Parents Memory box or book?? And acomishments...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Household6

Proud Parent
Were new to the competition, and I want to find a cute, fun way to keep up with my daughters achievements. How do you do it? Scores, certofocates, medals, achievements? I know y'all have some good ideas!!!
I am not good at scrapbooking, but maybe I need to start?
Also, if you child has a big accomplishment, how do you celebrate it, without being over the top? She has placed in the top 2 in all 3 meets this season so far. My daughter is young, 6... so that may make it different that if your child is older. If that makes sense.

So, for all mine I have a clear pocket folder with all their achievement certificates etc.

Pink also has a second one with her gym achievements in it, medals score sheets etc, but I'm in GB and here you only get a medal top 3 AA, possibly a ribbon for 4-6 so we have less "stuff" to keep (usually 20-60 in her age group with 3 awards)

So as a consequence we don't place huge importance on medals. I also have another (powerpoint) skills book listing her skills, on each piece, when she got them with help (spot, mat etc) and when she got them on her own. Then if she get down about not progressing I can show her how far she has come.

All certificates go with the ones from school in a photo albums. There is one where you can place whole sheets. For the medals I bought a medal holder like this from etsy. https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1140378899
I don't do anything big for gymnastics accomplishments because I don't want her to get caught up with scoring. I treat her the same no matter how she scores. I always praise her for doing her best and any medals are a bonus. I focus on academics and good sportsmanship more for praising.

My girls have a cork board for ribbons or certificates, and a medal rack for medals. Every single meet gets treated the same for us, completely non-dependent on scores/placements. We go out for some dessert to celebrate every meet. Just getting out there again and again is accomplishment enough for that small celebration.

My dd has some fairly big achievements :).

We try and focus on the progress, not the results. What she did better, what has improved the most. For example when she comes out of her meet i won't say "well done, you won/came 2nd/last", i might say "wow, i can't believe how well you did skill x, you scored way higher than last comp "

But yes, out for food and ice cream after, competetitor gets to choose the restaurant :)

Her scores get logged in Excel, I note anything special there, good or bad.

Medals for the current season displayed, others are currently in the closet in a box.

Some special plaques and trophies displayed.

I have a share site for her, that I journal to her in. When something special happens, like getting her BHS on beam, I note it there.

Pictures of stuff. I also make a photo collage of the shots I buy at meets for her and the family.

We don't typically celebrate. Once she said if I do well at States you should take me out for ice cream. I said but if you have one fall and don't medal should we not go out? And if I say no does that mean you won't try your best. A meet is a meet, you should always do your best. So no, no ice cream for doing well at States, that is what you get medals for.

But lets go out for ice cream to celebrate the end of meet season, because you worked hard no matter how it all turns out.

I tend to reward the work not the getting something. So I will reward hard work even if she doesn't have the skill yet. Once she gets the skill, that is the reward.

I'm in the process of creating Shutterfly photo books for my DD, one for each level. These will include snapshots that I have taken of her throughout the year (at practice, hanging with her teammates, meets, etc..), I will also be including each meet from that level and her scores, just not quite sure how to do it yet. I'm still trying to sort and organize all of my digital pics, which is a job in itself!!

I don't do much, lol. She has a couple medal racks that she tosses medals onto... Medals I DO label with event/score/placement, but that's more because when she first started competing gyms largely did that for us, but as the years have passed, they've trended away from that. Had those first ones not been labeled.... ?

I do the same for DS - sans medal rack, yet. Medals are hung on nails near his trophies. Depending on how this season goes (# of medals), he may or may not get a medal rack... He'll get one when he needs one.

DS I do keep a little booklet of scores at most meets since there doesn't seem to be an online database for boys. For score tracking for DD, I only write down meets not in mymeetscores, and sometimes not even those.

All this said, my mom DOES scrapbook for my kids and she places random photos, programs, notes scores, etc, from any meets she attends (most of them). I used to scrapbook but stopped shortly after she started, because who needs two full scrapbooks with many similar photos? :confused:

I've been playing with the idea of making those online scrapbooks through Snapfish or Shutterfly since there are so many awesome state meet photos and such that I'll never frame (I do a max of 3-4, then replace each year), but haven't yet. Maybe someday when there's abundant free time...

I label medals with level, date, event, and placement and hang them on a curtain rod. Scorecards and photos go into her scrapbook. I also write her scores and placements in a little score book the gym gives out at the beginning of the season.

All of her meets give out achievement ribbons for every event (blue for 9.0 or above, red for 8.0, etc.). After a little more than one season there are already too many of these to fit in the scrapbook, and several of them have gotten lost on the way home so we don't have a complete set anyway. For now they live in a box.

New skills are celebrated with cupcakes or ice cream. We go out for lunch or dinner after every meet no matter what, although this is not much fun after a disastrous meet. After a good routine, I try to catch her eye with a thumbs-up before scores are flashed and to find her and gush over the performance before awards so she knows I am praising the performance, not the score or placement.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back