WAG MG Elite Podium Training Leo

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TumbleTimes4

Proud Parent
Did anyone else happen to see Riley’s leo for podium training? I know MG Elite pushes the boundaries in regards to their leos, but this one seems unsafe. She was constantly pulling and tugging at the top during training. I would think that this would raise safety concerns because if the gymnast is distracted or worried about her top exposing to much, then she may not be completely focused on the skills she is doing like she needs to be.

I agree. I must admit that I do think that it is pretty and all, so I understand why the team likes to wear leos like this. However, it is unfair for a gymnast to have to wear a leo where they cannot wear any kind of sports bra or a leo that makes them feel exposed or uncomfortable. Especially because it is usually the coach's decision and not the gymnast's, but of course there must be times where the gymnasts too love these kinds of leos and don't mind.

I hope for stricter regulations for elites regarding leos like the new ones to be in place for usag. I know there are many against these regulations, but I believe making all athletes feel comfortable is more important than the beauty of a leo. Some gymnasts don't get a choice in what they wear, so they should not be required by their gyms if they do not feel comfortable. And besides, leos can be both comfortable and beautiful.

I thought the leo was fine....
I didn't personally like the back (and neither YG or OG would want a back like that), but it did cover.
And I don't necessarily think she was adjusting it because she was worrying about something showing ... To me, she looks stronger this year. The cut of the front of the leotard at the top seemed to be going over part of the pectoral muscles. When OG wears a leotard that cuts that way, she tends to "readjust" the top too.

It’s not just pushing the boundaries, it bulldozed the boundaries. It was mesh, spaghetti straps, openings all down the back, barely covers the sides, comes in far from the armpits to the neck like a halter top or bikini.....My 9-year old did not like it either. I don’t think a Leo that barely covers a gymnast is beautiful. Why do we have to keep reducing the amount of material in their leotards? It’s not necessary.

If she’s happy with it, then it looks like an OK training leotard to me. Not terribly flattering from behind, but she’s under no obligation to wear things that we find flattering while she’s training.

I imagine she will be in something quite different for the actual competition.

Reactions: sun

The top front of the leotard appears to be mesh with no liner, so when the top dropped at the end, I absolutely think she pulled it up to keep from exposing herself.

Most sports design uniforms for performance. These mesh, cutout leotards are clearly not designed with the athlete’s ability to move as a top priority. It frustrates me that the athlete’s ability to perform is not what matters most, and it disturbs me that the athlete’s comfort is an afterthought.

Yeah, i didn't think it looked too revealing, but honestly, the halter type front just look uncomfortable when you are built like she is. She is such a muscular powerhouse and the way that front cuts in must drive her nuts, especially on bars. Honestly, i didn't think it was that pretty either.

If they were picking what they wanted to wear for themselves I would agree with you.

Although I do think the MG Elite gymnasts have more of a say in their leo choice as they model leos for Plum and others. MG Elite gymnasts tend to be in this type of a leo for as long as I can remember....might not be our choice of style but I agree with Raenndrops, Riley looks stronger and much more confident this year and I actually think the MG Elite leos look nice on her ...which makes me think she has some input on them.

I know when my oldest did elite back in the day, she got to pick the leo she wore for elite competition, down to designing it herself ...so I can't imagine, 13 years later , and as successful as the MG Elite girls have been, that they ( and probably most elite gymnasts) wouldn't have a say in the design of their leo. The leo companies give the leos to the girls to wear in these competitions (at least they did back then) so I'm sure they want the athlete to look happy in it.

If they were picking what they wanted to wear for themselves I would agree with you.

This. I don't care what women chose to wear in general, and I weigh the pros and cons of any sort of attire rule with the "don't police women's bodies" rule in the front of my mind. BUT when it comes to FIG rules regarding international competition attire and USAG rules regarding domestic competition attire at all levels, I do think we need to keep in mind that gymnasts having a lot of personal say (in a non-pressured, retaliation-free way) about what they wear to competitions and pre-comp training sessions is the exception to the rule, not the norm. Leotards are almost always chosen at the team-level, and this is a sport notorious for athletes being (justifiably) afraid to rock the boat.

