MAG Mens' Team for Worlds

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Following the conclusion of the 2015 P&G Championships, USA Gymnastics has announced the men's team for the 2015 World Championships which will be held this October in Glasgow, Scotland.

The members of the team are:
Danell Leyva of Miami/Team Hilton (Universal Gymnastics)
Sam Mikulak of Newport Coast, Calif./Team Hilton (U.S. Olympic Training Center)
Alex Naddour of Queen Creek, Ariz./Team Hilton (USA Youth Fitness Center
Paul Ruggeri III of Manlius, N.Y./Team Hilton (U.S. Olympic Training Center)
Donnell Whittenburg, Baltimore, Md./Team Hilton (U.S. Olympic Training Center)
Brandon Wynn, Voorhees, N.J./Team Hilton (U.S. Olympic Training Center)

Alternate: Chris Brooks of Houston/Team Hilton (Cypress Gymnastics)
Second alternate: Marvin Kimble, Milwaukee, Wis./Team Hilton (U.S. Olympic Training Center)

Thoughts?

Really surprised not to see Jonathan Horton on there. I heard they input scores and other info into a computer to make the team selection.

I was hoping Horton would make the team but I don't know the men's team well or all the specifics.

I know that Mike Racanelli developed a program that was looked at at one time. I'm not sure if this is what it turned into. But it found the combination of athletes that produced the highest expected team score.

I love Horton, but he had a very tough second day at nationals, and the US is pretty strong in his best events. I hope he keeps working, though, because he proved on day one that he is totally capable of competing at a level that places him in the mix for an Olympic berth.

I couldn't possibly be any happier to see Paul Ruggeri on the list as a competitor rather than an alternate. I think the only thing that could make me happier would be if John Orozco's insane plan of working intensively on hi bar, pbars, pommels, and rings while he's rehabbing his ankle gets him to the point where he makes it onto the Olympic team. Never ever count him out! But seriously, it is going to be a dogfight next year!

I am calling it now. Whittenberg for the Olympic gold medal on still rings in 2020. I don't think he will quite be there yet in 2016, but if he sticks around like so many more guys seem to be doing now, I think he can do it.

Wynn was added to the national team later, so that is good. Leyva worries me a bit, as he seems to be inconsistent in big meets. I was disappointed to not see Chris Brooks as a team member, adn thought Dalton might get the nod, since the reason he sat out was to be healthy for Worlds. That has to sting! Glad to see Paul there ;)

Reactions: sce
I could be totally out to lunch, but I think the message the selection committee was trying to send to Jake was "get your shoulder fixed now so you're ready for Rio." But yes, Chris Brooks has really been solid the last few years and I wish we could take more guys. He's worked so hard and has done so well. I certainly hope no one gets injured, but it is very good to know that we have athletes of the exceptional quality of Brooks and Marvin Kimble waiting in the wings.

It was really great to hear those guys who are at OTC cheering so loudly for each other during the meet. And it was lovely to see Donnell Whittenburg smile at the end.

Wynn was the one that surprised me because he really only contributes on one event. I kind of was thinking Kimble over Wynn to do rings and PH. I don't like having to rely on both Leyva and Mikulak both hitting. I think it would be nice to take some pressure off Mikulak and not count on him for all six in team finals.

and Leyva is pretty inconsistent.

So who does what events????

Floor: Sam, Paul, donnell
Pommel: Alex, Sam, Donnell? or Leyva?
Rings: Sam, Brandon, Donnell
Vault: Sam, Paul, Donnell
Pbars: Sam, Donnell, Leyva
HB: Sam, Leyva, (this is one spot I would put Brooks), but instead will go Paul

I don't know. So much is not good. Do we want 2 aa? In that case who is it? Sam and???

Wynn was the one that surprised me because he really only contributes on one event. I kind of was thinking Kimble over Wynn to do rings and PH. I don't like having to rely on both Leyva and Mikulak both hitting. I think it would be nice to take some pressure off Mikulak and not count on him for all six in team finals.

Brandon and Alex are both 1 event contributors. Marvin could have done those 2 events, and then added another strong person that can do more events.

and Leyva is pretty inconsistent.

So who does what events????

Floor: Sam, Paul, donnell
Pommel: Alex, Sam, Donnell? or Leyva?
Rings: Sam, Brandon, Donnell
Vault: Sam, Paul, Donnell
Pbars: Sam, Donnell, Leyva
HB: Sam, Leyva, (this is one spot I would put Brooks), but instead will go Paul

I don't know. So much is not good. Do we want 2 aa? In that case who is it? Sam and???
I assume Whittenburg is the second AAer again. If they put him on PH in team finals though, yikes. It has to be Leyva, but yeah he was kind of a headcase at Nationals day 2 and is not the most consistent. That's why I don't like the idea of team prospects relying on both him and Mikulak hitting pommels. That requires too much of a convergence of luck.

What's the format? Is it four up, three count in prelims, with three up, three count in finals?

Here's my guess for prelims (with the fourth guy the one dropped if it's three up). I have Mikulak and Whittenburg as the AAers because the US will put up two. So the other two on each event are

FX: Ruggeri, Naddour
PH: Naddour, Leyva
SR: Wynn, Naddour
VT: Ruggeri, Naddour
PB: Leyva, Wynn (or maybe Ruggeri?)
HB: Leyva, Ruggeri

Sam will hit PH in prelims and finals because the team needs him to hit. If he falls, it will either be on hi bar or something stupid like the floor fall on the first day of nationals. I, too, am nervous about taking six scores from Donnell, but I think the US has committed to him as an AA guy and is looking toward Rio for this. (I suspect that second AA spot in Rio was between him and John Orozco if Orozco hadn't gotten hurt.) For finals, I'd keep Sam in AA but swap out Donnell on horse and hi bar.

Leyva makes me nervous. When he's good, he's very very good, but . . .

How I wish Jake Dalton were available for some of these spots! John too! If John can really work on getting good and consistent on PH and PB and crank up his difficulty on rings, it would be a very good thing for the US.

Oh, and Alex Naddour is better than a lot of people realize. People think of him as a one-event guy, but he's not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back