off and then was warned that she only had 5 seconds left. She walked to the bar stopped, adjusted her grips and the judge said time...you are done. She had timed out and was not allowed to finish. I only caught part of what happened but it was the talk of the bleachers!

Wow, you don't expect to see that at L9---especially a national meet. By then the girls have a clock in their heads almost about how long they can take to get back on the bars. Sounds like the coach was asleep too! At one meet, I did have the head judge ask to see the stopwatch(she had a clock in her head) and it was at 29.5 when I stopped it. This was for a L10. Let's face it, by the time you hit stop, the girl has been off the bars for a couple of seconds.

Panda-girl's mom---they usually ask you to give a verbal warning at the 20 second and 25 second marks to warn the gymnast and coach.

Well I survived the meet timing thing. Only a couple of girls fell off and I think the longest one was like 12 seconds they are allowed 30 seconds so it was not as bad as I thought. I think the meet went well considering how big it was, daughters team did a dance after every session again this year it was really good. I shocked at how good my daughters round off double backhandsprings got. The girls were funny as soon as the meet was over they ran over to the floor as they were taking it apart and were tumbling like crazy I think this was their favorite part of the meet. It was just killing them watching the other girls competeing all weekend and them just doing a dance every couple of hours. Today they canceled practice since we had such a long weekend my daughter was not happy so out came the mats and the practice beam on the front lawn.

I have to say that is one of the worst jobs. You don't get to see a thing because you are timing all the time. I like doing the head table or music. both at our gym are so easy to do. Now I haven't done an optional meet so maybe its harder with music for that one.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back