WAG Meeting top gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ponyshine

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
Have you ever met any top level gymnasts & if so, who were they?

I once saw Becky Downie & her sister Ellie walking past at the British Champs, so I got my picture taken with them & also Beth Tweddle.

DD has 'met' Jordyn Weibe(waved hi and got waved back to). Had her picture taken with Amanda Borden and attended a summer camp with Elise Ray.

DD has been very lucky. Although we have GB members in our gym she would never ask for photo's or autographs from them but she's met quite a few at competitions:

She met a lot of the women's squad at the British championships. We arrived early a couple of years ago and were sat in a block next to one reserved for coaches and gymnasts. When we went in, a nice lady pointed out a row of GB women at the front and allowed dd to sneak down and walk along the row and get their autographs - Danusia Francis, Jenni Pinches, Hannah Whelan, Lizzie Beddoes and a few others.

At the visa games in 2012 we were on the front row (you could almost touch the heads of the gymnasts below) and as the men marched out she leaned over and waved at them and Louis Smith looked up and waved back. I got that on my camera. The afterwards she had her picture taken with Max Whitlock and Daniel Purvis when they came up to the stands.

At the olympics we spotted some of the reserves sitting together and she went and got autographs from Becky Downie, who signed a leotard, and two others (I can't think who they were without digging out her book). She then met the entire Italian team in the lobby and had a picture taken and autographs.

She met Beth Tweddle at a shopping centre and got an autograph.

She loves meeting her role models

DD has met the Johns at FlipFest, Carly Patterson, and LilyPod. She would run you down if you got in the way of her meeting Nastia.

DD met Aly Raisman at IGC last summer. She got her picture taken with her, and a shirt autographed. She also won the flexibility contest that week and Aly said "ewwww" when she did her thing (super flexible shoulders so she pops them in/out to get her arms behind her back with her hands together over her head), which she is most proud of :)

No current gymnasts yet, but Mary Lou Retton was at one of our meets in the fall and she put all the medals around all the girls' necks. I don't really think most of the girls knew who she was, but my DD had done a big report on her for school. I've never seen her more excited than when she got to meet her.

We have family in Canada so when we went to go watch my niece compete at a qualifier my girls got to meet Victoria moors ( Canadian Olympic gymnast). As well as when we were back in Canada to watch my nephew compete at nationals they got to meet Ellie black ( another Canadian Olympic gymnast)

At the visa games in 2012 we were on the front row (you could almost touch the heads of the gymnasts below) and as the men marched out she leaned over and waved at them and Louis Smith looked up and waved back. I got that on my camera. The afterwards she had her picture taken with Max Whitlock and Daniel Purvis when they came up to the stands.

My youngest dd has watched the following mens teams in our gym a couple of years ago:

British
Canadian
French
Japanese (trampoline team)

dd has also had her gym sessions in the gym at the same time as the following were training:

Austrailian Mens team (Both dd's have photo's with them and one of them sat next to my youngest dd and started talking to her - she was to shy to say much to him, she was in pre school gymnastics at the time, they were doing there pre olympic warm ups). These guys spent a few weeks training at the gym and were very friendly.

Irish Mens team

Scottish ladies team

there may have been others but I can't remember.

We have family in Canada so when we went to go watch my niece compete at a qualifier my girls got to meet Victoria moors ( Canadian Olympic gymnast). As well as when we. were back in Canada to watch my nephew compete at nationals they got to meet Ellie black ( another Canadian Olympic gymnast)

We met the Canadian team at the London prepare Olympic qualifiers event. Dd was transfixed by Peng Peng Lee (the flower in her hair did it). She was so lovely to dd. We talked about how dd was finding her conditioning really hard and Peng Peng told her how much she hated it too and that sometimes it even made her cry but that it was really important. DD monaed a lot less less after that! It's so lovely that they take the time to talk to the little ones - it really can make a huge difference.

Chelsea Memmel came to my DD's gym for a meet and greet prior to the 2012 Olympics. She got to ask questions, get her autograph and pose for a pic. It was a really neat experience for our tiny gym.

She also met Canadian Olympic Gold Medalist Kyle Shewfelt at a meet and got to take a pic with him while she was holding his gold medal. That's one of my favorite pics.

We see Olympic Silver medalist Mohini Bhardwaj-Barry at numerous meets throughout the year (she is now a gym owner and coach), but I don't think DD has really interacted with her.

Pink & Fluffy refused to have her picture taken with Beth at the British 3 years ago, she just hid behind me, but I was so impressed how long Beth stood there with the children - it was hours and she never refused any of them.

She also had her t-shirt signed by Gabby Jupp at Saphire when she competed there, that made her week.

I have met Blaine Wilson... and I have seen John Roethlisberger and Shawn Johnson (from a distance at a college meet). OG was hoping to get to talk to SJ, but our organizer didn't set ANYTHING up right and SJ was less than 30 feet away and OG couldn't say anything.

Our girls met Alicia Sacramone and got an autograph at one meet, and she talked to them at awards at another meet this season. Makayla Maroney came to our gym when the Kellogg tour was in town, and talked to our team and signed their vault table. That was pretty cool! I am always simply AMAZED at how TINY they are, when they both looked so dang imposing on TV!

Last edited:
Dominique Moceanu (who trained at DD's gym as a little girl) came for our gym's open house. DD got to take pictures with her and get her autograph. DD also got to take a picture with Nastia when she came to DD's gym for a meet and greet to promote the Tour of Champions after the 2012 olympics.

The men are soooooo nice! We have pictures of DS at Winter Cup with a lot of top men, who were so willing to spend a few seconds chatting up the little boys with stars in their eyes and dreams in their heads. My favorite has DS with Donnell Whittenberg, Josh Dixon, Brandon Wynn, and John Orozco all at the same time. The little guy was beyond ecstasy.

Aly Raisman and Jordyn Wieber both did meet and greets at DD's gym at different times last year. We were out of town during Aly's visit, unfortunately. Our team girls were also invited to visit another local gym when Bela Karolyi came to visit. THAT was cool! He talked to the girls and answered some of their questions, then signed autographs. He signed DD's leo. I think the parents were probably more in awe than the girls!

Lots!! Makayla Skinner is a personal friend of one of the coaches at our gym. She actually is friends with my dd on fb and instagram. That is probably her favorite elite gymnast. My ds meet John orozco, Brandon wynn, Jake Dalton, Danel Leyva and a few others at winter cup in Vegas. All great guys who were more than willing to pose for pictures and talk for a while. Courtney kupetssigned a medal for my dd a few years ago, and Amanda Borden is seen at lots of meets down here, since her gym is here.

Tim Daggett came and spoke at my college back in the late 90s and I had to go pick him up from the airport. he was nice but I felt awkward LOL

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News