mental block on bhs?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hey. im working my backhandsprings on beam. i need to get it on high beam for level 7. it is fairly good, with a few things that need a little work(straight legs, stiff arms...) however it is square and i stick almost every one. i have unstacked to one 8-incher. however as soon as i take that one mat away, i lose my confidence and dont go. i really want to, but i have let this go on to long and now i dont know what to do. does anyone have any advice on how i can get past this? i count 123...but its not working right now.
thanks in advance!:D

Just cus 8 inches is off of the ground u dusnt mean freak out. it just means go for it harder than u normally do.

hey. im working my backhandsprings on beam. i need to get it on high beam for level 7. it is fairly good, with a few things that need a little work(straight legs, stiff arms...) however it is square and i stick almost every one. i have unstacked to one 8-incher. however as soon as i take that one mat away, i lose my confidence and dont go. i really want to, but i have let this go on to long and now i dont know what to do. does anyone have any advice on how i can get past this? i count 123...but its not working right now.
thanks in advance!:D
I have this issue with round off back-hand springs on beam. Use mental choreography. Vissualize yourself doing it perfectly before you go. You might have trouble the first couple times, but practice makes perfect. Keep us posted on how you do!

Visualization is a great idea.

I find it helpful to give my athletes confidence by having them do 3 solid ones with the 8" mat, then take it away, and immediately have them do some with a 4" mat. Then a sting mat, then nothing.

Obviously, you know you can to the BHS. I'm sure your coaches want you to "just do it, already," but with beam, a little bit of fear is normal.

Additionally, try setting goals for yourself. Today, I will try 5 with only a 4' mat under me. Next work out, I will do them with just a sting mat. It's helpful to KNOW you are progressing, even if it's just a little each day.

Hmm... Maybe do it at your comfort height, and then have someone take the mat away for you so you don't have to look down before you go. Then your 'fear' processes might be fooled into thinking it's the same as it was before.

Yeah, fear processes generally aren't very smart.

I agree with fuzi, what i did for my bwo was to just slowly take mats away, and i would use a 4" mat after the 8", but just don't give yourself time to realize that someone switched the mats! i think that it is best to move slowly, take time to get really comfortable with each mat. You will have it in no time, i am sure! Just don't loose confidence in yourself and always keep trying!

I had the same problemm... but just keep doing it on the low beams and eventualy you'll be like wow this is easy and when your coach makes you do it on a higher beam you'll be like i can do this. it took me months dont get me wrong, but eventually i was confident enough!

try to do ur backhandspring with the coach spotting u on a high beam and get lighter and lighter spots don't get frustrated it might take some time to get it

well i still havent gone for it....but each day i try:eek: and tonight i felt really close to just going for it:D im getting there...thanks for all the advice:rolleyes:
:beam::beam:

Hello twin sister!
your doing the exact same thing as I was doing..which was basically mental blocking. I just kept repeating it over and over and over and over...you get the gist...until I was used to it.
great news that you've nearly got it!
good luck!

Another thing that helped me (when I was having mental blocks on bwo, but now it helps me for bhs, too) was just to think that it is exactly the same four inches, and if you are making it, especially if you don't fall off very much, you don't even have to worry about the mats because you never touch the floor! Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, it could just be my mental brain that gets it... I definately agree with the idea of getting someone else to switch the mats, I think that might help, too. Good luck, just keep working at it and try to NOT get frustrated.

that's good another thing is stacking up mats and going urself then removing them slowly

Oh yeah, and another way to fool yourself. I got my back handspring on floor because my coach put their hand out, but didn't actually ever touch me, so it felt totally like I had done it by myself. You can try that too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back