Meets this year

cp13

Proud Parent
Mar 19, 2019
Country
USA
So, our gym has the girls scheduled for 4-5 meets this year. They are all in state. So, we are not travelling due to covid. However, the gym is offering the girls a chance at a meet in November an hour away out of state. Ordinarily I wouldn't think twice about allowing my daughter to go. This meet will be in a rural county at a high school. So, it's a smaller USAG meet. That state doesn't have a mask mandate and in general has been a lot more slack with precautions than our state. I cannot find a website for the meet.

I wish these gyms would post something about their meets to let the parents know how the meets will be run. I want to know how warm ups will be run, how awards will be handled and if masks are required. Anyone else have concerns about meets this year? I want to allow her the opportunity to compete but are we supposed to blindly assume proper precautions are being taken? I have the same concerns about the other meets that are scheduled later. This out of state meet is just pushing me into making a decision about attending meets sooner.

Reactions: cmg
Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

mommyof1

Proud Parent
Jan 31, 2012
The car
Country
USA
So, our gym has the girls scheduled for 4-5 meets this year. They are all in state. So, we are not travelling due to covid. However, the gym is offering the girls a chance at a meet in November an hour away out of state. Ordinarily I wouldn't think twice about allowing my daughter to go. This meet will be in a rural county at a high school. So, it's a smaller USAG meet. That state doesn't have a mask mandate and in general has been a lot more slack with precautions than our state. I cannot find a website for the meet.

I wish these gyms would post something about their meets to let the parents know how the meets will be run. I want to know how warm ups will be run, how awards will be handled and if masks are required. Anyone else have concerns about meets this year? I want to allow her the opportunity to compete but are we supposed to blindly assume proper precautions are being taken? I have the same concerns about the other meets that are scheduled later. This out of state meet is just pushing me into making a decision about attending meets sooner.
I don't think it's possible to know at this point what the local conditions will be in November or later in the season, what precautions meet organizers will take, or what public health restrictions will be in place. Our gym has opted not to register for any meets at this point and the kids are only training new skills, not routines. (My daughter is still home and probably won't return to practice for at least several months. Our county has just become a hot spot.)

If I thought it might possibly be safe to compete later in the season and could afford to lose the meet fees, I would register my child but be prepared to pull her at the last minute depending on the situation. If I would be upset about losing meet fees, I wouldn't register for meets. Even if you are willing to send your kid under any conditions, there's still a substantial risk of cancellation.

Reactions: SMH

ldw4mlo

Proud Parent
Feb 13, 2015
Country
USA
We have no meets scheduled yet. And in fact our gym hasn't even had us sign up for our USAG renewals. No meets, no point.

Personally, any meet I signed up for if I did, I would assume could be canceled at anytime. I would also assume I wouldn't see the cash back. Unless there was a refund policy clearly spelled out. So if I couldn't afford to lose the cash I wouldn't sign up.

We do local meets and they tend to be the same ones. Some I don't mind giving my money to, others I don't even during normal times. So that would be a factor.

Reactions: CuriousCate

cmg

Proud Parent
Jul 2, 2018
Country
USA
Our gym is not planning on any competitions so far due to the uncertainty. Several of the older gymnasts who are trying to get to college or higher might go to a couple meets but that depends on conditions. I think we will just end up doing in house meets that we can hopefully get a judge to officially score. It is already bad out there in terms of covid, and it is supposed to get worse and as another poster has stated none of the meet directors are really posting or communicating how they are going to run the meets? What safety precautions are they taking? Will we get refunds if covid gets bad again? Without that information I don't see how any one can make a decision on whether to go to a meet or not. I am disappointed not to really have any scheduled competitions but the reality is that things change so quickly it is really hard to plan ahead for anything right now.

GAgymmom

Banned
Banned
Proud Parent
Judge
Oct 25, 2010
Country
USA
Went to a meet yesterday. It went very smoothly. It was so nice to be at a meet again, it almost felt normal!

