Mental Block...HELP!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymfan4ever95

Coach
Gymnast
okay...so yestarday i did my back layout full on the trampoline at my house for the first time...well, cleanly i guess you could say... and i figured out how easy they were!!
well, a few hours later i went outside and did a few more good ones...and one or two bad ones. Then i did one that scared me to death... i think i must have started twisting WAY to early and i barly flipped and barly twisted and i almost landed on my head, but i didn't, thankfully. I just landed face first in the net of the trampoline. ):
now i won't twist at all! I am so scared now! I was so excited that i finally got it, and now i just won't do it!!
help me please :confused::(:confused::(:confused::(:confused:

Yikes, hope you're alright! That's sure happened to me before--most annoying thing ever, isn't it? ;) You might not be able to do it again right away, but you still have to trust yourself and build your confidence back up to try it later. Maybe ask your coach to spot a few and do a couple yourself with a someone standing there in case you mess up. You'll get in back in no time :) Good luck!

that's one of my problems...i am scared to be spotted while i am doing certain tumbling skills...and that i am doing them at home (we are on spring break) so i don't have anyong to spot me ):

I think it would be a good idea to not twist at all on a home trampoline. I don't encourage kids to do anything but jumps and incredibly basic skills. I was a level 9 and now do college club, and I definitely wouldn't do anything past a standing BHS on a backyard tramp. The bounce on a cheap, backyard tramp is much different than a high quality tramp at the gym. Plus, you don't want to teach yourself bad habits (as you found out already).

Last edited:
The safety net doesn't change the fact that the trampoline is most likely much lower quality than what you'd find at a gym. Plus, if you don't have supervision, you have no idea if you're doing it correctly, even if you land on your feet.

okay...but at our gym we don't have a trampoline...we just have this really short tumble trak and i can't even fit a roundoff backhandspring back layout on it...so i do my fulls off of that thing from now on i guess...thanks :)

You don't need a trampoline to learn fulls. It's a nice training tool to use *with supervision*, but there are many gyms that do not teach fulls on trampolines.

okay...thank you. i am just getting so upset with myself because i won't do it and it is just "eating away at me". i havent been to gym in over a week because of spring break...oh well.
i don't need my full until level 8 anyways...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back