WAG Michigan compulsories

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sce

Proud Parent
I have just heard something quite puzzling to me. In Michigan, for low level co
Pilloried, kids can compete the routine from a higher level. So say a girl is level 1, she might compete the level 2 floor routine in her level 1 competition? Sounds crazy, no idea how that would really work well. Anyone with actual experience with this in Michigan?

I am in Michigan and I am not aware that this occurs. Most competitions in Michigan hold “fun” meets for levels 1, 2 and pre-3. Instead of receiving scores, each gymnast receives a performance ribbon on every event. All level 1 gymnasts perform the level one JO routines. The same is true for level 2 and level 3. My daughters participated in these fun meets for two years.

Reactions: sce
I am in Michigan and I am not aware that this occurs. Most competitions in Michigan hold “fun” meets for levels 1, 2 and pre-3. Instead of receiving scores, each gymnast receives a performance ribbon on every event. All level 1 gymnasts perform the level one JO routines. The same is true for level 2 and level 3. My daughters participated in these fun meets for two years.
Thanks. This Mom made little sense to me. Made a big deal about holding her kid back from the level the gym recomeneded, but then said she still gets to compete routines from the level above when she is ready. (after getting a certian ribbon.) It makes not sense. Why not just compete the next level?

Thanks. This Mom made little sense to me. Made a big deal about holding her kid back from the level the gym recomeneded, but then said she still gets to compete routines from the level above when she is ready. (after getting a certian ribbon.) It makes not sense. Why not just compete the next level?

Perhaps she has the tumbling to compete floor but lacks the necessary bar or beam skills to be be fully ready to move on to the next level.

Perhaps she has the tumbling to compete floor but lacks the necessary bar or beam skills to be be fully ready to move on to the next level.
The coaches wanted her in level 2, Mom put her in level 1. Now they want her in level 3 and mom wants her in level 2. I would assume she has more than just floor skills, since it is the coach's recommended level.

Maybe they are actually just having her train with the lower group and compete at the higher level to keep mom happy?

Maybe they are actually just having her train with the lower group and compete at the higher level to keep mom happy?
There is definitely something not clear about what is happeniing, could be this is it.

This is for the fun meet competitions here in Michigan. When my daughter was a level 2, they would do the level 2-floor, beam & bar routine, but level 3 vault.

This is for the fun meet competitions here in Michigan. When my daughter was a level 2, they would do the level 2-floor, beam & bar routine, but level 3 vault.
Just out of curiosity, are you sure they weren't just doing the level 2 vault at the maximum allowable mat stack height? The level 2 and level 3 vaults vary only in mat stack height and both allow a height of 32" (generally one large resi mat + one 8" mat on top).

Just out of curiosity, are you sure they weren't just doing the level 2 vault at the maximum allowable mat stack height? The level 2 and level 3 vaults vary only in mat stack height and both allow a height of 32" (generally one large resi mat + one 8" mat on top).
The Mom said that once they get a certain ribbon or score, they learn the next level routines and compete them at the meets for their current level. So a level 2 girls would compte the level 3 routine on say bars, if they got a certian score at previous meets.

I said what I said.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back