Mens- New Scoring System...Help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
This year, the compulsory routines L4-7 have changed for boys....
What would be considered a good score?????
What would be equivalent to AA of 50???
What would be the new 8 and 9 score per event????

Thanks

14's would roughly equal 8.775 percentage wise. So, expect to see 15's in the top 5. 90AA, maybe mid to high 80's. I doub't we'll see 15.5 but who knows since there are 57s and 58s in the old system ( mostly L4 ).

I guess I would need to score and learn the new scoring system. If I go to the judging clinic, I'll post back. Maybe I'll read up on it and stop by the local gym and see if they're doing routines yet.

I don't think anybody even knows what a "good score" will be at this point. Not much to it except to wait and see what happens this season.

True, since the deductions are bigger now, might not see that high of scores as well.

So I'm just bumping this back up to see if anyone has had enough experience with the new scoring for compulsories to have a sense of what the scores mean. Ds had his first meet yesterday and his scores seem pretty good--but I'm not sure how good. He had two 15s-- on HB and rings. Mid 14s on vault and p bars. On floor, he got a mid 12, with a fall and he forgot the scale. Then there's the dreaded PH--9.6. AA came out to 81.7, which is higher than what I had expected, especially for the first meet.

My guys have been to two meets so far; in NC, the high scores are in the 14s, average scores are in the 12s, and I've seen scores as low as the 7s.

We have been using this system in Australia for nearly 2 years now. Deductions are much bigger so you can't make the same comparisons between the old system and the new system. For us, scores of over 14's are generally very good. 13.5 is similar to about what a 9.0 was. 12.0-13.5 are similar to scores in the 8's.

Here are the scores for the first meet of the year in our area.

Season Opener 2008 Results

Interesting, especially the L9 and 10's. Couldn't get the 8's to come up. I'll need to take a closer look at these and deductions tomorrow really soon since I'll be stepping up my hours in assisting boy's team ( only L4's right now ).

Ahh. . . Nor Cal. Our guys thought they were pretty good because our level 4 & 5 teams consistently win around here-- until we went to Pacific Coast Classic last year. You have some amazing teams around there BlairBob. How many hours do the little guys typically practice? Around here it's common for level 4s to only do 4 hours a week.

My L4's last year did 7.5 hours per week. Some did an additional 1.5 to 3 hours of tramp n' tumble. At the gym I'm at now they do 3x3 and we're seeing about adding a 4th day because apparently the head coach missed a lot of workouts before I came on.

At the gym I was at before all this they did 7 I think. 2+2+3 or it could have been 2.5x2. Initially when I started my team group at a rec gym years back the most I could have got was 5 hours a week being 2.5x2 but preferably 1.5x2+2(+).

Many gyms around here do 9 hours plus for level 4. 3x3. There might be a few that do 3x4 or 4x3. If they had a future star's program that could be extra time. My thought was to clump the TOPS and FS days into the same one and they would do gender specific stuff besides most of the same general stuff together.

California has a lot of numbers if you look at the USAG chart for the gals or boys. I think we have more than Texas. There are definitely strong programs in the bay area and socal and elsewhere. Then again, California is huge.

Last year I found 7.5 hours sometimes too much for my L4 or me(heheh). I found it not enough for my L5's in the same group especially since I had L4's and L5's at the same time with a big age difference.

Personally, I think it's ok for L4 to do anywhere from 4 or 5 hours to 10. It just depends on the focus of the program and of course that expectations are laid out to the gymnasts and parents so they don't come back and bite your head off.

Last edited by a moderator:
At our YMCA in Fl the L4 & L5 practices 9 hrs a week....most places it 9-10 hrs a week....Another gym we are familiar with L 4 is 9 hrs, L5 is 12 hrs.
We are quite competitive with the really good gyms, but I don't know how much they train....I would imagine it is similar.
I have heard as much as 2 hrs. a day every day....(10 hrs) for L4.

Then again, 8 yr old should have a life too.....I think that unless you have a 'natural' 8-10 hrs is reasonable to stay competitive, and keep it fun.....I have heard about kids that 'over practice' and still come in with low scores...(coaching maybe??)

I would not let my son go more than 9 hrs a week unless he got to L6...

Last edited:
Let's say you have a kid who is inflexible, weak, a bit "slow". There are a lot of factors of why a kid may be on a team that practices a lot but still does poorly besides poor coaching. If they come in late, leave early, are wusses, have a lack of energy inducing headaches and nausea, it goes on and on.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back