Parents Metroplex gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastmomma2010

Proud Parent
So my DD (9) is doing T&T now as Ive posted before. And she loves it. She does have days where she wants to go back to gymnastics. We have talked about her going back after her season of T&T. But heres the thing. The desire to go back is very... fleeting and when she does talk about going back she begs for metroplex. Occasionally texas dreams or WOGA. But mostly Metroplex. She had a friend start going there who is doing extremely well. BUT her friends love for gymnastics is strong. DD's dad says Im crushing her dreams. He seems to think a big name gym could be the thing to "rekindle her passion" But my thing is, I know Metroplex to be very serious, and hard. I am in no way trying to bash this gym. They obviously do very well and DD's friend truly seems very happy there. I just feel like a gym like Metroplex is probably the LAST place DD needs to be when shes struggling to just keep her passion for the sport. I feel like if she does go to gymnastics, maybe it needs to be at a smaller gym with a more gentle approach. Thoughts? I would love to hear from parents with kids at big name gyms.

My daughter isn’t at a big name gym, but I can say that if I were you I would be thinking exactly what you are thinking - and it’s probably one of those decisions on which I would put my foot down.

Your daughter is nine. Trust your gut and stand firm. Children do not get the final say in investments that cost thousands of dollars and require large commitments of family time. Does she get final say in picking out your new car because she rides in it? A gym payment is often as much as a car payment.

That said, do you think it would be helpful to take your husband ( without telling dd) to watch Metroplex practice?

Honestly, if she decides to try out artistic gym again I would pick 2 or 3 gyms that that meet your families needs including cost, drive time and of course safety and coaching and have her try out for their Xcel team. After a year, if she decides to go back to JO, then reevaluate.

Your daughter is nine. Trust your gut and stand firm. Children do not get the final say in investments that cost thousands of dollars and require large commitments of family time. Does she get final say in picking out your new car because she rides in it? A gym payment is often as much as a car payment.

That said, do you think it would be helpful to take your husband ( without telling dd) to watch Metroplex practice?

Honestly, if she decides to try out artistic gym again I would pick 2 or 3 gyms that that meet your families needs including cost, drive time and of course safety and coaching and have her try out for their Xcel team. After a year, if she decides to go back to JO, then reevaluate.

Im sorry I should've clarified. Me and her dad arent married. And hes the one Im butting heads with.

He thinks her jumping back into gymnastics with one of the tougher gyms is a great idea. I think it would only solidify her decision to be done with the sport. Not to mention, I believe it would be a waste of time and money for me as Im the one who pays and drives her back and forth. So you make a great point about who's paying for it. Lol i just wanted to make sure I wasnt alone in my thinking. :)

Devil's advocate. If you allow her to attend Metroplex she has a friend, a motivating factor. If she attends Metroplex possibly two different scenarios could play out. 1. She loves the gym again and Metroplex that has the potential to take her to her best gymnastics self. 2. She decides gym is not for her and she knows she gave it her all. She retires from the sport with a clear head and few regrets and hopefully many life lessons.

I agree on a hard gym with high expectations could end her career earlier, but as you list cost as a factor possibly sooner is better than later? Also, possibly take the opportunity to ask her father to participate with travel to and from gymnastics and contribution to her tuition, even a little helps. You might make progress with him if he agrees to the Metroplex decision.

So my DD (9) is doing T&T now as Ive posted before. And she loves it. She does have days where she wants to go back to gymnastics. We have talked about her going back after her season of T&T. But heres the thing. The desire to go back is very... fleeting and when she does talk about going back she begs for metroplex. Occasionally texas dreams or WOGA. But mostly Metroplex. She had a friend start going there who is doing extremely well. BUT her friends love for gymnastics is strong. DD's dad says Im crushing her dreams. He seems to think a big name gym could be the thing to "rekindle her passion" But my thing is, I know Metroplex to be very serious, and hard. I am in no way trying to bash this gym. They obviously do very well and DD's friend truly seems very happy there. I just feel like a gym like Metroplex is probably the LAST place DD needs to be when shes struggling to just keep her passion for the sport. I feel like if she does go to gymnastics, maybe it needs to be at a smaller gym with a more gentle approach. Thoughts? I would love to hear from parents with kids at big name gyms.
I also think it depends on your daughters personality. We are not at a big name gym but a growing gym with super high standards. My daughter was very wishy-washy about gymnastics when she was on team prep but as soon as she was in the team program and held to super strict picky standards, she absolutely fell in love with it. So a gentler approach might motivate one kid but might actually turn off another kid (like mine) who internally wants to be pushed and challenged and knows that the team is going to place well at state etc.

My daughter is at a big-name gym and there's no question it is tough and requires a significant commitment from gymnast and parents. Expectations are high, the pool of talent runs deep, the "stars" receive more attention, and as an average gymnast, she at times struggles to keep up. That being said, she is happy. There is a wonderful camaraderie amongst the girls, and a certain thrill of regularly sharing the podium with teammates. They enjoy the pride and prestige that comes with being an XX gymnast. Training alongside high-level athletes is an exciting experience as well.
If it were me, I would let your daughter try Metroplex. She will always wonder what might have been otherwise, and perhaps harbor resentment for not being allowed to "follow her dreams." If she finds it's not for her, could she switch to a lower-pressure gym later if she desires to continue in the sport? It's true that you can't predict the outcome - she might either rediscover her passion or realize her heart isn't in it. But either way, she would have the opportunity to find her own answer, and perhaps enjoy some great experiences and learn some life lessons along the way.
Best wishes as you ponder what is best for your daughter and you.

My daughter is at a big-name gym and there's no question it is tough and requires a significant commitment from gymnast and parents. Expectations are high, the pool of talent runs deep, the "stars" receive more attention, and as an average gymnast, she at times struggles to keep up. That being said, she is happy. There is a wonderful camaraderie amongst the girls, and a certain thrill of regularly sharing the podium with teammates. They enjoy the pride and prestige that comes with being an XX gymnast. Training alongside high-level athletes is an exciting experience as well.
If it were me, I would let your daughter try Metroplex. She will always wonder what might have been otherwise, and perhaps harbor resentment for not being allowed to "follow her dreams." If she finds it's not for her, could she switch to a lower-pressure gym later if she desires to continue in the sport? It's true that you can't predict the outcome - she might either rediscover her passion or realize her heart isn't in it. But either way, she would have the opportunity to find her own answer, and perhaps enjoy some great experiences and learn some life lessons along the way.
Best wishes as you ponder what is best for your daughter and you.

I actually had a Metroplex mom reach out to me. After her T&T season Im going to take her to watch a practice. She is still very wishy washy. One day shes gung-ho about going back and the next she doesnt want to even HEAR about gymnastics. BUT that very well could have to do with the struggle we've had finding a stable gym for her. Which Ive posted about here before. I do wholeheartedly believe if her previous coach hadn't gotten sick she would most likely still be doing gymnastics. She loves T&T as well and she knows if she goes back to artistic she will likely have to quit T&T. Which, she doesnt even want to talk about that lol I guess we will just see what happens :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back