Parents Mill circle question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So they can compete a bar routine with a skill missing and they will just get a lower score?
They can be spotted on the missing skills or attempt and fall (safely, of course)... And the scores will suffer, but with excellent form on the other skills, it isnt like they would be completely terrible (and will be higher than a 0.00 for scratching). We have a few L3 that tend to fall on front hip, shoot thru (for one or two) and mill circle. Depending on the number of falls and form on other skills, they score between 5 and mid 7s.

My DD did 5 meets as a Level 3. She hit all of her skills in only two of them (she either messed up the shoot through or the mill circle in the other three). She was never lower than high 7s, often low 8s even with the missing skill. Not ideal, but not the worst situation. She's a Level 4 now and was terrified of having to repeat Level 3 because of that stupid mill circle (and she can do all the Level 4 bar skills- they're not super pretty but they're getting better).

My point is, she was inconsistent all year in practice and in meets on the shoot through/mill circle, but the coaches still let her compete as she was fine on everything else. She was fine. But every gym has their own policies, I'm sure!

Based on what she thinks her coach told her at practice this week, it's possible they are not planning on having her compete much (or at all?) at Level 3, so maybe that's why they haven't been working on it. She certainly has a ways to go to get all of her Level 4 skills though, but I guess, given her age, maybe it makes sense to not spend a lot of time on some of the Level 3 skills. She thought maybe he said something about doing an in house meet at Level 3, so maybe a missing/or bad mill circle won't be a big deal. I haven't been told anything yet, so I should probably quit guessing and just wait and see! =)

The mill circle is required at both level 2 and 3 so she would need that either way. I do think learning to perform it well and successfully may take longer than 3 months but I'm not a coach so what do I know? My daughter started level 2 at 6 and it took her from May to November to get her mill circle and just in the last few months is it really done well with straight legs, pointed toes, and the required lift at the end...this is now about 20 months from first starting it! But, she was quite a bit younger than your DD so she might catch on more quickly.
That's what I love about AAU--no mill circle! They do a single leg squat through to front support/leg swing back in level 2, then in level 3 they do a squat on, jump to high bar, tap swing dismount. I always hated that mill circle when my oldest had to compete it. My ydd will not have to.

And just to prove I've not lost my mind (because I can't find a single YouTube video to use as an example), here's the text:

AAU Level 2 Bars

Follow the USAG Level 2 Bars deductions for the elements below except for where specific deductions are included: Warm up time 45 seconds

1. Back Hip Pullover Mount (0.60)

2. Cast (0.40)

3. Back Hip Circle (0.40)

4. *Single Leg Squat Through (0.20)

Leg/foot contacting bar on squat through

Failure to show clear stride support at end of squat through

5. Back Leg Swing (0.20)

More than two hand placement adjustments
    Leg not clear of bar on back swing
    Failure to finish in extended front support Performing leg cut (simultaneous hand placement)
6A. Cast, Squat-On Sole Circle Dismount (0.60) 6B. Cast, Underswing Dismount (0.60)

*AAU Level 3 Bars

up to 0.20 up to 0.20

up to 0.20 up to 0.20 up to 0.10

page5image11872

Follow the USAG Level 3 Bars deductions for the mount choices 1A/1B plus the # 3 Back Hip Circle (as below) for the remainder of the routine to follow the specific AAU changes. Warm up time 1 minute

1A. Glide Swing and Return (.20)/ Back Hip Pullover (0.40)
1B. Straddle or Pike Glide Kip (0.60)
2. Cast (Minimum of 15 ̊ Below Horizontal) Return to Front Support
(0.40)

Insufficient amplitude of cast (line from shoulders to feet) 15° below horizontal
16° to 45° below horizontal
More than 46° below horizontal

Incorrect body alignment (hollow chest/straight line from

shoulders to feet)

1. Back Hip Circle (0.40)

2. Cast Squat-On (0.20)

Alternate foot placement

Insufficient back leg swing (hip lift only)

3. Long Hang Pullover (0.60)
up to 0.30 No deduction 0.05 – 0.15

0.20 – 0.30 up to 0.20

up to 0.20 0.05

up to 0.20 0.10 up to 0.20

page6image7824

Failure to maintain hollow body position between LB and HB Failure to show slight arch position at bottom of downswing Excessive piking of body

page6image9560

1. Underswing, First Counterswing (minimum of 30° below horizontal) (0.60)

Underswing
    Failure to maintain straight hollow body position throughout
    Hips contacting bar (no deduction for thighs contacting bar)
    1st Counterswing
    Hips not a minimum of 30 ° below level of the HB
    Failure to show straight line from hands to hips (chest hollow/rounded hip angle with feet pointed downward) up to 0.20 Body arched and/or hip angle open with feet extended over LB 0.30

2. Tap Swing Forward, Second Counterswing (minimum of 30° below horizontal (0.60)
    Tap swing forward
    Failure to show slight arch position at bottom of downswing
page6image15664

up to 0.20 0.20

page6image16496
page6image16656

Failure to attain straight hollow body position on upswing
Insufficient amplitude (feet not at HB height)
Second Counterswing
Hips not a minimum of 30° below level of high bar
Failure to show straight line from hands to hips (chest hollow/rounded hip angle with feet pointed downward) up to 0.20

up to 0.20

page6image20232
page6image20392

0.10 up to 0.20 up to 0.20

page6image21448
page6image21608

up to 0.20 Effective Sept 1, 2013 (up dated as of 07-28-14) Page 6

page6image22840
page6image23000

Body arched and/or hip angle open with feet extended over LB 0.30

8. Straight Drop Dismount

Failure to show straight line from hands to hips with chest hollow up to 0.20 Failure to maintain straight hollow body position during drop up to 0.20

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back