Reactions: M2Abi

bookworm

Proud Parent
Oct 3, 2009
On my couch either reading or doing nothing...
Country
USA
I would be very leery of attending, and letting my child compete in, a meet in a state without a mask mandate ....the trickle down effect will be that you will see less and less masked folks in areas where it's not required, and then you have to worry about the gymnasts at the meet, their families and friends, coaches, people working the meet etc ....the potential ripple effect would just be too great for me to even think of signing my kid up for a meet in a state with no mandate. And if they're not requiring masks, contact tracing is likely to be non existent in the event of an outbreak from that particular event so there's that....

ldw4mlo

Proud Parent
Feb 13, 2015
Country
USA
I live in a mask mandate state. Yep folks wear them . Of course many don’t cover their nose. Also been places not mandated folks wear them anyway.

I wear a mask, whether mandated or not.

Y decision to got to a meet would be based on infection rate. Whether other folks mask or not.

Reactions: PinPin

chalkbowl

Coach
Judge
Nov 16, 2006
Country
USA
Y decision to got to a meet would be based on infection rate. Whether other folks mask or not.
Curious if it would be the infection rate of the State, County, or City in which the meet is held. How low would you want the infection rate to be before attending?

beachgirl

Proud Parent
Judge
Nov 7, 2013
Country
USA
Then there's always the problem where you child's gym chooses to attend a meet in a state that doesn't mandate masks and you keep her home, but the rest of the team attends. Does your child then have to miss gym for the next 14 days? What if the team travels to multiple meets out of state? Your child could potentially be out of the gym the entire meet season. These are the thoughts I have in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.

cp13

Proud Parent
Mar 19, 2019
Country
USA
Then there's always the problem where you child's gym chooses to attend a meet in a state that doesn't mandate masks and you keep her home, but the rest of the team attends. Does your child then have to miss gym for the next 14 days? What if the team travels to multiple meets out of state? Your child could potentially be out of the gym the entire meet season. These are the thoughts I have in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.
Yes, you could choose to keep your child home but the rest of the team goes. Then you send your daughter to gym the Monday after the meet...did you accomplish anything by keeping her home??? I don't know.

Freddy's Fred

Proud Relative
Nov 19, 2017
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Went to a meet yesterday. It went very smoothly. It was so nice to be at a meet again, it almost felt normal!
Was it is Georgia? Do we live in the same state? I don't get it. Our kids are not in school, how are there meets?

ldw4mlo

Proud Parent
Feb 13, 2015
Country
USA
Curious if it would be the infection rate of the State, County, or City in which the meet is held. How low would you want the infection rate to be before attending?
I would be more concerned at the local level rather then the state. When NY was at its peak there were many areas of the state where there were few to no cases other factors would it require a hotel stay, flight, could we get a roomwith a kitchen. Would we be able to eat out door, how was the host gym handling who could attend, sessions and cleaning. Would we have to quarantine.

Again would they be willing to issue a refund due to government shutdowns.

I’d be comfortable with an infection rate under 3 percent. Up to 5 probably still ok. Over 5 % would be more in the no camp.

Masks are the least of it. We wear ours.

bookworm

Proud Parent
Oct 3, 2009
On my couch either reading or doing nothing...
Country
USA
Masks are the least of it. We wear ours.
We wear ours too and are in a state with a mandate but my point in saying I would be uncomfortable at a meet in a state without a mandate is that's kind of an indicator on how much of the population is leaning....... I get that people "can" wear masks in states that don't mandate it but I think the mindset is much different for the population as a whole in those states. States where I see big indoor gatherings with mostly maskless, close crowds would be a big NO for me...

And to cp13's question of what does one accomplish by sitting out meets , if my kid sits out meets this year to protect her health and the health of our older relatives, that's what we accomplish.

beachgirl

Proud Parent
Judge
Nov 7, 2013
Country
USA
We wear ours too and are in a state with a mandate but my point in saying I would be uncomfortable at a meet in a state without a mandate is that's kind of an indicator on how much of the population is leaning....... I get that people "can" wear masks in states that don't mandate it but I think the mindset is much different for the population as a whole in those states. States where I see big indoor gatherings with mostly maskless, close crowds would be a big NO for me...

