Parents Meets and Gift bags

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

berrisweetness

Coach
Proud Parent
The parents volunteer to do gift bags for the meets. I assumed it was just for the kids who were attending. Some say they just do the ones attending, some say they do all. If you are just doing snack that they can eat while they are waiting for awards and maybe a small trinket then do just for the kids that attend. This is just my opinion. When we attend meets they don't give gifts to everyone only the ones that are competing.

Can anyone share their opinions of this.

Whichever you decide ... Please don't include food of any type.

There are too many dietary restrictions and preferences.

The parent I'm partnered with wants to do the whole team level. There are approximately 19 girls but only about 12-13 are competing at this
Particular meet. Her daughter is one of the ones not competing, as a matter of fact they will be out if town. Not all the girls do all the meets. And keep in mind this is coming out of our own pockets.

Curious ... Is there a recommended dollar amount (not to exceed $xx)? Whether per gymnast or total? 20 gift bags, or even 12, can really add up. And I'm guessing this is done for each meet?

I've occasionally seen that around here too. Truly, my opinion ... It's a bit over the top.

Yes it is done for each meet and there is no set dollar amount just whatever you want. which is why I am wondering why it's not just for whoever attends, kinda like at the other sport games when the moms take turns providing the snacks . So if your there you get a snack if not the. You don't. They are turning it into something more than what it should and every kid is gonna start to expect a gift at every meet

I have seen some teams do this. I can see it for a big meet like state; but I think that for every meet it is a bit much. I definitely think that it should only be for the kids who are actually AT the meet, no need to make a bag and take it to practice for those who miss.

I have no issue with including a snack. At least in my experience, the team moms normally are made aware of food allergies. And if the parents are aware that these goody bags are given out (I'd be willing to bet that they are aware of this) and they don't want what ever snack the other moms are willing to buy, then that mom can donate something for her specific kid.

Honestly though, I just can't see doing this for every single meet. The last thing that I need is more dollar store junk at home that my kid is attached to because, "I got this at such and such meet, which is when I placed X on Y event. I want to keep this mini slinky for EVER because it reminds me of that day!!" And I can certainly stick a snack in my kids' gym bags for them to eat during awards.

FWIW, I think that this is a gym doing gift bags for THEIR team, not a host gym doing gift bags for every single kid in the competition (and then the kids who didn't make it to the meet too).

I don't necessarily think this is an example of the cultural divide between the U.S. and other countries. I mean, there are two parents from the U.S. responding (myself and Jago) saying that we think it is "a bit much". While I have seen a few gyms do this, the vast majority that I have seen don't do it.

Hi 2G1B, thanks for clarifying what happens with the bags - I did think it sounded like a massive task to sort out bags for all the gymnasts - I have enough trouble doing 7 or 8 for my kids parties! Sorry if my comment came across as negative- all I meant was that it isn't something that would be done here in France, not because there is something wrong with the idea, just it isn't done, like birthday cards generally aren't sent here and the French think we are unusual giving out Christmas cards too (I am Welsh but was raised in Virginia and now live in France so am somewhat culturally confused!). One of the things that I love about CB is finding out what traditions and variations there are - it is so interesting to be in touch with other parents of gymnasts from all over the world.

One of the parents did this when our boys had their first ever meet. She did it all on her own (having an older gymnast). They had things like Gatorade and a bannana (no food allergies on that team). It was so nice because us new moms had no idea how long a meet would be! They boys were starving at the end.

If some girls are going to be at the meet, but can't compete due to injury, I think it would be really nice to give them a gift bag too--not getting one will make them feel even worse, I would think.

And I think it's a bit over the top to do it for every meet too--just do it for the big ones or the expense will be too much.

If some girls are going to be at the meet, but can't compete due to injury, I think it would be really nice to give them a gift bag too--not getting one will make them feel even worse, I would think.

You are right we have one who is injured who comes to support her twin at every meet so she is automatically included.
It is over the top and there is 2 parents per meet and everyone pitches in to cover state. I think we should just cover snack because the kids are usually starving by then .
Let me not forget the other tradition they started. Everyone goes out to eat after the meet. You don't have to but when one child hears all the others are going they don't want to be left out.

We do gift bags for every competitor at our meet, but it's donated stuff from our sponsors. There might be a few snacks (e.g. packets of cookies, a juice box), a water bottle with a product name, maybe key rings or pencils. We did buy gymnast tattoos and throw in for the girls because they were cute and cheap. Everything was promotional material from sponsors. That means it wasn't really exciting stuff, but at least it was something.

I'm sorry everybody if I confused everyone. This was not pertaining to hosting a meet. These are Level three team parents
Making gift bags for the meets we attend on our schedule.

Well I have never seen a club do that. But we don't have meets where they give gift bags out anyway.

It seems frivolous to me. I mean the cost of meets is expensive enough but the costs of the gift bags will need to be added to it.

I also find the idea of a snack concerning. Any sort of pre packaged snack is going to contain some chemicals which will not be the best thing for the kids, especially if they are sitting for awards. If a parent feels the child needs a boost the. They should provide them with something of their own.

I don't know how awards work in the USA but in Australia all the kids are on the floor for awards so they would not be allowed to eat anyway.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back