I look at the leotard trends today and think about myself as a teenage level 9 or 10... I had boobs, and would not have been comfortable in a leotard I couldn't wear a decent bra with. I also would not have felt remotely comfortable saying anything about it, especially if my teammates seemed to like them (even if they had private thoughts otherwise). Do the top elites get more say in what they wear when representing their club? Sure. But leotard trends trickle down and it makes more sense for USAG to have consistent rules at all levels. We don't need to put the athletes in mumus, and it doesn't need to say anything about modesty or taste or all that bs, but basic rules that allow athletes to wear undergarments, don't require someone in the broadcast booth sitting with their finger on the censor button in case of wardrobe malfunctions, and keep athletes safe (no ties/loose ends on backs or necklines for example) are the lesser evil in my mind.

Although I do think the MG Elite gymnasts have more of a say in their leo choice as they model leos for Plum and others. MG Elite gymnasts tend to be in this type of a leo for as long as I can remember....might not be our choice of style but I agree with Raenndrops, Riley looks stronger and much more confident this year and I actually think the MG Elite leos look nice on her ...which makes me think she has some input on them.
Pretty sure that this particular club’s pushing the boundaries last year is what prompted USAG to remind everyone of their leotard guidelines and forced them to clarify the rule so specifically. My opinion is, don’t try so hard to stand out that it causes controversy and makes the governing body have to have a ruling on it. This particular leotard would have been just as pretty with a regular back or keyhole back or racer back, and there should have been enough coverage that the gymnast could wear proper undergarments.

Pretty sure that this particular club’s pushing the boundaries last year is what prompted USAG to remind everyone of their leotard guidelines and forced them to clarify the rule so specifically. My opinion is, don’t try so hard to stand out that it causes controversy and makes the governing body have to have a ruling on it. This particular leotard would have been just as pretty with a regular back or keyhole back or racer back, and there should have been enough coverage that the gymnast could wear proper undergarments.

Certain types of leos can have undergarments built into them so maybe they do... I think MG Elite's leos "push the boundaries" with their very light color choices so they look almost transparent sometimes...to be honest , that's what I've noticed as a "uh oh " moment with their leos in the past , not the cut, type of back or straps.

Yes, the leo bothered me a lot. I noticed in the still pics yesterday that she was starting to spill out the sides of the top, and it made me super uncomfortable for her. I don't care if Riley designed it herself and had full control - someone should have stepped in and overruled it. I know they like to push the boundaries with fashion at that gym, but if there was a "wardrobe malfunction" and she was on camera...it's just not worth it. No one - child or adult - should be put in that position.

The rule-follower part of me is irritated with the way they are choosing leos. It's super in-your-face, like we aren't going to comply until we absolutely have to. I don't know. Maybe they have had their choices lined up for a long time, but they can still have her wear them in the gym for practice and not at major competitions where she's on tv. I appreciate the discussion around this issue because (as was stated above), most kids will not have any say in their competition attire and these trends trickle down. No one should have to compete in something that distracts them from what they are there to focus on. I'm sorry, but if you're constantly adjusting and picking apt your leo or thinking about how your chest is about to spill out then you are distracted and that's not safe. It's not a gender-bias thing either. If the men came out wearing something that did not hold their private parts in, you can be darn sure people would talk about it.

I think the back was fine. It seemed like it provided enough support. And I liked the colors and design in general but I was bothered by the top front as it does not provide enough coverage. After her bar dismount, the mesh had ridden down to mid chest level. and the sides had moved in to expose part of her breast. One, that can't be comfortable physically but also psychologically. It doesn't matter if there is a liner there or not. It is the perception of exposing a private area. If the mesh was designed to stay up higher and keep the chest covered properly, then no problem but this leo did not succeed in that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back