And to cp13's question of what does one accomplish by sitting out meets , if my kid sits out meets this year to protect her health and the health of our older relatives, that's what we accomplish.
I think cp13's quote was in reference to my pondering. If you keep your child home from a meet, but the rest of the team attends, do you then need to keep your child home for 14 days after the team comes home? What if the team goes on multiple travel meets? Your child could potentially be home the entire season. It's a lot to think about.

Reactions: PinPin

cp13

Proud Parent
Mar 19, 2019
Country
USA
I did not consider quarantining after a meet. I was assuming all kids would return to practice in the days after the meet. Therefore, if we sit out a meet to protect everyone's health, that is fine. If I send my child to practice the week after the meet and her teammates all attended the meet and someone picked up covid, then I may not have accomplished much because she could be exposed anyway. Perhaps this is just the risk we live with as some teammates are also going to school in person at this point.

With regards to infection rates, it's good if it's low in the area of the meet but if the infection rate is higher in surrounding areas, it could still be problematic because the people at the meet have traveled to it from elsewhere. The local people are only a small percentage of the people at the meet.

My daughter is a teenager and I will let her compete this year but I am still concerned. I agree with everyone who says they don't know what November and December will look like and so it's hard to plan. Unfortunately you have to register for these meets 6-8 weeks in advance. I wasn't sure if there would even be meets this year but they are planning for them and so now the decision is on the parents to make the call as to whether or not to go.

Reactions: beachgirl

ldw4mlo

Proud Parent
Feb 13, 2015
Country
USA
Playing devils advocate but not really as science supports this.

No one considers that this years cold and flu season can be milder then usual. The mitigation for covid is the same mitigation for cold and flus. More SD, masking, sanitizing. Not as many folks out and about. Will not only tamp down covid, but colds and flus as well.

GAgymmom

Banned
Banned
Proud Parent
Judge
Oct 25, 2010
Country
USA
Was it is Georgia? Do we live in the same state? I don't get it. Our kids are not in school, how are there meets?
Yes it was. And because schools are government institutions and politics plays a major role in what they do. Most gyms are privately owned, so they can conduct business as long as they follow CDC guidelines.

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Judge
Nov 16, 2012
Our meet season is about to start (I'm in Europe).

These are the precaution that need to be followed:

- No audience
- Max number of kids in one session is 50
- No award ceremony
- Judges can wear masks (not required)
- Hand washing protocols
- Hand sanitizer used between turns
- Only kids from the same club in the same group
- There needs to be a waiting area for every team
- In warm up, every team needs to have at least one strip of floor
- Event warm ups are built into the competition itself

Aussie_coach

Moderator/Coach
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Club Owner
Jan 4, 2008
Country
Australia
Playing devils advocate but not really as science supports this.

No one considers that this years cold and flu season can be milder then usual. The mitigation for covid is the same mitigation for cold and flus. More SD, masking, sanitizing. Not as many folks out and about. Will not only tamp down covid, but colds and flus as well.
It was here! As I’m am in the Southern Hemisphere Winter has finished, we have just spent Winter with COVID and it was the mildest cold and flu season in history.

Last year there were around 200 deaths from flu in my state, this year we have had ZERO deaths from flu.

wandrewsjr

Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2009
Country
USA
It was here! As I’m am in the Southern Hemisphere Winter has finished, we have just spent Winter with COVID and it was the mildest cold and flu season in history.

Last year there were around 200 deaths from flu in my state, this year we have had ZERO deaths from flu.
Yes! I’ve seen several major media reports here in the USA about how mild the flu season in the southern hemisphere was. Hoping that bodes well for us up North. Can I ask what the “lockdown” situation was in your state during your flu season?

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!